Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Default Always wet?

So I've noticed since I picked Obie up, under his left eye coming from his inner eye down one of his folds is always seemingly "wet". Is this alright?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Always wet?

Yes it happens. The folds also for a drainage path. Mine has it certain times of the year and with certain foods. I clean under the eye with witch hazel and apply corn starch to dry. He has gotten a cheek irritation from not cleaning before.

What are you feeding? Watch out for red face, ears, or paws for more of an allergic reaction.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    Yes it happens. The folds also for a drainage path. Mine has it certain times of the year and with certain foods. I clean under the eye with witch hazel and apply corn starch to dry. He has gotten a cheek irritation from not cleaning before.

What are you feeding? Watch out for red face, ears, or paws for more of an allergic reaction.
    I can't really if his face is more red or not, you can just kinda see the skin tone through his white face. His stool has not been super runny or hard. About the right "consistency". He's still on diamond natural because that's what he came from the breeder on, I plan to switch him but I figured not to throw everything in his face at once.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Just keep an eye on it and clean his face daily. As you get to know him and his body and have a cleaning and food regimen you will start to know what is normal or not. Wet eyes are not necessarily abnormal and you may be able to adjust with food and environment. As long as the fluid is clear I wouldn't worry.

Also don't forget to clean the tail pocket. I didn't know that and mine got an infection.

7. Likes ObietheWan, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

I love the advice given here Also, just a thought, I think it's good that you didn't change the food immediately as then at least you know thats not the reason for the new drip. Do make sure you dry as often as comfortable to keep those dang stains at bay. Now, if he was drippy when you brought him home, I'd think mabie a change of food would be a good thing to get started. Just some thoughts. I'm sure more a commin

Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Yes this happens to Ellie as well, especially this time of year, gota keep any eye on her folds, but Ellie also gets the Witch Hazel wipes, and it keeps it at bay

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

10. Likes Chunky White, Reggies Parents liked this post
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Just keep an eye on it and clean his face daily. As you get to know him and his body and have a cleaning and food regimen you will start to know what is normal or not. Wet eyes are not necessarily abnormal and you may be able to adjust with food and environment. As long as the fluid is clear I wouldn't worry.

Also don't forget to clean the tail pocket. I didn't know that and mine got an infection.
    How often do you clean it? I haven't yet, but have bought wipes to do so.

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ObietheWan View Post
    How often do you clean it? I haven't yet, but have bought wipes to do so.

It depends on the season and allergies. Typically his face and and wrinkles are done once a day. I wet cotton rounds with witch hazel and apply. Then I apply corn starch to dry as needed. Teeth are brushed once a day. Ears are twice a week. I alternate between witch hazel and apple cider vinegar. If ears are really bad I use a 50/50 mixture or isopropyl alcohol and ACV. I use raw and unfiltered ACV. I also add a little ACV to his water. You can also use ACV to clean the face.

I clean in between his toes once a week if not more. In the summer we have to do it lot to prevent interdigital cysts. His tail pocket is cleaned once a month but it has never been bad. He is bathed once a month. I don't bathe too often because Iike to let his natural oils build. If he is itchy I use a distilled water, green tea, and ACV recipe I found on dogs naturally.

That is my regimen. You will find your own as you understand his skin and reactions to things. As you can tell, I like more natural remedies.

I also apply coconut oil as moisturizer as needed and give him some in his food.

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

If he's on Diamond Puppy...that's not good food.
    "Chicken By-Product Meal, Whole Grain Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)..."
    Diamond Naturals Puppy not as bad.

If he's on the regular Diamond Puppy then please change it right away. I would not bother with a gradual switch. If his stool is a little loose for a day or two that's not a big deal.
    Orijen, Fromm, Acana...something grain free may be all he needs to settle those eyes down. Some bullies have issues with seasonal allergies early on but it's usually an issue with dogs that are a bit older. Could also be an early sign of entropion. Have him evaluated at his first Vet check.

Please post some more pics.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

I like this and..... here I go again but............. can you tell your green tea, distilled water acv recepie sounds like what I need on hand for between baths? I didn't similar I think and added a drop of peppermint oil I think,,, but just don't remember ...
    It depends on the season and allergies. Typically his face and and wrinkles are done once a day. I wet cotton rounds with witch hazel and apply. Then I apply corn starch to dry as needed. Teeth are brushed once a day. Ears are twice a week. I alternate between witch hazel and apple cider vinegar. If ears are really bad I use a 50/50 mixture or isopropyl alcohol and ACV. I use raw and unfiltered ACV. I also add a little ACV to his water. You can also use ACV to clean the face.

I clean in between his toes once a week if not more. In the summer we have to do it lot to prevent interdigital cysts. His tail pocket is cleaned once a month but it has never been bad. He is bathed once a month. I don't bathe too often because Iike to let his natural oils build. If he is itchy I use a distilled water, green tea, and ACV recipe I found on dogs naturally.

That is my regimen. You will find your own as you understand his skin and reactions to things. As you can tell, I like more natural remedies.

I also apply coconut oil as moisturizer as needed and give him some in his food.

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if I understood your regimen correctly, but I wouldn't recommend undiluted apple cider vinegar in the ear or on the skin. I would use it mixed half and half with witch hazel or half and half with alcohol for the ears. Personally, I think witch hazel is less irritating than alcohol. If your dog is really yeasty ( smelling like corn chips and itchy ) I would recommend bathing with Malaseb or Curaseb weekly instead of regular shampoo, even twice weekly for the first week or two. Leave the shampoo in the fur for 15 minutes before washing off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads