Always wet?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I'm not sure if I understood your regimen correctly, but I wouldn't recommend undiluted apple cider vinegar in the ear or on the skin. I would use it mixed half and half with witch hazel or half and half with alcohol for the ears. Personally, I think witch hazel is less irritating than alcohol. If your dog is really yeasty ( smelling like corn chips and itchy ) I would recommend bathing with Malaseb or Curaseb weekly instead of regular shampoo, even twice weekly for the first week or two. Leave the shampoo in the fur for 15 minutes before washing off.

I usually mix the ACV. Witch hazel is my go to. But if he is really irritated I bring out ACV mixture or mix on cotton pad.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Not all bulldogs have a tail pocket you have to worry about cleaning. Both of mine don't, so all I do is a quick wipe with a wet wipe after a messy poo. But if your puppy has a deep tail pocket (immediately below tail ) then you need to wash out and THEN DRY every day or 2 days. eg baby wipe dipped in witch hazel to clean pocket till no hair comes out, then dry with a paper towel.

If pocket is ever really sore then put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

There's a lot of info in this site's FAQ English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

Thanks for all the info guys :) I wiped his puppy booty today, and will do the face and folds tomorrow after I go to the store. I know bulldogs have breathing problems, but is it normal for their nose to sound like they have a cold, mucus n all, mixed with short breaths? It's not a constant thing, only sometimes. If it gets "bad" to me, I wake him and move him to his tummy next to me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the info guys :) I wiped his puppy booty today, and will do the face and folds tomorrow after I go to the store. I know bulldogs have breathing problems, but is it normal for their nose to sound like they have a cold, mucus n all, mixed with short breaths? It's not a constant thing, only sometimes. If it gets "bad" to me, I wake him and move him to his tummy next to me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Get this on video if you can... some is normal but with puppy you want to make sure it is not an upper respiratory infection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
So I've noticed since I picked Obie up, under his left eye coming from his inner eye down one of his folds is always seemingly "wet". Is this alright?

Some solid advice by the others as usual.
Dooley had this with his eyes early on also. It went away with a food change. He still gets a little watery from time to time as the seasons change. I just keep them as clean as possible and hes good to go.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
They recommend 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 water for the ears in that article. Most people here would use 1/2 apple cider vinegar ( Braggs brand ) and 1/2 witch hazel, since witch hazel will dry out the ears, which is something you want.

FANTASTIC!!!
Dooley usually gets a couple ear infections a year. I have a couple flushes and cleaners from the vet I use. Ill have to give this ACV flush a try.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.