Always wet?

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
So I've noticed since I picked Obie up, under his left eye coming from his inner eye down one of his folds is always seemingly "wet". Is this alright?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Yes it happens. The folds also for a drainage path. Mine has it certain times of the year and with certain foods. I clean under the eye with witch hazel and apply corn starch to dry. He has gotten a cheek irritation from not cleaning before.

What are you feeding? Watch out for red face, ears, or paws for more of an allergic reaction.

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Yes it happens. The folds also for a drainage path. Mine has it certain times of the year and with certain foods. I clean under the eye with witch hazel and apply corn starch to dry. He has gotten a cheek irritation from not cleaning before.

What are you feeding? Watch out for red face, ears, or paws for more of an allergic reaction.
I can't really if his face is more red or not, you can just kinda see the skin tone through his white face. His stool has not been super runny or hard. About the right "consistency". He's still on diamond natural because that's what he came from the breeder on, I plan to switch him but I figured not to throw everything in his face at once.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Just keep an eye on it and clean his face daily. As you get to know him and his body and have a cleaning and food regimen you will start to know what is normal or not. Wet eyes are not necessarily abnormal and you may be able to adjust with food and environment. As long as the fluid is clear I wouldn't worry.

Also don't forget to clean the tail pocket. I didn't know that and mine got an infection.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I love the advice given here :) Also, just a thought, I think it's good that you didn't change the food immediately as then at least you know thats not the reason for the new drip. Do make sure you dry as often as comfortable to keep those dang stains at bay. Now, if he was drippy when you brought him home, I'd think mabie a change of food would be a good thing to get started. Just some thoughts. I'm sure more a commin :)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

Yes this happens to Ellie as well, especially this time of year, gota keep any eye on her folds, but Ellie also gets the Witch Hazel wipes, and it keeps it at bay

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Just keep an eye on it and clean his face daily. As you get to know him and his body and have a cleaning and food regimen you will start to know what is normal or not. Wet eyes are not necessarily abnormal and you may be able to adjust with food and environment. As long as the fluid is clear I wouldn't worry.

Also don't forget to clean the tail pocket. I didn't know that and mine got an infection.
How often do you clean it? I haven't yet, but have bought wipes to do so.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
How often do you clean it? I haven't yet, but have bought wipes to do so.

It depends on the season and allergies. Typically his face and and wrinkles are done once a day. I wet cotton rounds with witch hazel and apply. Then I apply corn starch to dry as needed. Teeth are brushed once a day. Ears are twice a week. I alternate between witch hazel and apple cider vinegar. If ears are really bad I use a 50/50 mixture or isopropyl alcohol and ACV. I use raw and unfiltered ACV. I also add a little ACV to his water. You can also use ACV to clean the face.

I clean in between his toes once a week if not more. In the summer we have to do it lot to prevent interdigital cysts. His tail pocket is cleaned once a month but it has never been bad. He is bathed once a month. I don't bathe too often because Iike to let his natural oils build. If he is itchy I use a distilled water, green tea, and ACV recipe I found on dogs naturally.

That is my regimen. You will find your own as you understand his skin and reactions to things. As you can tell, I like more natural remedies.

I also apply coconut oil as moisturizer as needed and give him some in his food.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If he's on Diamond Puppy...that's not good food.
"Chicken By-Product Meal, Whole Grain Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)..."
Diamond Naturals Puppy not as bad.

If he's on the regular Diamond Puppy then please change it right away. I would not bother with a gradual switch. If his stool is a little loose for a day or two that's not a big deal.
Orijen, Fromm, Acana...something grain free may be all he needs to settle those eyes down. Some bullies have issues with seasonal allergies early on but it's usually an issue with dogs that are a bit older. Could also be an early sign of entropion. Have him evaluated at his first Vet check.

Please post some more pics.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I like this and..... here I go again but............. can you tell your green tea, distilled water acv recepie :) sounds like what I need on hand for between baths? I didn't similar I think and added a drop of peppermint oil I think,,, but just don't remember ...
It depends on the season and allergies. Typically his face and and wrinkles are done once a day. I wet cotton rounds with witch hazel and apply. Then I apply corn starch to dry as needed. Teeth are brushed once a day. Ears are twice a week. I alternate between witch hazel and apple cider vinegar. If ears are really bad I use a 50/50 mixture or isopropyl alcohol and ACV. I use raw and unfiltered ACV. I also add a little ACV to his water. You can also use ACV to clean the face.

I clean in between his toes once a week if not more. In the summer we have to do it lot to prevent interdigital cysts. His tail pocket is cleaned once a month but it has never been bad. He is bathed once a month. I don't bathe too often because Iike to let his natural oils build. If he is itchy I use a distilled water, green tea, and ACV recipe I found on dogs naturally.

That is my regimen. You will find your own as you understand his skin and reactions to things. As you can tell, I like more natural remedies.

I also apply coconut oil as moisturizer as needed and give him some in his food.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm not sure if I understood your regimen correctly, but I wouldn't recommend undiluted apple cider vinegar in the ear or on the skin. I would use it mixed half and half with witch hazel or half and half with alcohol for the ears. Personally, I think witch hazel is less irritating than alcohol. If your dog is really yeasty ( smelling like corn chips and itchy ) I would recommend bathing with Malaseb or Curaseb weekly instead of regular shampoo, even twice weekly for the first week or two. Leave the shampoo in the fur for 15 minutes before washing off.

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Thanks for all the info guys :) I wiped his puppy booty today, and will do the face and folds tomorrow after I go to the store. I know bulldogs have breathing problems, but is it normal for their nose to sound like they have a cold, mucus n all, mixed with short breaths? It's not a constant thing, only sometimes. If it gets "bad" to me, I wake him and move him to his tummy next to me.

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
If he's on Diamond Puppy...that's not good food.
"Chicken By-Product Meal, Whole Grain Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)..."
Diamond Naturals Puppy not as bad.

If he's on the regular Diamond Puppy then please change it right away. I would not bother with a gradual switch. If his stool is a little loose for a day or two that's not a big deal.
Orijen, Fromm, Acana...something grain free may be all he needs to settle those eyes down. Some bullies have issues with seasonal allergies early on but it's usually an issue with dogs that are a bit older. Could also be an early sign of entropion. Have him evaluated at his first Vet check.

Please post some more pics.
It's diamond natural puppy. His stool is not quite soft serve level... Put it this way. His accidents I can usually pick up with no "smudge." Not hard as diamonds though.

I have a bag of orijen large breed PUPPY (purple label) for him , just figured I'd wait til towards the end to start mixing to ease the transition.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.