Thread: Heartgard sensitivity?

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel and Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Default Heartgard sensitivity?

Hey guys! I have Diesel his first heartgard heart work preventive yesterday. Today he pooped about 6 times and it's soft. He is also lethargic... could it be the heartgard???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Heartgard sensitivity?

that is something I would call and ask the vet right away.... may be normal but I would check. I once gave my cat a topical thing and w/in a few min she was paralyzed... I ran to the sink and started washing her off right away, over and over,, and she couldn't do anything about it as she was stiff.. saved her life. those things can either be just fine, or dangerous depending on your animal... i'd call (but then I'm a bug)

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel and Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    that is something I would call and ask the vet right away.... may be normal but I would check. I once gave my cat a topical thing and w/in a few min she was paralyzed... I ran to the sink and started washing her off right away, over and over,, and she couldn't do anything about it as she was stiff.. saved her life. those things can either be just fine, or dangerous depending on your animal... i'd call (but then I'm a bug)
    He's acting better now, running around and playing. He's been sleeping a lot today but perked up tonight. He's eating and drinking fine... I'll see how he is tonight and call in the morning if he's no better.. thanks!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

awww sounds just fine then so happy

6. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoboardchk911 View Post
    He's acting better now, running around and playing. He's been sleeping a lot today but perked up tonight. He's eating and drinking fine... I'll see how he is tonight and call in the morning if he's no better.. thanks!!
    Often side effects is diarrhea, vomiting etc. Just keep an eye out since it's new. I personally never gave any of these drugs. Often the chewable ones are not chewed properly and doesn't go into the dog's system properly.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Glad he's ok ! Heartguard has a low dose of ivermectin, Talk to your vet about trying milbemycin (Sentinel or Interceptor) if you want to still give heartworm prevention orally,. If you prefer topical heartworm prevention you can try Revolution or Advantage Multi . You don't need to use too often- every 2 months is fine, and in cold climates like Toronto where I live we only need to give from June to December. So I will probably just use my Advantage Multi or Interceptor on June 1, Sept 1, November 1 and Jan 1.

10. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoboardchk911 View Post

Glad to hear he is doing better...

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Often side effects is diarrhea, vomiting etc. Just keep an eye out since it's new. I personally never gave any of these drugs. Often the chewable ones are not chewed properly and doesn't go into the dog's system properly.
    If you don't mind me asking..what did you use.I hate giving ours chemicals and would love alternatives.Thank you

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christie H View Post
    If you don't mind me asking..what did you use.I hate giving ours chemicals and would love alternatives.Thank you

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Oh dear. Its a good list but once you have all on hand its a breeze as you mix it. There's a great site that explains it really well. Oh and to keep mosquito away....lavender is a great oil.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...orm-treatment/

Natural Heartworm Prevention

Natural Heartworm Prevention

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

There is a way you can minimize heartworm drug side effects- by duplicating the Safeheart heartworm “prevention” method — which you can’t buy — you have split the Interceptor (milbemycin) dose into quarters. The recommended Safeheart once-a-month dosage is 0.1 mg of milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight (0.05 mg/lb). (Interceptor’s regular dose of dosage is 0.5 mg milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight.) Note: At this dose, only heartworms will be treated with the Safeheart method, not other worms or fleas. https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary.../ucm054862.htm

If you repeat this minimal milbemycin dose every 6-8 weeks ( instead of 4 weeks ) you will have exposed your dog to extremely low doses of dewormer. You probably should still deworm your dog twice a year with Panacur which has few side effects if you use this method.

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel and Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    There is a way you can minimize heartworm drug side effects- by duplicating the Safeheart heartworm “prevention” method — which you can’t buy — you have split the Interceptor (milbemycin) dose into quarters. The recommended Safeheart once-a-month dosage is 0.1 mg of milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight (0.05 mg/lb). (Interceptor’s regular dose of dosage is 0.5 mg milbemycin oxime per kg of body weight.) Note: At this dose, only heartworms will be treated with the Safeheart method, not other worms or fleas. https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary.../ucm054862.htm

If you repeat this minimal milbemycin dose every 6-8 weeks ( instead of 4 weeks ) you will have exposed your dog to extremely low doses of dewormer. You probably should still deworm your dog twice a year with Panacur which has few side effects if you use this method.
    Thank you so much! That is very helpful!

Remove Ads