Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I'm starting to get things for the new guy who comes home on April 29 at 10 weeks old. Any ideas on what size harness and collar I should have at that age? Small? Medium?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
3/4" Martingale for a collar is what we use up to 40 lbs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We bought a medium... lasted a few months and then I donated to a rescue ;)

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We bought a medium... lasted a few months and then I donated to a rescue ;)

I was thinking a medium would be good because it would be used for at least a few months. And even as puppies, they have girth. The harness I want to get is about $40 so I want to wait on that until he is grown.

bulldogsoccer

Mar 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Patrick
I just got a medium of the collar below for Elsie who is 8 weeks old

077610c2306522150317f7c3c080fef4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I just got a medium of the collar below for Elsie who is 8 weeks old

077610c2306522150317f7c3c080fef4.jpg

Thanks! I ordered a size medium in a step-in mesh harness and I was rummaging through closets yesterday and found an old collar (size medium) of Jax's that I will use for the new guy until he outgrows it.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Thanks! I ordered a size medium in a step-in mesh harness and I was rummaging through closets yesterday and found an old collar (size medium) of Jax's that I will use for the new guy until he outgrows it.

I love the collar. Where did you get it?

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

bulldogsoccer

Mar 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Patrick
The website is Lucyand.co

They are a local store in MN. Super nice people great products. This collar is a collaboration with fairbault woolen mills.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm starting to get things for the new guy who comes home on April 29 at 10 weeks old. Any ideas on what size harness and collar I should have at that age? Small? Medium?

Hi it really depends on the make or brand of collar or harness you buy, as they are all made different and not all brands have the same size guide, plus Bulldogs tend to always need bigger rather than smaller due to their thick necks and broader chests. We have Kong Collars, and K9 Julius Harnesses for our guys. We have Large Collars and Size 1 for the Hanesses. My guys weigh 45 and 49 lbs. which brand of collar or harness are you looking at?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I have the license and chip tag on his 'breakaway' collar. It's one that will pull apart if he ever gets stuck. He did that on the porch couch as a youngin.. He liked to get under everything and his license got hung up on a spring.. thank goodness I hadn't put the heavy duty clip on it yet and it spread apart and let him loose. for me, lesson learned. Now if he's out playing and he gets hung up on something the collar will 'break away' ;) then for his Other walking, we have his martingale (with quick release), and his Julius k9 harness. (and then a few more as that's kind of fun for us..

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Hi it really depends on the make or brand of collar or harness you buy, as they are all made different and not all brands have the same size guide, plus Bulldogs tend to always need bigger rather than smaller due to their thick necks and broader chests. We have Kong Collars, and K9 Julius Harnesses for our guys. We have Large Collars and Size 1 for the Hanesses. My guys weigh 45 and 49 lbs. which brand of collar or harness are you looking at?

I was looking at this but not until he's older and grown since it's not cheap https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LHY0FEY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2G7B63FOSFZJZ. So in the meantime I got him a mesh step-in in a medium. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's similar to a Voyager. I have a Kong collar for my Frenchie that I love so I'll probably get another one.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have the license and chip tag on his 'breakaway' collar. It's one that will pull apart if he ever gets stuck. He did that on the porch couch as a youngin.. He liked to get under everything and his license got hung up on a spring.. thank goodness I hadn't put the heavy duty clip on it yet and it spread apart and let him loose. for me, lesson learned. Now if he's out playing and he gets hung up on something the collar will 'break away' ;) then for his Other walking, we have his martingale (with quick release), and his Julius k9 harness. (and then a few more as that's kind of fun for us..

I remember reading that they can get their collars stuck on something and choke to death. Because of that, I don't do collars while inside of the house. I looked at the Julius K9 but it looked so bulky.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online