Last minute knowledge?

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I agree with getting a crate, it's a safe spot for your babe, his safe place. However I'm a bad Mom because every new pup I bring home, I put them in my bed with me the first few nights. They sleep by my head. I loop a rolled towel into a circle and place them in it. Why? Because I had to work the next day and the pups did better sleeping with a warm body and did great thru the night. It also helped with bonding. Also if they start crying, I was woken and I'd take them outside right away. When the pup wakes, we go outside right away. When the pup eats, we go outside. And I took them out on an hourly schedule for potty training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks everyone for the replies! Would it be okay to put his kennel up on a nightstand next to my bed when I go to sleep? I am quite the wiggle worm in bed, and wouldn't mind him sleeping with me, but not until I trust him in the house, and until he's big enough to kick me out of the bed, haha. Here's a picture of the room I planned to gate off for him, and he has been known to use puppy pads with the breeder, so I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea to use them at my house. Where would be the best place to put it in this photo? View attachment 105015
I wouldn't put him on the nightstand - maybe just on the floor by you...

The room looks great, lay out some pads for him to get used too. Praise him for using them, and reward him. Make sure there is nothing in his reach or on the floor that he could eat. Toys, socks, etc. I would also keep his crate in this area - open, with a blanket so he can go in and nap if he wants. Make it a "safe" place for him.

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
I wouldn't put him on the nightstand - maybe just on the floor by you...

The room looks great, lay out some pads for him to get used too. Praise him for using them, and reward him. Make sure there is nothing in his reach or on the floor that he could eat. Toys, socks, etc. I would also keep his crate in this area - open, with a blanket so he can go in and nap if he wants. Make it a "safe" place for him.

I've got a crate already, would he do okay between me moving the crate from the bedroom at night to in the play area during the day?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I've got a crate already, would he do okay between me moving the crate from the bedroom at night to in the play area during the day?
I don't see any problems with that. Eventually once he has his routine and is house broken - you'll likely not need the crate at night, and you can leave it in his play area. You might ask the breeder or whoever you are getting him from for maybe a small blanket/towel or toy that he's used so he has the "scent" with him for the first few days. He'll be sad being away from mom & siblings so item, whatever it might be will help. They are very needy, so lots of loving and reassurance, cuddles, etc. Bulldogs LOVE/ADORE their humans. Its just in the breed.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
your setup looks perfect :) and yep, moving crate back and forth IMO is just perfect... Hank has two homes.. I'm with him in each but the back and forth I think has been good for him and has kept him quite adaptable to change where some have a hard time with that. We also started right off traveling and headed to a few states toting him with us at 4 months! So, even though I didn't close the door to crate hardly ever, it was a wonderful safe familiar place for him wherever we went. haha, he slept on the bed but 'it' was there ;)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
This is my pug Lola. Like you I brought her home at night so we didn't get a lot of time that night to bond and yes she ended up in my bed with me. What I did was picked her up, brought her home, introduced her to her crate, also her food and water, we also went outside and I stayed with her, praised her for going potty. But she stayed in my lap most of the night. I had her crate next to my bed and placed her in it but she woke in the night so I got up, took her outside. She was full of energy of course so we played on my bed a bit but she did end up sleeping with me.

58d63384defbe19f00bba39167f10ac0.jpg

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
I don't see any problems with that. Eventually once he has his routine and is house broken - you'll likely not need the crate at night, and you can leave it in his play area. You might ask the breeder or whoever you are getting him from for maybe a small blanket/towel or toy that he's used so he has the "scent" with him for the first few days. He'll be sad being away from mom & siblings so item, whatever it might be will help. They are very needy, so lots of loving and reassurance, cuddles, etc. Bulldogs LOVE/ADORE their humans. Its just in the breed.

The gang sure has given some great info... can't wait to see pictures.

One toy that worked wonders for me with Lambeau was the Nylabone keys... they are a softer rubber and I would place them in the freezer for a few minutes before giving them to him so they were close to frozen... it really helped with his teething

I already bought two nylabones. Haha. Talk about over prepared.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I didn't crate train Chunky but bought him a crate which he does use when i am not home but its in the mud/laundry room which I closed the door on when I couldn't be around. I trained him to go outside by taking him out every two hours and praising him when he went outside. He did pretty well with me doing that but still had some accidents up until 6 months or so.

I wrapped him up in a blanket for the ride home and almost two years later he still sleeps on it not matter where in the house he is. Some people put a analog alarm clock that ticks in the room with the pup to act like a heartbeat

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
So I go to get my puppers tonight!
I will be getting him at night which I know isn't the most ideal time to bring a new baby home, so I was wondering if any of you veterans have any tips or tricks to the first few days at home with a new puppy? As far as when to begin crate training, when to start giving him toys, and the best ways to help him feel comfortable?

Daphne has used her crate from day one. I bought an extra large crate with a divider. I used the divider for about a month. She was very easily housebroken and never had an accident in her crate. Her crate is in the master bedroom.

We feed her in her crate. She is a snufgleluffagus and would steal the other dogs' food if we didn't leave her in her crate until everyone else was finished.

We crate her when we leave the house. She likes to rip up newspapers and other print materials. She ripped up about 100 little packets of eye glass cleaners the one and only time we left her free and ran out to the post office.

She loves her den/bedroom and never complains about being in it. As soon as she sees her food bowl, she runs to the crate. When we start shutting off the lights at night she knows it's treat time in the crate and off she trots. All of our dogs are crate trained.
f0b3e1164ee9591e9e082944defb8d0a.jpg

49d665da452c3f020e6107c18e64bad7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well, the law is quite strict here. Dogs under four months may not be left alone except for very short periods of time, for instance. It is against the law to crate dogs as well as to have them in small playpens. If you have a crate, it mustn't have a door (so a crate with the door fully removed seems ok but not one with a door that can be closed).

A few exceptions, though (apart from at veterinary hospitals if the dog needs to rest or be kept in isolation): at shows and during tests there are sertain regulations, and dogs may be crated for transport. We have a safety crate in our car, which Castor is in when we drive. That's another law here... dogs must be crated or belted in the car.

These regulations are motivated by research on the psycholocical well-being of animals; the Swedish Board of Agriculture cites numerous studies motivating the law.

And to answer your question, yes, they do sell crates here, and I am sure there are people who crate their dogs, although it's against the law.

Certain things differ between our countries and the way animals are kept. Neutering is still quite rare here, for instance. There are no strays, so neutering is not required for that reason, and I would think there's also the idea that the gene pool would be undesirably small if many dogs were neutered.

Now that was interesting and I get it if there are no strays. Make sense in a way.

I crated Nyala from 3 months to about 5 months. Then her door always stayed open. Her crate was her little getaway. She loved going to bed at night in her crate. Eventually I packed it up as she can sleep anywhere she wants in the house which is 90% of the time.... the sofa :)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
It's my 3:00 AM wake up (insomnia) and I woke thinking about your new baby! How was the evening???? I told Husband about you and his response was we were not getting any new puppies.

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
It's my 3:00 AM wake up (insomnia) and I woke thinking about your new baby! How was the evening???? I told Husband about you and his response was we were not getting any new puppies.

Well we're on day 2 now. He slept with me all night last night, woke up to face licking at 1 am to go potty outside. Our first official day together he was having accidents In the house as expected, but we'd also get him outside. Refused to go in the grass though. He has went in the grass all day today. Eats well, is learning sit pretty consistently. Loves his rope toys! The nylabones are too big for him right now, and I tried to do some frozen Kong treats in the crate for him, but he's not too enthused about them. They're too big for him to get in his mouth. He's been more vocal today, instead of just growling when playing tug he has actually barked if I'm not paying attention to him. He's currently asleep on the ground behind me while I am at my desk. (Still chooses the hardwood over a bed)
f33f2442c376adf418c8c1084ca6318a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
I also bought him a puzzle feeder bowl to keep him from eating too fast, but his little face is too short and his tongue is too short to get the food out, so I soften the food in water, and just pour and spread it on the feeding tray I bought, seems to keep him from scarfing it down. About had a heart attack yesterday, he started to choke so I immediately stuck my finger down his throat to clear it..

PS, the farts are atom bombs.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I also bought him a puzzle feeder bowl to keep him from eating too fast, but his little face is too short and his tongue is too short to get the food out, so I soften the food in water, and just pour and spread it on the feeding tray I bought, seems to keep him from scarfing it down. About had a heart attack yesterday, he started to choke so I immediately stuck my finger down his throat to clear it..

PS, the farts are atom bombs.

You and Obie seem to be doing great! Soaking the kibble is good for his digestion- just make sure it's no longer hot when you serve this food. And sleeping close to you makes him feel secure and you know when he needs to go.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
He may be choosing the hardwood floor because it's cool on his belly. And yes the farts are lethal. Have you experienced one in the car yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.