ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
So I go to get my puppers tonight!
I will be getting him at night which I know isn't the most ideal time to bring a new baby home, so I was wondering if any of you veterans have any tips or tricks to the first few days at home with a new puppy? As far as when to begin crate training, when to start giving him toys, and the best ways to help him feel comfortable?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My only tip is spend as much time as possible with him! No need for fancy toys and stuff right away - what he needs now is to get to know his new home and family!

There are different opinions on crate training and depending on dog, house, and other factors it may be more or less needed. Please know that it is not a must, however; in Sweden, for instance, crating dogs in your house is against the law.

Good luck with the little one!

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Well, i don't want to be a necessity as much a tool to train some bladder control and for his safety when no one is home. I work a crazy schedule, and my room mates both also work. He will almost have someone home, but obviously he won't be able to always be watched. Him having a safe place to go and rest as well as a place for us to be comfortable putting him for a few hours until he is house broke later in his life.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So exciting!!! and I prefer 'playpen' type thing vs crate though mine does travel in a crate... I know people and their dogs are crazy about crates, but I like the idea of the crate 'being' there, but always having access to a potty pad through the night is where a playpen type thing comes in so handy... I LOVE potty pads as I never feel bad (except for missing my pup) that I am leaving them for too long w/o ability to pee or.... away from their sleeping area. I had a foot and a half fencinng thing (pet co/petsmart) that I put in my front room so during the day when we were just hanging out but not glued to him, he was safe but still with me... I had it in a round yard type thing... then at night, I would stretch it out (was about 4 ft long) and he could potty at one end, and snuggle into his clean bed in the other... worked like a charm..

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Hmm something to consider. I did buy three babygates and a huge den area that is mostly empty with a fouton and all hardwood floors. I thought about just putting him in there and leaving the gates up. I just don't want him to get used to going in the house :S how did you get your hank house trained from the pads?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm thinking your saying about 'housebreaking' after using potty pads? Simple pie :) I was able to be home with him so, after each meal, and numerous other times, we would go outside,( to the same area), and he would do his thing, and then go to the other parts of the yard to play... (I often would carry him out so we didn't have an accident on the way.) He loved going out so got the idea that outside was potty then fun... Easiest dog ever (and I've had lots through my LONG life ;) to potty train. Only when he was I think around 9 months did he EVER even want to potty in the house, (just started lifting his leg) and so I'm guessing was marking his home ? !!!!!!!!!!! Did it twice, and never again. Just a quick shocked NO and out the door he ran.. I cleaned it up and waited for his return to spray the area he peed, and he was horrified... lol I too have hardwood floors so nothing gets away from me ;)

edited to add........... He has only used the potty pad 2ce since he was 5 months old.(he's just over a year now) . and that was just for 'old times sakes' I think.... or to show Josie (his sister the Chihuahua) that he can pee too...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Crate from Day 1

Crates are awesome for several reasons, but not limited to the following:

If you have to board him for some reason...he won't freak out.
If sometime down the road he's injured and needs surgery and respective "crate rest"...he won't freak out.
If you get ill and for a period of time his care is left with someone else who needs to have him crated...he won't freak out
To protect him from getting into something that might cause him harm while he's not being supervised.
To protect your home and valuables from puppy chewing while he's not being supervised.
To give him a safe place where he can hang out and snooze away the hours after a long hard day of eating, peeing, pooping, and laying in a sunny doorway...and chasing the cat, if you have a cat.
To give him a place to hang out when there are visitors that you might not want him crawling all over.

IMO, crating is a necessity for the welfare of the dog and the home.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
crating dogs in your house is against the law.
Why is that...if you happen to know?
Hmmm, if not legally "in your house" where might one crate a dog in Sweden?
Do they even sell crates in Sweden?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I didn't use a crate for Jax and I probably won't use one for the new guy. I used an xpen in the kitchen at night with a pee pad. Jax needed the pee pad for maybe 4 nights and then after that it would be dry. When he had to be left alone, he would go in the xpen in the kitchen with a pee pad. After a few months and once he was potty trained, he got confined to the kitchen. He now has free range of the upstairs when no one is home. I plan on doing the same thing with the new guy when he comes home...using the xpen and then confining to the kitchen. And Jax will still have free range so they will not be "together" while unsupervised. However, I do have a crate if it is needed.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
In my opinion, the first few nights are the saddest because he will most likely cry a lot being away from his mom and siblings. So be patient. If you do crate then put something he can snuggle with and I always liked to keep the crate close to my bed so they didn't feel so alone. Fast forward 10 years... My 2 pups now actually ended up in bed with us when they first came home, there's a waterproof pad (made of material one side and rubber on the other) that I laid in our bed with a blanket under it. Both did really well and never (yes I said "never") peed in the bed. However I was super vigilant. When they squirmed I took them right outside which could have been 1 time an hour or 2 times an hour. All I know is that doing it that way seemed to make them feel safe and they never cried. Of course I was sleep deprived for the first few weeks and the downside is that I have 90lb and 70lb dogs in my bed every night because they think it's theirs.

Now I know some of you will say 1. that I could roll over and squish, but I know I'm not that type of sleeper. 2. It's good to get them used to the kennel, which I agree; however, the older I get the more sensitive I seem to be to my dogs feelings (could be empty nester syndrome since my skin kids have moved out). Letting him have the run of a room at this age could be scarier for him, I would defiantly choose a kennel over that with him being so little.

Either way you choose will be fine, just make sure he has something to snuggle whether it be you or a toy/pillow in his kennel. That's just my 2 cents.

He is a gorgeous puppy, you're going to have so much fun with him. I love the name Obie. And remember to nap when he does... LOL

Good luck and enjoy

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
CONGRATS!!!!!! :wiggle:and beware of the sharks teeth!

I started crate training day 1. He was already in a new environment so I threw everything at him from the start. He handled it like a champ. The first couple nights I slept with Dooleys crate up against my bed and I basically slept on my stomach with my arm hanging over so he could lick my fingers. I also could rub his head and ears. He loves an ear rub. I really found this helpful for him to calm down and sleep the first several nights.

Good Luck and post up any and all questions you got. Lots of good people/info on this site.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
yes, xpen... dang! I couldn't think of the name.. Whats so good is you then have a larger secluded 'safe' place, and, I also did have the kennel inside his area for his compfy bed. they are the handiest things as you can move it to your room, or lay out strait if you like to bloc off the porch while your out there,,, use in yard while your out reading so they don't get into trouble yet have some free space. I LOVE them! and! it's wonderful when your just plane too tuckered to supervise every move :) I would have lost it w/o it as Hank was not a lazy pup !
I didn't use a crate for Jax and I probably won't use one for the new guy. I used an xpen in the kitchen at night with a pee pad. Jax needed the pee pad for maybe 4 nights and then after that it would be dry. When he had to be left alone, he would go in the xpen in the kitchen with a pee pad. After a few months and once he was potty trained, he got confined to the kitchen. He now has free range of the upstairs when no one is home. I plan on doing the same thing with the new guy when he comes home...using the xpen and then confining to the kitchen. And Jax will still have free range so they will not be "together" while unsupervised. However, I do have a crate if it is needed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang sure has given some great info... can't wait to see pictures.

One toy that worked wonders for me with Lambeau was the Nylabone keys... they are a softer rubber and I would place them in the freezer for a few minutes before giving them to him so they were close to frozen... it really helped with his teething

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Why is that...if you happen to know?
Hmmm, if not legally "in your house" where might one crate a dog in Sweden?
Do they even sell crates in Sweden?

Well, the law is quite strict here. Dogs under four months may not be left alone except for very short periods of time, for instance. It is against the law to crate dogs as well as to have them in small playpens. If you have a crate, it mustn't have a door (so a crate with the door fully removed seems ok but not one with a door that can be closed).

A few exceptions, though (apart from at veterinary hospitals if the dog needs to rest or be kept in isolation): at shows and during tests there are sertain regulations, and dogs may be crated for transport. We have a safety crate in our car, which Castor is in when we drive. That's another law here... dogs must be crated or belted in the car.

These regulations are motivated by research on the psycholocical well-being of animals; the Swedish Board of Agriculture cites numerous studies motivating the law.

And to answer your question, yes, they do sell crates here, and I am sure there are people who crate their dogs, although it's against the law.

Certain things differ between our countries and the way animals are kept. Neutering is still quite rare here, for instance. There are no strays, so neutering is not required for that reason, and I would think there's also the idea that the gene pool would be undesirably small if many dogs were neutered.

OP
ObietheWan

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Thanks everyone for the replies! Would it be okay to put his kennel up on a nightstand next to my bed when I go to sleep? I am quite the wiggle worm in bed, and wouldn't mind him sleeping with me, but not until I trust him in the house, and until he's big enough to kick me out of the bed, haha. Here's a picture of the room I planned to gate off for him, and he has been known to use puppy pads with the breeder, so I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea to use them at my house. Where would be the best place to put it in this photo? IMG_20170330_151816_01.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.