Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Last minute knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Well, the law is quite strict here. Dogs under four months may not be left alone except for very short periods of time, for instance. It is against the law to crate dogs as well as to have them in small playpens. If you have a crate, it mustn't have a door (so a crate with the door fully removed seems ok but not one with a door that can be closed).

A few exceptions, though (apart from at veterinary hospitals if the dog needs to rest or be kept in isolation): at shows and during tests there are sertain regulations, and dogs may be crated for transport. We have a safety crate in our car, which Castor is in when we drive. That's another law here... dogs must be crated or belted in the car.

These regulations are motivated by research on the psycholocical well-being of animals; the Swedish Board of Agriculture cites numerous studies motivating the law.

And to answer your question, yes, they do sell crates here, and I am sure there are people who crate their dogs, although it's against the law.

Certain things differ between our countries and the way animals are kept. Neutering is still quite rare here, for instance. There are no strays, so neutering is not required for that reason, and I would think there's also the idea that the gene pool would be undesirably small if many dogs were neutered.
    Now that was interesting and I get it if there are no strays. Make sense in a way.

I crated Nyala from 3 months to about 5 months. Then her door always stayed open. Her crate was her little getaway. She loved going to bed at night in her crate. Eventually I packed it up as she can sleep anywhere she wants in the house which is 90% of the time.... the sofa

2. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Canelo
    Likes (Received)

It's my 3:00 AM wake up (insomnia) and I woke thinking about your new baby! How was the evening???? I told Husband about you and his response was we were not getting any new puppies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes Hankster, helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Canelospeeps View Post
    It's my 3:00 AM wake up (insomnia) and I woke thinking about your new baby! How was the evening???? I told Husband about you and his response was we were not getting any new puppies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well we're on day 2 now. He slept with me all night last night, woke up to face licking at 1 am to go potty outside. Our first official day together he was having accidents In the house as expected, but we'd also get him outside. Refused to go in the grass though. He has went in the grass all day today. Eats well, is learning sit pretty consistently. Loves his rope toys! The nylabones are too big for him right now, and I tried to do some frozen Kong treats in the crate for him, but he's not too enthused about them. They're too big for him to get in his mouth. He's been more vocal today, instead of just growling when playing tug he has actually barked if I'm not paying attention to him. He's currently asleep on the ground behind me while I am at my desk. (Still chooses the hardwood over a bed)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

I also bought him a puzzle feeder bowl to keep him from eating too fast, but his little face is too short and his tongue is too short to get the food out, so I soften the food in water, and just pour and spread it on the feeding tray I bought, seems to keep him from scarfing it down. About had a heart attack yesterday, he started to choke so I immediately stuck my finger down his throat to clear it..

PS, the farts are atom bombs.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ObietheWan View Post
    I also bought him a puzzle feeder bowl to keep him from eating too fast, but his little face is too short and his tongue is too short to get the food out, so I soften the food in water, and just pour and spread it on the feeding tray I bought, seems to keep him from scarfing it down. About had a heart attack yesterday, he started to choke so I immediately stuck my finger down his throat to clear it..

PS, the farts are atom bombs.

You and Obie seem to be doing great! Soaking the kibble is good for his digestion- just make sure it's no longer hot when you serve this food. And sleeping close to you makes him feel secure and you know when he needs to go.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Canelo
    Likes (Received)

He may be choosing the hardwood floor because it's cool on his belly. And yes the farts are lethal. Have you experienced one in the car yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Nope. He was good in the car ride home. Just lots of licking and sniffing, no nervous shakes or peeing though. Couldn't have asked for a better pup it seems.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

this is soooo good a read He's so darn cute I can hardly stand it!!! Sounds like he's doing great.. of course there will be ups and downs but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this 'bulldog' who I thought was going to give me horrid heck, turned out to be about the easiest to get along with and train... they're wonderful, and seems like ya got your self the best ever

14. Likes ObietheWan liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Bentley
    Likes (Received)

I really appreciate oscarmayer's words on crating our bullies.
    I have used our crate for every one of those situations.
    Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads