Dog Watch

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
We have 4 dogs including Miss Daphne. We also have The Dog Watch Invisible Fence around our acre property. It goes under the driveway also so the dogs have total access to the property. Daphne often sits in the driveway to watch the neighbor kids playing. We live at the very end of a cul de sac so the neighborhood kids ride bikes and their battery operated cars. The mommies are great. They've taught the little kids that they can walk up the driveway to sit with Daphne and pet her, but they can't call her over the invisible line because she'll get a shock. Daphne gets an audible signal and then if she goes too close to the line she gets a tiny shock. Daphne learned all this in one day. She's smart.
My favorite part of the fencing isn't outside, but inside. We have a disc thing that is rechargeable. In our case, it confines the dogs to the kitchen, great room and master bedroom. They can't go upstairs or to the living room, dining room, other bedroom down here or laundry room. They cannot run to the front door to greet visitors. They have to sit behind the invisible line and wait for humans to enter and acknowledge them. They can go out the great room sliders onto the lanai and from there out the doggie door in the screen to access the yard. This is the best thing ever. I wanted to share this.

The photos are pretty poor. They show Daphne sitting waiting for her Dad to come back in with his morning newspaper...no running up, no barking, just patiently waiting.
7915413f0eb8747b1631bca54faf0544.jpg
73632f4440bebb9967e901c4db5c4d70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Wow,this sounds handy..how do you line it all up so she/they know it's active in what area?

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Wow,this sounds handy..how do you line it all up so she/they know it's active in what area?

I'm not sure I understand your question. But...the dogs wear a collar that has a small electronic receiver on it. When they get about 2 feet from the unit, the collar sends a faint audible warning beeping to the dog. It's not overly loud. Then if the dog proceeds and gets maybe 1 foot from the unit, it gets a small shock. It's very brief and the most Daphne does is briefly shake her head like she got a sting.

This is Daphne's collar...
7a9d7b5d810641d18d659f3966abdb2f.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
:) so, I'm just wondering that in the beginning, if tearing around the house (and I suppose you KEEP the same areas so once learned they just know) but if theres nothing to 'see' how do they learn first so they're not just cautious of everywhere??? I still don't think I'm clarifying right... hm,,,, but see if that makes sence and i'll try again... ')

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
:) so, I'm just wondering that in the beginning, if tearing around the house (and I suppose you KEEP the same areas so once learned they just know) but if theres nothing to 'see' how do they learn first so they're not just cautious of everywhere??? I still don't think I'm clarifying right... hm,,,, but see if that makes sence and i'll try again... ')

OK...we first trained her to the fence. We've had the fence 7 years and the other 3 dogs don't even wear their receiver collars any more...THEY KNOW WHERE THE BOUNDARIES ARE. Back to Daphne. We first walked around the edge of our property with a collar in our hand to see where the wire was. It beeped when it got into the warning zone. All along the warning zone we placed those little flag thingies the cable and utility use about 3 feet apart. Then with her collar on we walked around the edge of the yard in front of the warning zone. Ever time Daphne approached near the zone and the collar beeped the signal to her, I quickly yanked her back with the leash and yelled NO DAPHNE! If she tried to get closer, she got zapped. She only had to get zapped twice and as we walked if she got warning beeps she immediately turned back closer to me. We did this for 2 days, 2 walk around each day. On the 3rd day we removed every other flag and did 2 walk arounds. Fourth day we again removed every other flag. Fifth day we removed all. Flags left. Daphne has never ever wandered over the line. I have walked beside her and heard the beeps and she. Just veers away from the fence.
In the house was simple. The first thing I did was go up to the floor disk, jump back and start screaming "Ow!ow! Ohhhhh No Etc". I'd wave my arms and pretend I was crying very loudly. It was all very dramatic and very loud with jumping and swinging my arms. I did this for the other dogs 7 years ago and even without collars they don't cross over. YES! I am that good. I scared the bee Jesus out of these dogs and Daphne. Daphne got it right away. I only had to do 3 or 4 Oscar worthy performances.
At the opposite side of the great room is the. Kitchen. It has a pocket door into the dining room/front of the house. When I open that door, they know it's bedtime or go out to the car or go out the front door sans collars for walkies and they walk right through the open pocket door.
Finally, the floor disk that blinks green when it's fully charged.
Dogs are so incredibly smart. If they had opposable thumbs and could talk, they'd be walking us on leashes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful girl!!

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
OK...we first trained her to the fence. We've had the fence 7 years and the other 3 dogs don't even wear their receiver collars any more...THEY KNOW WHERE THE BOUNDARIES ARE. Back to Daphne. We first walked around the edge of our property with a collar in our hand to see where the wire was. It beeped when it got into the warning zone. All along the warning zone we placed those little flag thingies the cable and utility use about 3 feet apart. Then with her collar on we walked around the edge of the yard in front of the warning zone. Ever time Daphne approached near the zone and the collar beeped the signal to her, I quickly yanked her back with the leash and yelled NO DAPHNE! If she tried to get closer, she got zapped. She only had to get zapped twice and as we walked if she got warning beeps she immediately turned back closer to me. We did this for 2 days, 2 walk around each day. On the 3rd day we removed every other flag and did 2 walk arounds. Fourth day we again removed every other flag. Fifth day we removed all. Flags left. Daphne has never ever wandered over the line. I have walked beside her and heard the beeps and she. Just veers away from the fence.
In the house was simple. The first thing I did was go up to the floor disk, jump back and start screaming "Ow!ow! Ohhhhh No Etc". I'd wave my arms and pretend I was crying very loudly. It was all very dramatic and very loud with jumping and swinging my arms. I did this for the other dogs 7 years ago and even without collars they don't cross over. YES! I am that good. I scared the bee Jesus out of these dogs and Daphne. Daphne got it right away. I only had to do 3 or 4 Oscar worthy performances.
At the opposite side of the great room is the. Kitchen. It has a pocket door into the dining room/front of the house. When I open that door, they know it's bedtime or go out to the car or go out the front door sans collars for walkies and they walk right through the open pocket door.
Finally, the floor disk that blinks green when it's fully charged.
Dogs are so incredibly smart. If they had opposable thumbs and could talk, they'd be walking us on leashes.

I just double checked with my husband to make sure BUT the fence and the floor disk are totally independent from each other. For the disk you just need to buy the disk (we paid $99, for the unit, a receiver and a collar.
dc822abfdb4de3ef021255c5c6edbf5b.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
that is all just amazing... oh and the dramatics needed lol cracked me up!! We do what we gotta to protect our kids :) Sounds great!! I'm going to keep it all in mind incase we move...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Clever the way you set everything up !You are so lucky you can have a doggy door ! I live in Toronto, raccoon capital of the world, and if I had a doggie door I might be seeing raccoons running in the house. They are extremely smart animals.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Clever the way you set everything up !You are so lucky you can have a doggy door ! I live in Toronto, raccoon capital of the world, and if I had a doggie door I might be seeing raccoons running in the house. They are extremely smart animals.

We ARE very lucky. Our doggie door is on our screened lanai/pool cage. The back of the house is sliding glass doors so first they have to be open (which they usually are) for the dogs to go out. We are surrounded by wildlife as we back up to state of Florida conservation land. We are further separated from the conservation land by a small lake that is only about 15 feet from our lawn. We frequently see deer, bobcats, feral pigs, opossums, armadillos, and have gators, otters and many species of waterfowl in the lake. They don't generally cross the water to come into our yard.

10f0fe0ead79fd8d2a99349ea9fb0663.jpg
8c73e659aedd4c41de41823ebe5634d3.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh my goodness what a life :) and might I ask how you ended up there??? or ever find such a place.. or build ?

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
oh my goodness what a life :) and might I ask how you ended up there??? or ever find such a place.. or build ?

I really want to answer this question for you, but don't want to get any more off topic here in general Bulldog Talk. I'll start a new thread in Non Bulldog Talk and title it FOR HANKSTER

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.