feeding pork

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
We use Honest Kitchen and add usually turkey, some chicken, beef, and salmon... He does well with all. I remember reading someone saying NO PORK but I see many using the fromm pork and peas soooooooooooooooooo,,,, what is the NO pork thing? Whoever it was was sayng it in general I think, like don't ever feed a dog pork... anyway, any thoughts...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We feed Ty pork. It's a little fattier compared to other meats so maybe not for everyday. But every once in a while - I see no problem with it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks :) It's one of those things that stuck in my head and wanted to clear it up.. Thinking of getting a shoulder or something and shredding up for occasional feedings..
We feed Ty pork. It's a little fattier compared to other meats so maybe not for everyday. But every once in a while - I see no problem with it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Working in the food industry, I personally wouldn't feed any dog pork. But that's me. Trichinosis, is mainly spread when undercooked meat which contains.. Hope I spell this right... Trichinella cycst is eaten. This is usually pork but you can find it in bear and dog meat. Larvae are like born in the stomach then goes in the small intestine's walls. So basically they turn into adult worms. Bears n pigs are not the same animal as we know but are both very similar as scavenger or eating same thing. Very rare i eat pork. Mind you don't eat much meat either. Lol. But to be honest with you, I wouldn't give my pets pork. But that's me.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Trichinella is an unpleasant infection for humans, but not really dangerous for dogs. There is another larva, which can be eaten with undercooked pork - pork tapeworm. Causes Cysticercosis. Larva then hatches inside and goes into bloodstream, looking for place to nest. In case it places in brain or eye, serious trouble happen. Seizures, blindness, etc. Needs surgery and can cause death. Extremely dangerous for both humans and dogs. That's why NO undercooked or raw pork for people or dogs. Well cooked pork you can eat yourself or give to your dog, if your dog is ok with fatness of pork meat. That's why pork is widely used in different dry dog foods. It is safe when well cooked, good alternative source of protein. And cheaper than beef.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thank you all ...... I defiantly would cook and 'now' make sure I cooked WELL! Will check out and see what we think... so my fear of undercooked sausage at restaurants is well founded..yuck! I rarely eat meant (didn't have any for over 30 yrs) but now eat at times, so kinda real yucky thinking about what can be in it..mabie time to quit again

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Uh oh, I should be dead! One of my favourite things to eat is a tiny amount of raw sausage meat before I cook it!! I also eat a very small amout of raw hamburger meat too. Salt, pepper and maybe some garlic salt, lovely! I am definitely a carnivore as much as I really hate the thought of animals dying.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
? texture would be unbearable to me....but!! I have eaten fairly rare beef before.
Uh oh, I should be dead! One of my favourite things to eat is a tiny amount of raw sausage meat before I cook it!! I also eat a very small amout of raw hamburger meat too. Salt, pepper and maybe some garlic salt, lovely! I am definitely a carnivore as much as I really hate the thought of animals dying.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Trichinella is extremely rare and possibly non existent in pork in North America. But it's a good idea to freeze all meat whether it be chicken, duck, beef, pork etc in the freezer for 2 weeks to kill parasites before serving raw. If you are going to cook it you don't need to freeze it. Freezing doesn't kill bacterial contamination so it's still not a good idea for humans to eat raw meat even if it's been frozen.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Beef is considered to be relatively safe to eat raw, because that scary worm lives only in pork. Worms that potentially (very rare!) can be in beef are the ones that can live only in the intestines of people, unpleasant, but mostly easily treated if it happens ( not really likely in the USA or Canada). So, eating raw carpaccio or a bit of purely beef hamburger is rather safe. But! Still, there are prions- scary mini viruses, that can cause deadly brain damage, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) virus, or mad cow disease. This BSE virus is believed to be a cause of lethal disease - Creutzfeld Jacob encephalopathy in humans, who were unlucky to eat BSE contaminated meat, especially raw. But BSE is strictly controlled by CDC and not very likely to be present in beef in the US.
So, the bottom line - if you don't eat raw beef, don't start. But if you can't resist - it is rather safe, at least in the USA. I cannot resist personally and my steak must be ALIVE:p

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Prions cause mad cow in cows , scrapie in sheep and goats and Creutzfeld-Jakob disease in humans etc You can't kill them since they are folded proteins , by cooking them or freezing them. Unless you have the means to subject your meat to ozone disinfection, incineration, or a combination of heat and sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide you can't inactivate them. If you avoid nervous tissue (brain and spinal cord) from beef you should be safe, but there's no need to eat cooked meat for that reason. Eating sheep infected by scrapies has not been known to infect humans,I guess it's species specific, although I guess it's possible the sheep could have picked up a mad cow variant by being fed meal from a rendering house that had infected cows thrown in the chemical bath.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Our raw fed eats pork and lamb, sometimes duck and rabbit, and is supplemented as necessary. Perhaps we put too much trust in our provider, but I won't stop feeding one of the few proteins Lola can tolerate allergy-wise.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I do pork tenderloin in the slow cooker for Schultz ... he's never had a problem

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Looking forward to shopping :) gonna get "us" a pork tenderloin :) slow or pressure cooker :)
I do pork tenderloin in the slow cooker for Schultz ... he's never had a problem

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.