KassyRN

Feb 19, 2017
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Cash
Hello all, my little guy is 4 months old and I'm struggling with whether to neuter or not. I have no desire or intention to ever use him as a stud, he is pet only so he doesn't need his baby makers but I hesitate to neuter because I've read so many warnings about bulldogs and anesthesia. I've also found in my research that neutering too early can lead to hip dysplaycia because they need the testosterone for adequate bone development. My vet recommends neuter at 5 months which is how old my German Sheppard was when we got him neutered last year but not sure that's the right age for an EB. We live in the country with no neighbors and he's not left outside unattended so no risk of him running off looking for a bitch so is it worth the risk? So, long story short:

Do I neuter?
What is the best age to neuter?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I've been told hold off at least a year, 18 mo better or never...I'm having delema too.Hank is just over a year and the vet asks how his 'behavior' is at each visit... so far so good.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Personally, 5 months is way too early in my book. If I would have to redo all of this again, like neuter my GS or spayed Nyala, I would leave them all intact. I find we are too fast to just get it over with so its less of a hassle for us humans. I figured that if I get my GS snip he would be less territorial. Pffffft sure didn't work. My Doberman was intact and never had issues. Dammm you do, dammm you dont right? :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say neuter before 12 months to avoid dog developing aggression and other testosterone related behaviours. It may sound silly, but some other need for surgery may come up, and then you may be able to combine the two. eg. soft palate, stenotic nares, anal glands, etc When I had my female bully spayed I had an oral tumour removed at same time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I hadn't planned on neutering Wallygator, and then he became aggressive towards my hubby (he was also having anal gland issues at the time). He was 2 when we had it done, and it resolved the aggression immediately. I would wait till he's at least a year old...

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
My vet in Kansas City suggested I wait until 12 months, so thats what I did (on Colossus' first birthday he got the snip, yeah mean dad - HAPPY BIRTHDAY bud). Looking back (always 20/20) Id have waited until 18-24 months. I think it stunted Colossus' growth somewhat (has a smaller head than quite a few bullys). Other than that, there was no "reason" for me to do it other than health, safety, etc.

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
I was originally going to neuter Lincoln at 12 months old; however, the breeder advised to wait until 18 months. The only real reason for me to have him neutered is for when I occasionally need him to be boarded up so he can play with the other dogs. But it isn't required.

I will be waiting at least until 18-24 months. No rush.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
It depends on the dog. I made the decision not to neuter. This was based on the risk of procedure and increased chances of certain cancers. He has no aggression issues but there are some downsides. I decided that the benefits to his health outweighed those.

Downsides:
Not many places will board an intact dog or if they do he is not allowed to play.
You may have semen or humping issues. Mine doesn't hump but he has ejaculated without stimulation.
They can't be around intact female dogs that are in heat.
They like to mark. Mine only does it outside.
They may eat more. Mine still eats 3 cups a day but is not overweight.

I love my buddy and even with these issues I am remaining firm in my decision.

OP
K

KassyRN

Feb 19, 2017
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Cash
Thank you everyone for your input. Based on the responses I'm going to wait until 12 months then revisit the idea. Thanks so much!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone for your input. Based on the responses I'm going to wait until 12 months then revisit the idea. Thanks so much!!

I agree 200% with [MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION]. People got to stop believing everything they read. Got to snip snip my dog so he stays healthy or he'll have other issues or whatever the issue can be. It's not "all" dogs that turns aggressive or will have issues cause they are not neutered. Cant put them all in the same boat. My GS was snipped n got worst throughout his living yrs and was no return. My Doberman wasnt neutered, He was fantastic n no aggression whatsoever unless you touched me. Just go with the flow. See what happens as the months goes by. And for sure you'll have to be on your guards if there are female dogs in heat like mentioned. But if you're willing to do the effort keeping an eye out a bit more than normal, well nothing is wrong by delaying the snipping.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
As a side note, not many people do it but a dog vasectomy is possible.

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
:newhere: Not to derail the topic, but hello other Kansas City person!

I also plan on keeping my boy in tact unless he gets severe aggression, hopefully until four years old or so when cancer becomes more of a risk.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
:newhere: Not to derail the topic, but hello other Kansas City person!

I also plan on keeping my boy in tact unless he gets severe aggression, hopefully until four years old or so when cancer becomes more of a risk.

Go with the flow.....don't mean he'll get cancer. :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
my family is finally on board with the 'non' neuter thing... only one friend who isn't but that's tough cookies ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.