Waist

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
People here often talk about a Bulldog having a well defined waist. Daphne is 7 months old today. She has no waist that I can determine. Is a waist something that develops as they mature?

62f7746b4c51720f407bda3915c2a06d.jpg

627e9e54ee9b17375fc1623edd96d497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Going to ask you a question and I'm not being a smart *** either. Just I don't understand why is it so important she needs to have a waist? She is BEAUTIFUL as she is. She's just a baby. There is no waistline in any puppies of any breed. I use to breed Dobermans and these dogs are sleek and very muscular thin waist breed. But as puppies, they all had chunky monkey bellies. Lol. Even EB some will never have the waist and still be standard in weight.. Nyala was like yours at that age. She looked like a little barrel on 4 sticks. Plus yours is very active and if she eats right without junk food which I know you feed her properly, there is no reason for her to be chunky. She's just plain and simple too young to judge what she will look like. A dog's body usually forms after a year in height, 2 years in width. So little Ms D has time. Don't worry about it she'll be fine. She's healthy, she eats and drinks well, she plays alot....So she is a normal happy puppy.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Going to ask you a question and I'm not being a smart *** either. Just I don't understand why is it so important she needs to have a waist? She is BEAUTIFUL as she is. She's just a baby. There is no waistline in any puppies of any breed. I use to breed Dobermans and these dogs are sleek and very muscular thin waist breed. But as puppies, they all had chunky monkey bellies. Lol. Even EB some will never have the waist and still be standard in weight.. Nyala was like yours at that age. She looked like a little barrel on 4 sticks. Plus yours is very active and if she eats right without junk food which I know you feed her properly, there is no reason for her to be chunky. She's just plain and simple too young to judge what she will look like. A dog's body usually forms after a year in height, 2 years in width. So little Ms D has time. Don't worry about it she'll be fine. She's healthy, she eats and drinks well, she plays alot....So she is a normal happy puppy.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I asked because I am continually trying to learn more. I know a lot about dogs in general, but zilch about English Bulldogs. I adore Daphne and think she's gorgeous. I do know that different breeds do mature and develop at different ages. Some are "puppified" a lot longer than others. I've come to see that bulldogs have special needs as well as special attributes.

I had no intention of ever getting a Bulldog, but someone owed me some money and a favor. This person is a Bulldog breeder. I knew I was never going to get the cash, but the breeder offered up Daphne. As soon as I saw her photo, I was hooked. As I do with everything in life, I research and learn in order to do my best.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Funny that you think Daphne is too wide!
I think Bella is too thin! Lol. She eats like she is starving (I have her on NutraMax Puppy With farm raised chicken)
I tried giving her a little more than what bag suggested and she had me up every hour in the hour at night for a week straight having to poo..... it would start out as a hard stool and get softer and softer and eventually be just watery. I finally found something on the internet stating that over feeding could cause all of that. That is got softer because she wasn't able to digest it (which I guess made sense) so I cut back and she has been perfectly fine. I give her approximately 2 1/4 cups spread out over three feedings.
Oh, I did take her to the vet (they checked for worms) she was clear. And I did give her chicken broth and the chicken and rice. Also some puréed pumpkin. Needless to say I won't be over feeding her EVER again. It was a rough week getting up every hour with her. Since she sleeps in my bed I had to get up!! Lol. She always tried to make it outside (and did most of the time)
I guess she will just be thin and not a roly poly. LolIMG_4956.JPG
IMG_4889.JPGIMG_4889.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I asked because I am continually trying to learn more. I know a lot about dogs in general, but zilch about English Bulldogs. I adore Daphne and think she's gorgeous. I do know that different breeds do mature and develop at different ages. Some are "puppified" a lot longer than others. I've come to see that bulldogs have special needs as well as special attributes.

I had no intention of ever getting a Bulldog, but someone owed me some money and a favor. This person is a Bulldog breeder. I knew I was never going to get the cash, but the breeder offered up Daphne. As soon as I saw her photo, I was hooked. As I do with everything in life, I research and learn in order to do my best.

Lucky that breeder owed you money as you sure gain a cutie pie. I adore your little Ms D. She has such a brat fact. She reminds me of Nyala....like that "C'mon mommy lets go now" face... lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Funny that you think Daphne is too wide!
I think Bella is too thin! Lol. She eats like she is starving (I have her on NutraMax Puppy With farm raised chicken)
I tried giving her a little more than what bag suggested and she had me up every hour in the hour at night for a week straight having to poo..... it would start out as a hard stool and get softer and softer and eventually be just watery. I finally found something on the internet stating that over feeding could cause all of that. That is got softer because she wasn't able to digest it (which I guess made sense) so I cut back and she has been perfectly fine. I give her approximately 2 1/4 cups spread out over three feedings.
Oh, I did take her to the vet (they checked for worms) she was clear. And I did give her chicken broth and the chicken and rice. Also some puréed pumpkin. Needless to say I won't be over feeding her EVER again. It was a rough week getting up every hour with her. Since she sleeps in my bed I had to get up!! Lol. She always tried to make it outside (and did most of the time)
I guess she will just be thin and not a roly poly. LolView attachment 104748
View attachment 104749View attachment 104749

Hat dog food has a lot of carbs grains. Now this is me....I would put her on puppy orijen. Lot more protein and fat. And trust me she will gain weight as its rich in calories. That's my 2 cents worth.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Hat dog food has a lot of carbs grains. Now this is me....I would put her on puppy orijen. Lot more protein and fat. And trust me she will gain weight as its rich in calories. That's my 2 cents worth.

I will definitely look into that. Other than being on the slender side she is perfect to me!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
People here often talk about a Bulldog having a well defined waist. Daphne is 7 months old today. She has no waist that I can determine. Is a waist something that develops as they mature?

62f7746b4c51720f407bda3915c2a06d.jpg

627e9e54ee9b17375fc1623edd96d497.jpg

I would not worry about her waistline at her age... until they are done growing it is hard to till the real/final shape.

Nitschke had a very defined waist... Banks had a slight 'v' and now Lambeau is just a barrel. As long as he is proportionate I won't concern myself unless i cant feel his ribs

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Interesting that I came across this post now as we were discussing Orijen ten minutes ago here! Slim Castor eats raw and likes it but he's always hungry and doesn't gain weight (has actually lost weight) so my husband suggested we try Orijen. Castor used to eat that a few years ago. Perhaps worth trying again.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Interesting that I came across this post now as we were discussing Orijen ten minutes ago here! Slim Castor eats raw and likes it but he's always hungry and doesn't gain weight (has actually lost weight) so my husband suggested we try Orijen. Castor used to eat that a few years ago. Perhaps worth trying again.

Just saw I started my phrase with HAT!!!! Geeeeeez lol should read That.....

I always started all my puppies with "puppy orijen" as its so rich and gets them on the right path as a kibble. You just can't go wrong with it. But....I never left them on it till they reach a yr old as they suggest. Your dog will become king size lol. Nyala is supposed to be around 40 pounds but she's 48lbs. She stopped at 5months old and put her on HC. Still slim as she moves alot. Just today her pitty cousins came over for 4hrs. She hasnt stopped for a minute. Now she's on the sofa resting...till I get up to feed her lol My GS was on orijen puppy and had to get him off at 6 months old as he was already at 60lbs. He stayed on orijen adult only. At 2yrs old till older age he stayed at 115lbs and all muscle. My son's pitbulls, he had to stop orijen as they were getting to big. They dont get as much exercise as they both work away. Why he brings them her 2x a week as Nyala will burn them out lol. I should start charging a fee. Lolll

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just saw I started my phrase with HAT!!!! Geeeeeez lol should read That.....

I always started all my puppies with "puppy orijen" as its so rich and gets them on the right path as a kibble. You just can't go wrong with it. But....I never left them on it till they reach a yr old as they suggest. Your dog will become king size lol. Nyala is supposed to be around 40 pounds but she's 48lbs. She stopped at 5months old and put her on HC. Still slim as she moves alot. Just today her pitty cousins came over for 4hrs. She hasnt stopped for a minute. Now she's on the sofa resting...till I get up to feed her lol My GS was on orijen puppy and had to get him off at 6 months old as he was already at 60lbs. He stayed on orijen adult only. At 2yrs old till older age he stayed at 115lbs and all muscle. My son's pitbulls, he had to stop orijen as they were getting to big. They dont get as much exercise as they both work away. Why he brings them her 2x a week as Nyala will burn them out lol. I should start charging a fee. Lolll

No, no, I wouldn't go for the puppy kibbles, but the adult version. Castor turns four next month!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think females are less likely to have well defined waist, because waist in bulldogs is made with their wide shoulders, and wider shoulders, or chest, is more characteristic for males. If you look at these pics of my Tank, you will see, that when he seats, he has more folds of skin and fat, running down, compared to your girl, but when he stretches, he seems to have a bit more defined waist. I think, every bullie is built different.

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.jpg

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Btw, I'm a secret admirer of your Daphne. I think this picture of her is paramount of bullie beauty :yes:

IMG_0053.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 138
OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Btw, I'm a secret admirer of your Daphne. I think this picture of her is paramount of bullie beauty :yes:

View attachment 104776

You made me smile. I always worry that her pudgieness will prevent any male bully from asking her to the prom. She's my sweet girl and I adore her. I think she's a real big-little girl.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I think females are less likely to have well defined waist, because waist in bulldogs is made with their wide shoulders, and wider shoulders, or chest, is more characteristic for males. If you look at these pics of my Tank, you will see, that when he seats, he has more folds of skin and fat, running down, compared to your girl, but when he stretches, he seems to have a bit more defined waist. I think, every bullie is built different.

View attachment 104774

View attachment 104775

I see what you are pointing out. Daphne's wrinkles are all stretched out now. Tank is very handsome. Maybe he can come over for dinner sometime.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.