It's Spring and Summer is coming!!!! Do you know the signs of an over hot baby?

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
We call Canelo Mr. Silk because he is so fragile and sensitive and we keep an extra eye on him to make sure he doesn't over heat. Here are some pointers we use and I invite others to share because we are not perfect and love tips others have done that work like snap work out cooling towels.

Here are some key signs of overheating we've experienced:

1. Redness on the face.
2. Along with panting.
3. Along with hot ears to the touch.
4. Along with a warm, and dry nose.
5. My personal, a hot booty, side and belly to touch.
6. Purple tongue!!!!!!!!

Things we use for cool down:

1. A personal fan set up for Mr. Silk in the house. He loves it. He knows it's his fan.
2. A personal cooling mat.
3. We have a 3 gallon water bowl to make sure he's hydrated.
4. If he goes outside to tan (lay in the sun), I check on him every 15 mins and asked him if he wants to come in.
5. If we take a road trip, we pre-cool the 4Runner.
6. We have a wireless thermometer in the area of the 4Runner that Canelo is in and we monitor it. I don't put him in the 4Runner if the temp is higher than 75 F.
7. We have a digital, wireless thermometer gage by the driver to monitor temps around Canelo. It's linked to the wireless thermometer. If it goes over 75F we stop to check him and address any issues we find.
8. A personal 6" fan in Canelo's area blowing on him in the 4Runner.
9. Water and a travel bowl.
10. A flat, unused inflatable air mattress we lay in his area in the back of the 4Runner. He lays on it and it helps with cleaning loose hair. We did this after our first trip with him in the 4Runner. It was bad. The passengers closed the back vents, it was April, around 80F. He got so hot on the back we ended up in the ER because he lost control of his bowels. This is why we now have a thermometer in his area we can monitor the temp. I'm annual about monitoring temps now and having all supplies for him. Also why we keep an unflated a mattress pad there too it cools the pups, helps the pups, protects the carpet and is from choking and throwing up, seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good tips, it is always a good reminder to monitor them in hot weather.

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Why an uninflated air mattress? Wouldn't a plastic underbed storage bin with a towel inside contain messes better?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31bf7Vsi3pL.jpg

It just happened to work out this way. We keep four air mattresses at a time for family staying over and one had a leak. Husband came up with the idea to use the one with a leak in the back of the 4Runner uninflated instead of throwing it away. It has a "velveteen" side which we lay upwards for the babes to lie on. We can pull it out of the 4Runner. and hose it down. My babes haven't had any accidents on it and it fits perfectly in the 4Runner.

We were looking at buying a Weather Tech liner but the uninflated mattress has worked out so well we haven't talked about Weather Tech again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The Weather Tech is a great idea too. I was thinking of getting those custom made mats next time I buy a new car instead of getting dealer mats.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online