Ammonium urate crystals

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Has anyone had any experience with this type of stone in there bulldog please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hang on someone will answer you. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] knows a lot on this issue.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have had a bulldog with urate stones. Your bully most likely hs a genetic disorder called Hyperuricosuria. All dalmatians are affected, so it's treatable, but it can not be cured. I would advice you to buy an electricl pH meter and monitor his urine pH. Urate crystals and later stones form in acidic urine so you need to try to keep it neutral at round 6,5-7,5. Easiest way to manage this is to buy the food that is meant for dalmatians. You can also raise the pH level with normal baking soda. I use to give my bully some baking soda 3 times a day. It's important that you don't give him anything with organs or other foods that are high in purines. This link has great info about the disease.

http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjotherstones.html

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I have had a bulldog with urate stones. Your bully most likely hs a genetic disorder called Hyperuricosuria. All dalmatians are affected, so it's treatable, but it can not be cured. I would advice you to buy an electricl pH meter and monitor his urine pH. Urate crystals and later stones form in acidic urine so you need to try to keep it neutral at round 6,5-7,5. Easiest way to manage this is to buy the food that is meant for dalmatians. You can also raise the pH level with normal baking soda. I use to give my bully some baking soda 3 times a day. It's important that you don't give him anything with organs or other foods that are high in purines. This link has great info about the disease.

DogAware.com Articles: Urate, Cystine and Less Common Urinary Stones

Thanks riissi it's my friends bully, the vet has advised they feed royal canin u/c and an operation at some point to have them removed as the food doesn't dissolve them. Which is the best ph meter to buy? She won't eat the r/c, she doesn't like dry biscuits and prefers to have a meat topper on the food my friend tells me she asked the vets about wet food but r/c don't do this type of food in wet do you know if there's anything else she can give other the r/c?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If they are in the crystal state they most likely will flush out if the urine stays as neutral as possible and new ones don't develope in neutral urine. Since it's a bitch you're in a better place than if it would be a male. Most likely she doesn't need an operation. I'm not familiar with wet foods, but home cooking is a great option. In the link that I posted there is advice on feeding as well. You can buy the meters on line. Just google "ph meter electrical" and pick one. I gave 1 teaspoon of baking soda a day(devided in 3 portions) for my bully, but you have to experiment on the dosage with that female.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
From what I read the ideal urine pH is 7 or up to 7.5. I think Hills makes a canned food called Hills prescription diet u/d . Most important thing is that dog drinks a lot of fluid. If the dog won't eat the prescription diet you could also try Honest Kitchen Preference base mix topped with egg and cheese, chicken and turkey, lamb,pork,beef, some fish and shellfish with the exception of the ones below:
Avoid:
Organ meats – kidneys, livers, brains, hearts, sweetbreads, etc.
Game meats such as venison and goose
High-purine seafoods – sardines, mackerel, mussels, and scallops
High-purine vegetables – cauliflower, spinach, peas, mushrooms, and legumes (kidney beans, navy & lima beans, lentils)
Yeast (including brewer's yeast)
Gravies

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank-you, my friend has been intouch with the breeder and it turns out that the dam is huu clear although the sire is a carrier he wasn't tested till may 14 which is after he sired that litter you'd of thought they'd test for this before they put him out for breeding and to think he comes from a show home, has many champs under his belt including best of his breed at crufts you just never know these days

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If the dam is clear there can not be any affected puppys, only carriers. 50/50 chance per puppy.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Oh that's weird, would the dam have to be a carrier to pass on to the pups? the culture from lab said the Urnie was extremely crystallised when they tested it

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If you mte carrier to carrier then there's a 25% chance for the pup to be affected. Clear to carrier 50/50 clear/carrier, no affected. You can even mate an affected dog to a clear one and only get 100% carriers. Are you sue the crystals are urates? There are quite few different kinds. Liver shunt is also one reason for a dog to develope urates and that is more serious, but is normally the reason for bullys.

LABOKLIN (UK)| Genetic Diseases | Dogs| Hyperuricosuria / Urate Stones (HUU, SLC)

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
If you mte carrier to carrier then there's a 25% chance for the pup to be affected. Clear to carrier 50/50 clear/carrier, no affected. You can even mate an affected dog to a clear one and only get 100% carriers. Are you sue the crystals are urates? There are quite few different kinds. Liver shunt is also one reason for a dog to develope urates and that is more serious, but is normally the reason for bullys.

LABOKLIN (UK)| Genetic Diseases | Dogs| Hyperuricosuria / Urate Stones (HUU, SLC)

Thanks riissi, yes they where defiantly urates she got the vet to write the name down of the crystals as she was unable to remember the name of them, she'd previously had a Tumor removed from her ovary could it be that's what was causing it?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thank-you, my friend has been intouch with the breeder and it turns out that the dam is huu clear although the sire is a carrier he wasn't tested till may 14 which is after he sired that litter you'd of thought they'd test for this before they put him out for breeding and to think he comes from a show home, has many champs under his belt including best of his breed at crufts you just never know these days

The pup I am getting at the end of the month has type III cystinuria and comes from a breeder of a show home. Both parents are champions and the dad has won best of breed in Seattle and came in 2nd place at Westminster. It's hard to understand how these things work. Good luck to your friend!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.