Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been a while!! How in the world do you trim your bullies nails?!

Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
    Likes (Received)

Question Been a while!! How in the world do you trim your bullies nails?!

My sweet Frankie boy pretends to be the toughest guy in town but when it comes to getting his nails trimmed.. He's a HUGE baby!! My husband and I have tried just about everything. Distracting, treats, doing it when he sleeps.. I just don't know what to do.. HELP!

His nails are so long and sharp, the skin family members are getting hurt! It doesn't seem to bother him, but.. ya know. Even constant walks on the pavement haven't really helped.

I knew if anyone could help, it'd be ya'll!! -frankie-png
    Kiss your BULLY daily!

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Been a while!! How in the world do you trim your bullies nails?!

Dremel and a sanding drum. Works like a charm.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N
    Likes (Received)

The vet's here will trim the nails for free. I use Pretty Paws and a nail clipper on Punk - she hates having her nails trimmed - I get the STINK EYE severely. . .

4. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    Real Name
    Hope
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Annie1991 View Post
    The vet's here will trim the nails for free. I use Pretty Paws and a nail clipper on Punk - she hates having her nails trimmed - I get the STINK EYE severely. . .
    I believe with almost every dog it starts when they are pups. (At least with all of mine) Them being comfortable with you touching there feet. Mine will sit and give you their paw. Bella's I have done when she is sleeping so far. But I am constantly touching and rubbing her when she is awake and calm.

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

I trim while he sleeps one nail a night. He hates it. I have been massaging his paws and he has learned more trust there.

On walks he likes to kick his bowel movements so I pull him onto the sidewalk or street for nail grinding. That keeps the back nails pretty short.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Dremel at the groomers... works like a charm . Treats and toys held as a ditraction
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

8. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    I trim while he sleeps one nail a night. He hates it. I have been massaging his paws and he has learned more trust there.

On walks he likes to kick his bowel movements so I pull him onto the sidewalk or street for nail grinding. That keeps the back nails pretty short.
    One nail per night when he sleeps? Man Kim you are too funny! Sneeky Kim!!!! Lollll

10. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pebbles
    Likes (Received)

Dremel & a hard Grinding Wheel. Same wheel for 10 yrs

Queenie Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack and Tucker
    Likes (Received)

Mine have all been started as pups. Two of them I can do while their on their backs and one is done with he's standing up. Wilson was my toughest at first and still fights me a bit but he does great once he settles in. Emma literally falls asleep on her back when I'm doing hers. For Wilson when I started off (or when he would really fight me early on) I'm simply put him over my lap where my legs are raised up a bit (like sitting on a stair) and would do him that would cause he couldn't go anywhere. I use nail clippers to do the main clipping and the always follow up with a Dremal for fine tuning.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

haha,,,, me too ie..let him kick up the 'dirt' on the cement
    Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Whopper
    Likes (Received)

Whopper gets his done on his back between my legs. His head at my feet. He squirms at first but ends up giving in after he poops himself out. Or I have my wife rub his tummy. If he is having his tummy rubbed he don't care what you do to him. It's almost like he falls into a hypnotic trance.

Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by versicolor View Post
    Whopper gets his done on his back between my legs. His head at my feet. He squirms at first but ends up giving in after he poops himself out. Or I have my wife rub his tummy. If he is having his tummy rubbed he don't care what you do to him. It's almost like he falls into a hypnotic trance.
    Tia hates having this done and the only way she'll stay still is if my husband rubs her tummy while I cut. It's so funny that there's someone else that does this. What we do.... it's embarrassing to say in front of non-dog people. They just don't get it.

Nico will just lay back and let me do it, no sweat. Both had their feet handled regularly as puppies and I started trimming when they were young so they would be used to it but to this day Tia (almost 9 years) will not have any of it unless her belly is being rubbed. Spoiled girl...

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads