Advice/Opinions Please

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Below is a photo of Daphne's weight tracking. Her measurements are...
Neck. 17.5"
Tail to Shoulder 14.5"
Chest. 23.7"

I do not want an overweight bulldog. I have seen some and they really appear to struggle. Daphne is very square in build so to me she looks heavy. She eats 1 cup of Zignature duck, lamb or kangaroo kibble every morning with either a half cup peas, green beans or 3 or 4 raw baby carrots. She gets 1 small snack size milk bone mid morning. She has the same for dinner as for breakfast except she gets 1/2 of a hard boiled egg rather than vegs. Please advise.

8173d398b590046552221033e201ef0f.jpg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Drop the Milk Bone for something better.
Daphne is awesome!

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Drop the Milk Bone for something better.
Daphne is awesome!

The other three will mutiny if they don't get a milk bone.

Since Daphne is almost 7 months old, does this mean she might weigh double at the one year mark or will her growth and weight slow down before that? I haven't had a puppy in a long time. Before Daphne the other 3 were self-feeds and never gained weight. Even our vet was amazed at how they maintained their weight even as they aged. So with Daphne I'm kind of dancing in the dark feeding-wise. Don't want to starve her...don't want her fat.

I just took this photo of her. She's no Skinny Minnie
709cd2a4d70a9ab19bf496aa5481b29e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
She's a little bit tubby but i don't really think it's an issue at her young age. You have plenty of time to watch her grow and moderate her waistline/food.
Instead of the Milk Bones, consider treats like Honest Kitchen Pecks or Nuzzles. There's lots of grain free treats available that are far better for bullies than MBs.
She'll probably end up in the 48-52 lb range...just a guess.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
She's a little bit tubby but i don't really think it's an issue at her young age. You have plenty of time to watch her grow and moderate her waistline/food.
Instead of the Milk Bones, consider treats like Honest Kitchen Pecks or Nuzzles. There's lots of grain free treats available that are far better for bullies than MBs.
She'll probably end up in the 48-52 lb range...just a guess.

And, as always, thank you for your insight and advice. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was thinking the same...get rid of the Milk bones!!! I find she looks great! There's absolutely nothing wrong about miss sexy there. She reminds me of Nyala. They are on the smaller side. Nyala was that size around same age. She's 18 months now and still hovers between 46-48lbs. She's in great shape, moves extremely fast n never stops. Just like yours. Nyala eats HK n one cup of protein. All divided into 2 portions, in the day she gets dry liver snacks or duck snacks. No way MB as its made in China and ingredients I have to double take as sounds scary (my daughter in law buys it for her dog. I bring my snacks now when I go over lol). Days she gets greek yogurt mix with her vitamins, or she gets pears, apples, carrots, etc. Im telling you her menu cause again, her too is on the smaller version. Just to give you an idea. As you see in the photo Nyala is not over weight. Nor will yours be in the future.

Ok im done now. I smell purrrdy.jpg

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I want Daphne to look like Nyala. I'll keep my eye on her weight and exercise level. She's very busy all day. She does take an afternoon nap. i appreciate your input

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You have been given some great advice... I agree on the milk bones, just give everyone the new treats.

My Walter is HUGE... he's nearing the 55-58 pounds zone, but my Willow is TINY... she is almost 18 months old and only weighs about 35 pounds. Walter is fixed, and as soon as he got neutered we watch him bulk up. Willow hasn't been spayed yet, so this may be the reason. I give them both 2 cups of Fromms a day (less for the missy) with veggies added in, and they get a dog treat (grain free) in the morning and a fruit snack at night. They both are pretty active IMO... daily walks w/two play sessions during the day... depending on the weather. I worry about Wally, but my vet thinks he looks fine.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Just remember bullies come in all shapes and sizes. Harlea is almost for and she hovers between 38 to 40 pounds.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I want Daphne to look like Nyala. I'll keep my eye on her weight and exercise level. She's very busy all day. She does take an afternoon nap. i appreciate your input

Just go with the flow. Like mentioned, these dogs comes in all sorts of shapes n sizes. Just enjoy her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Don!t worry about her weight till after a year and do not go by pounds go by how she looks and if you can or cannot see a nice 'V' shape to her waist.

Also, get rid of the milkbones.. not a good treat at all--- try fruitables or ither grain free snack

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.