betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Well, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've found myself gravitating back to the site lately so I thought I'd do an update post :)

Effie turned 2 in January. She is an absolute joy. I couldn't possibly love her more. She had a vet appointment last week, and we learned that she now weighs nearly 70lbs. Vet thinks she needs to lose some weight (although the hubby & I think she's perfect). We are going to try our best to stop giving her people food scraps **crosses fingers** She doesn't seem to be having any weight related issues, but since she had that leg injury as a puppy we want to do our best to avoid issues in the future as she ages. Although to be honest, she's pretty tall for an EB & we don't think she necessarily looks overweight. I'll try to attach some pics on here, maybe you all can let me know what you think :D

In other news- I got an email from my Aunt (who lives in Roanoke, VA- about 5 hours from us here in VA Beach) towards the end of Feb, about a 2 year old EB being re-homed (she found the ad on Craigslist). The story goes like this -a man found an EB tied to a tree outside of his apartment building. She was there for 2 days, before he brought her in. He left a note in case the owner came looking & he filed a found dog report with Roanoke animal control. He kept the dog for about 2 weeks & received no response, so he decided it was time to find her a home. I was concerned because the ad was a "free to a good home" which is just never a good idea, especially not with bulldogs. I emailed the guy to plead our case & asked to set up a time to come meet her. Several days went by without a response. I finally got a call from him & he informed me that he had gotten hundreds of emails & he had no clue that bulldogs were so popular! He thought we sounded like the best fit & the dog's best opportunity for a good life. Several days later we headed to Roanoke to meet her. When we got there she seemed very skinny, but EXTREMELY friendly, energetic & very happy to meet us & Effie. We took her home. The man thought she was about 2 years old, based on her teeth. We thought my god, she's so small to be that old (or maybe we're just used to Effie & her big rumpus :p LOL). After taking her to our vet for a quick initial exam & rabies shot, we learned that she is more like 1 year old, so we don't feel quite as concerned. She weighs in at 45lbs right now. We've named her Josie :luv: I'm still sort of in shock that it worked out. We've been watching her stool & everything seems normal. No sign of worms or fleas. Eyes & ears look good. We had the vet scan her for a microchip & she actually did have one. So we sent out a Found Dog alert through the microchip company. Our vet told us to wait a week to see if a response was received. Our vet got a response yesterday from a guy in Roanoke stating that he has been getting phone calls from a microchip company stating that they have his dog...except he doesn't own a dog :ohmy: so he wants the calls to stop. During this time I also scoured the internet looking at lost dog reports for that area- but no luck. So...vet says we can now claim legal ownership. The whole situation is truly mind boggling to me :whut?:, but we are certainly happy to have her & will make sure that she does have a good life.

Effie loves her new sister- my house is presently in full on circus mode. They play-play-play-play-play. It's sort of insane. They play pretty rough. They've both gotten a couple of battle wounds already. We are continuously breaking them up. Anyone have any experience with this? We are doing our best to make sure Effie doesn't get jealous- and she doesn't seem to be. We feed them in separate rooms (because Josie will down hers & then go for Effie's too!) We buy 2 of the same toy, but they always seem to want the same 1, and will steal it back and forth from one another. Effie seems very happy when playing this game. The only time I ever hear Effie growl is when she's trying to sleep & Josie is walking all over her (usually at night). This is my first go around with 2 dogs, and I just wanted to make sure that the rough play was normal. From everything I've read, that does seem to be the case.

The only other issue to note is that Josie does not seem to be fully housebroken. She does good for the most part, but we can't seem to make it through a full day without her urinating at least once in the house. Effie was really easy to house break, but she was 8 weeks when we got her. We just took her out frequently & consistently. So for now that is what we are trying to do with Josie. Other than that, she goes back to the vet next Wed 3/15, for a full comprehensive exam, blood work, stool sample, de-worming, and vaccines, Wish us luck!!! We welcome any advice :) Glad to be back on here!

josie1.jpgjosie2.jpgeffie&josie1.jpgeffie&josie2.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:DWelcome back! You have had an adventure! When my dogs were one and two, they played alot-and pretty rough! As long as there are no fights-they are getting exercise! As for the toys, I used to buy four of each toy-they always wanted "The same ONE" which looked better when someone else had it, so now when I buy toys,I just buy one of each! About peeing in the house-they will (especially the young one) usually have to pee,after playing pretty hard! Try taking her out,after they play. I have had a lot of different breeds, and EBD's play the roughest.
The micro-chip. The person who said he didn't own the dog, may be the person who tied her where she was found-didn't want her,and may not want to admit to it! You have done your due diligence,and now she is yours,and Effie sounds very happy about it! If the vet thinks Effie needs to lose weight,she just might- just by having a playmate! Personally,I like chubby dogs! [MENTION=14079]betterxthanxnew[/MENTION] Great update,and the two girls look very happy=great pictures!

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Yes, it's been quite an adventure! Thanks for your response, I'm glad to feel reassured that the rough-housing is normal. There isn't any growling or fighting taking place, but they sure do love to chew on one another. I think it's more upsetting to me than it is to either of them. The whole toy thing is so funny to watch- I mean no sooner have I handed both of them identical toys, Effie spats hers out and the chase is on to steal Josie's! LOL :lmao:. Silly things. And I do think you're right, the accident almost always happens after they've been playing hard- we need to pay much closer attention. We've gotten too lazy with Effie because she's so well trained. She has her certain "set in stone" times that we take her out (which is usually twice in the morning before work- once right when we wake up & then again before we leave for work, another midday potty break on my husband's lunch-break, and then about 3 times in the evening- when we get home, about an hour after she eats dinner, and before we head to bed). For now we are trying to take Josie out as often as possible & praising her like crazy for peeing outside. Definitely need to pay closer attention so we can ensure a potty break after playtime :) Hopefully that helps!

Josie's back story is certainly crazy. Our vet thought that perhaps she was stolen after we discovered the microchip. I told her that "flipping" had occurred to me, but seemed unlikely because the guy did not ask for any money! She said you never know, could have been an ex or neighbor he didn't like. Honestly- he didn't come across that way, he seemed genuinely concerned for the dog's well being. Then after all of that, to get that sort of response from the guy whose number was attached to that microchip was just so strange!! I sort of came to the same conclusion you did- "yeah he's probably the one who tied her up out there..." but it makes you wonder why on earth anyone would do such a thing :cursing:!!! Especially knowing how expensive they are (we certainly didn't get Effie for free!). She seems pretty darn healthy & happy, but her official vet exam is next week. Hopefully all goes well, or we may have an answer as to why someone left her in that condition. Either way- we're in it for the long haul, so whatever ailments little girl has will get taken of care to the best of our abilities! :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome back! What a great new home for Miss Josie! Love that things are settling in with them and they are enjoying one another. The toy thing... yep, they just want what the other has.. does not matter if it is the same.

Effie weight... could she have some Ole English in her? If she does, that would explain the longer legs and her snout seems longer too. Can you post a picture of her wait form above (looking down on top of her) ? if it is a nice 'V' shape she is fine!

Both girls are beautiful.. thanks for the pictures and keep them coming

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
great looking dogs :) So glad it's turning out for all of you :)

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Wow! What an adventure! Sounds to me like a little bit of Devine intervention!
Mine do the same thing with toys. I still buy 2 of each- but it's Penny ( alpha) who is always taking Lockjaws. 🤣🤣
Mine play rough sometimes as well. Just have to keep an eye out that they don't take it too far.
Your girls are gorgeous!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well....today we got some bad news.

The owner stepped forward to claim Josie (whose real name is Givenchy)...Apparently the owner contacted my vet this morning & they told her that they would give me her info to call her- so I did. Apparently the owner had given Josie to a "friend" to keep for a while because she had just had a baby. This friend was keeping Josie in a backyard along with his bulldog puppy, both were purchased at the same time from a puppy store for about 3k a piece. The owner told me that Josie is a puppy, about a year old, and "should be entering her 2nd heat cycle soon" as though that was important? Wasn't to us--- we had planned on having her spayed. It makes me wonder if the idea was to breed her all along, which is sort of the vibe that I got. Long story short, the lady wants her dog back, and we don't have any leg to stand on. My vet told me this morning that the lady was already asking if she needed to get a lawyer. My husband and I had already planned a trip to Roanoke to visit my Aunt the weekend of 3/17, so I told the owner we could meet her then, or if she preferred she could certainly drive out here to get her prior to that. She declined & said we could meet up when we come into town....
The thing that is most upsetting is that she was living in a backyard- and had been missing for well over a month, and this lady had no clue her dog was even missing until she got the email from the microchip company yesterday! Apparently her "friend" had broken up with his girlfriend & just left the dogs there. She called him when she got the email & he said he had no clue she was missing...WHAT???? How is this even possible?
Murphy's Law generally applies to just about anything in my life...so this is just typical for me. Fall in love with a dog, and have no choice but to return her to a shady situation, because I can't risk being sued & having to fight a legal battle that I can't afford. And really we have no legal leg to stand on, as this lady can easily prove ownership.
My husband and I are heartbroken to say the least. It just figures that as soon as I'm ready to share the story with everyone, it all falls apart. All I can do is HOPE and PRAY that we are returning her to a loving home...but it certainly doesn't seem that way to me. Who knows how long it's even been since Josie was in the owner's actual possession...UGH. All I want to do at this point is go home & cry.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Can the woman provide proof that it's really her dog? Obviously the chip wasn't her phone number.. I would make her provide proof. You also might want call ur local animal shelter to see what the laws r regarding these types of situations. Just my first thoughts....

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Can the woman provide proof that it's really her dog? Obviously the chip wasn't her phone number.. I would make her provide proof. You also might want call ur local animal shelter to see what the laws r regarding these types of situations. Just my first thoughts....

My antennae are up. Do make this woman provide WRITTEN proof of ownership. If she paid 3K for the pup, she should have proof in some form. Possession is 9/10 of the law. I would draft a very formal email requesting the proof. It's very important to have ink not phone chats. The burden of proof is not on you.

I wish Josie could speak human.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well....today we got some bad news.

The owner stepped forward to claim Josie (whose real name is Givenchy)...Apparently the owner contacted my vet this morning & they told her that they would give me her info to call her- so I did. Apparently the owner had given Josie to a "friend" to keep for a while because she had just had a baby. This friend was keeping Josie in a backyard along with his bulldog puppy, both were purchased at the same time from a puppy store for about 3k a piece. The owner told me that Josie is a puppy, about a year old, and "should be entering her 2nd heat cycle soon" as though that was important? Wasn't to us--- we had planned on having her spayed. It makes me wonder if the idea was to breed her all along, which is sort of the vibe that I got. Long story short, the lady wants her dog back, and we don't have any leg to stand on. My vet told me this morning that the lady was already asking if she needed to get a lawyer. My husband and I had already planned a trip to Roanoke to visit my Aunt the weekend of 3/17, so I told the owner we could meet her then, or if she preferred she could certainly drive out here to get her prior to that. She declined & said we could meet up when we come into town....
The thing that is most upsetting is that she was living in a backyard- and had been missing for well over a month, and this lady had no clue her dog was even missing until she got the email from the microchip company yesterday! Apparently her "friend" had broken up with his girlfriend & just left the dogs there. She called him when she got the email & he said he had no clue she was missing...WHAT???? How is this even possible?
Murphy's Law generally applies to just about anything in my life...so this is just typical for me. Fall in love with a dog, and have no choice but to return her to a shady situation, because I can't risk being sued & having to fight a legal battle that I can't afford. And really we have no legal leg to stand on, as this lady can easily prove ownership.
My husband and I are heartbroken to say the least. It just figures that as soon as I'm ready to share the story with everyone, it all falls apart. All I can do is HOPE and PRAY that we are returning her to a loving home...but it certainly doesn't seem that way to me. Who knows how long it's even been since Josie was in the owner's actual possession...UGH. All I want to do at this point is go home & cry.

Is her name on the microchip for sure? Call the local shelter for advice... they may be able to shed some light.

Or... can you offer to buy her?

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I contacted a lawyer, who told us that if the lady can verify that she is the one attached to the chip (the names do match) then she has "superior owner rights." The lawyer said we could try to make it difficult, and force the owner to come to us instead of bringing her back to them. I tell ya, the whole situation is just so heartbreaking. The longer we keep her the more attached I'm becoming. I did talk with the owner and I offered her a $500 rehoming fee because we've grown so fond of her, and the owner said they want what is best for her and that she would talk it over with her husband. This gave us some hope. But last night she reached back out to me and said they really didn't want to sell her, but if we could pay $1500 they would, because that's at least half of what they paid. I feel extorted. I'm sorry, but if it were Effie no amount of money would have been acceptable, and you can bet that we would have been in our car that day going to pick her up. My husband and I just don't have that kind of cash available though 😔 My hustand mentioned maybe starting a Go Fund me account to get up the extra $1000 that we would need. But I just don't see anyone actually donating to the cause 😔 We will most certainly require proof of identity & ownership when we return her, but that's really all we can do. We are just so heartbroken. Mostly because I just know Josie is headed back into the same situation she just got out of. With the housebreaking issues and the insane energy, I just don't see this lady keeping her in the house and working with her. Not with a new baby and her husband on deployment. Supposedly. I'm at a loss for what to do 🙁 it seems like we have no choices. The lawyer I spoke to said that she could very easily take us to small claims court if we make it too hard for her to get the dog back....and again, the longer we keep her the worse it's going to feel when we lose 🙁

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@betterxthanxnew Maybe you could call the humane society and tell them the situation that this dog was in,and was left alone in a back yard, and no one even knew she was missing. ?? If not, I have some $ that I could loan you, and maybe some others could chip in. I don't want her to have to go back there. You know she doesn't REALLY care about the dog-just figure she can make some$$ with pups!

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Thank you so much, we couldn't possibly borrow money from you though. We are on a tight budget (thank you student loans) and I hate to think of how long it would take me to pay you back 🙁 We are tinkering with the idea of starting a Go Fund Me. Both my sister and my Aunt seem to think it's worth a shot. Although I think it's a long one....I do really believe she just wants to make money! It's so sad, we really do not want her going back there either. I truly believe she will end up in the same boat as before. I don't know anyone that would claim to "love" their dog, but then relocate it somewhere (due to housing issues, which we don't even know if that was truly resolved?) and not even check on it (for who knows how long?), to the point that she didn't even know her dog was missing! When was she planning on even getting her dog back from her "friend" ??Such total ludicrous. Such a person shouldn't even own a dog 😔

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@betterxthanxnew Maybe you could call the humane society and tell them the situation that this dog was in,and was left alone in a back yard, and no one even knew she was missing. ?? If not, I have some $ that I could loan you, and maybe some others could chip in. I don't want her to have to go back there. You know she doesn't REALLY care about the dog-just figure she can make some$$ with pups!

@Manydogs Thank you so much, we couldn't possibly borrow money from you though. We are on a tight budget (thank you student loans) and I hate to think of how long it would take me to pay you back  We are tinkering with the idea of starting a Go Fund Me. Both my sister and my Aunt seem to think it's worth a shot. Although I think it's a long one....I do really believe she just wants to make money! It's so sad, we really do not want her going back there either. I truly believe she will end up in the same boat as before. I don't know anyone that would claim to "love" their dog, but then relocate it somewhere (due to housing issues, which we don't even know if that was truly resolved?) and not even check on it (for who knows how long?), to the point that she didn't even know her dog was missing! When was she planning on even getting her dog back from her "friend" ??Such total ludicrous. Such a person shouldn't even own a dog 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We can't post the go fund me here... but I would be willing to help. I hate to see her go back ---- offer the lady $1000. You and hubby come up with 500 and the go fund me the other 500.... it is worth a shot . And, tell her to come to you!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.