Question-Last Potty Break of the Night

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Just curious about this, Joey will be 2 years old May 31st and she seems to be able to "hold it" a really long time, just wondering if that is normal. Housebroken since really young (thank God) and run of the house since about 10 months old. She will tell me when she has to go out, which is NOT as often as I would think....but what do I know. Is it possible that she will harm herself by not "going" more often??

So, just so I can better understand can you tell me how long your pups "hold it"

Thanks!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I put my guys out around 8:15-8:30pm for their last potty, and we get up around 6:30am so that's around 10 hours that they are able to hold it at night. During the day they want out several times, but it's not always to go potty...

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Thanks! Is it different between girls and boys? So it shouldn't concern me if she goes out at 630pm and not again until around 6AM? In the morning it's no like she is rushed either, I have to wake her up to go out and I only do that because I walk outside then until around 7

Also....should I WAKE her before I go to bed and make her go out? I don't want her "holding it" so long if it could hurt her...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
the most we've asked our kids to hold it is about 10 hours overnight. They are not allowed to drink after that last potty break before turning in for the night.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Thanks for the input!

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I take mine out right before I go to sleep. He is male. My belief is to take him more often than he asks. Holding it is not always good for bladder health. It could lead to weakened bladder muscles or uti. Mine goes out about 4-5 times a day.

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Over the weekend I take Bella out every 4 - 5 hours. Last time out every night is about 8:30. I get up early, around 5:00. Sometimes she gets up wiith me, sometin=mes she waits till my wife gets up. Depends on how comfortable she is

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] Thank you! We will begin a new routine, wake her up, like it or not, and out to pee before bed. I was starting to think that her holding it so long could have health issues down the road when she is older so better change routine now. I swear she is like a camel !!! She HATES being awakened and dragged outside but we will make a go of it :) Thank you again !

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15760]rufasim[/MENTION] Thanks! Weekends pretty much same as weekdays, out first thing unless we are having coffee in bed and she will NOT move, just snuggles, then 2 or 3 times for the day. But as I mentioned I will start different routine so her bladder doesn't get week like [MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] said, Joey is part camel for sure......

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] Boy do I feel stupid......I will NO LONGER allow her to hold it EVER!!! Even if she is sound asleep.

Thank you very very much!!!!!

I really should clarify that Joey is great about telling me she needs to go out so I figured that if she does not need to go then I would not wake her up to go out.....this will change so she does not hold it so long over night :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our guys go out for last potty at 9:00 - 9:15 PM every night, I wake them if sleeping and then first out is 5:00AM when we get up for the work day. Weekends, Cheli wakes me up each morning by 6;30 AM so they longest they hold is overnight abd about 9 hours. When we are home with them... we take them out about every 3 hours for a potty run

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
During the week he probably only holds it 7 hours or less since I go to bed later than I should and get up at 5:10. Weekends I let him out around 1:00 am and have an alarm set for 9 and take him out then. He goes again after I feed him and we go for a short morning and evening walk. He poops 1-2 times daily and usually right after eating

My neighbor lets him out during the day around noon so he doesnt hold it more than 5-6 hours then. We go out 5-6 times during the days I am off work and play or walk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Just curious about this, Joey will be 2 years old May 31st and she seems to be able to "hold it" a really long time, just wondering if that is normal. Housebroken since really young (thank God) and run of the house since about 10 months old. She will tell me when she has to go out, which is NOT as often as I would think....but what do I know. Is it possible that she will harm herself by not "going" more often??

So, just so I can better understand can you tell me how long your pups "hold it"

Thanks!!

hi we have always used a schedule. We take them out at 6:00 or 6:30 am then they have breakfast, I take them out again at 10:00 am, then again around 2:00 or 3:00 pm, then we feed then dinner around 6:00 or 6:30 pm, and then out for another potty. Their last walk is at 9:00 or 10:00 pm until the morning. They can hold longer during the day, and have if I have to go out somewhere, but I don't like them to hold for more than 4 or 5 hours, because I'm afraid that it can cause bladder infections, plus I don't want them to be uncomfortable. They do hold 8 to 10 hours overnight, and don't drink water after their last walk at night.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks all for the great information! I started Joey's new evening routine last night, even if she WANTS to hold I will not allow her too.

Members online

No members online now.