Bella Adjusting to Her New Roomate... Help and Questions

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We have a three year old english bulldog named Bella. Since living together, Bella has been an only dog. We have just recently moved to Indianapolis. We have recently purchased a new puppy named Bailey. Bailey is a three month old puppy who has lots of energy. Since Bailey has entered the home we have noticed Bella being more standoffish. What have people tried to get there dogs to get along better?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is extremely common especially w/bulldogs... is Bailey a male or female? They are just trying to determine pecking order, so expect some weird days. Whenever I bring in a new pup, I try to make sure that my older one gets some "puppy free" time (pup goes in a crate or pen for a nap) and give your older dog some individual attention. You can take them on short walks side by side together, or play a game of tug-of-war and/or catch. Things will get easier the longer they are together...

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Also, quick tidbit of info, Bailey is Shihtzu/Lhsa Aspo. She generally likes to run around in circles around Bella and Bella will sit there but we can tell she is uncomfortable. Bella also is not yet spaded and will be next week which may or may not help but I've been told it can help with easing her down a little bit. Thoughts??

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Great advice and they are both females which I forgot to mention!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Also, quick tidbit of info, Bailey is Shihtzu/Lhsa Aspo. She generally likes to run around in circles around Bella and Bella will sit there but we can tell she is uncomfortable. Bella also is not yet spaded and will be next week which may or may not help but I've been told it can help with easing her down a little bit. Thoughts??

Two very different temperaments, but Bella will let Bailey know when she has had enough. be sure both pups know YOU are alpha and be sure to have all humans follow the same commands, rules and limitation with them. Spaying will not really impact any level of dominance in them, it is either there or it is not. Our female, Banks, was the queen of dominance and we had her spay at 6 months... she was a 9 year training session -- meaning, the training and commands never stopped.

Take them on walks tighter to help them pack up and establish their 'order'

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.