Eating Rocks

k9paws

Aug 29, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diva
Hello,
I recently acquired a 2-yr. old male Bulldog, that was originally bought at a pet store. (Not something I would have done). He has been neutered and to the Vetā€™s and is in good health. The problem is that he eats rocks. So far, he has passed them, sometimes in diarrhea, but I am afraid he is going to harm himself doing this.
Any ideals of why he does this and how to stop him?

Thank you
Gary

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... this is a very hard habit to break. My Willow will eat rocks as well, so I have to keep them out of our yard. Be careful because sometimes rocks can cause an obstruction and that can require surgery. The only way I know of stopping my Willow is to keep them away from her... which can be impossible if you yard is loaded w/them. Does he try to dig them up?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello,
I recently acquired a 2-yr. old male Bulldog, that was originally bought at a pet store. (Not something I would have done). He has been neutered and to the Vetā€™s and is in good health. The problem is that he eats rocks. So far, he has passed them, sometimes in diarrhea, but I am afraid he is going to harm himself doing this.
Any ideals of why he does this and how to stop him?

Thank you
Gary

Hi , I don't know the answer to as to why they eat rocks or other things. My Bulldozer used to eat rocks when I first got him, but he eventually stopped doing this. He does eat other things though, he is my textile eater. Lol. He loves soft things like pillows, blankets, towels, paper towels, napkins, and his favourite thing is socks. He has swallowed 4 socks in the 5 years I've had him, and he either throws them up, or poops them out. His sister Blossom loves to eat things outside, like sticks, pinecones, grass pucks after the grass has been mowed, or mulch, and random food she finds like half eaten apples, banana peels, and her favourite is cigarette butts, which are toxic. Cigarette butts are the worst, and the most worrying, because they can make her sick and they are hard to avoid, since they are everywhere. I just have to be very careful and be her eyes and try to avoid them, but she is quick and sometimes she can eat two or three on a walk. I can sometimes get them out of her mouth, but sometimes she just swallows them quickly, and then I find them in her poop later. It worries me because I'm afraid that the chemicals in them can make her sick, or do something to her stomach lining. I don't know what the answer is or how to stop her, other than putting a muzzle on her on walks. I not like the idea of that either though because bullies have compromised breathing, so I would worry that a muzzle would hinder her breathing, also bullies don't have a long nose like other breeds, so not many muzzles would fit properly, and I don't want people to think she is a vicious dog and needs a muzzle. Blossom is the sweetest gentlest baby, and she is such a social butterfly. Some People already think our bullies look like pit bulls or that they look scary, so I don't want people to think otherwise.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi , I don't know the answer to as to why they eat rocks or other things. My bulldozer used to eat rocks when I first got him, but he eventually stopped doing this. He does eat other things though, he is my textile eater. Lol. He loves soft things like pillows, blankets, towels, paper towels, napkins, and his favourite thing is socks. He has swallowed 4 socks in the 5 years I've had him, and he either throws them up, or poops them out. His sister Blossom loves to eat things outside, like sticks, pinecones, grass pucks after the grass has been mowed, or mulch, and random food she finds like half eaten apples, banana peels, and her favourite is cigarette butts, which are toxic. Cigarette butts are the worst, and the most worrying, because they can make her sick and they are hard to avoid, since they are everywhere. I just have to be very careful and be her eyes and try to avoid them, but she is quick and sometimes she can eat two or three on a walk. I can sometimes get them out of her mouth, but sometimes she just swallows them quickly, and then I find them in her poop later. It worries me because I'm afraid that the chemicals in them can make her sick, or do something to her stomach lining. I don't know what the answer is or how to stop her, other than putting a muzzle on her on walks. I not like the idea of that though because bullies have compromised breathing, so I would worry that a muzzle would hinder her breathing, also bullies don't have a long nose like other breeds, so not many muzzles would fit properly, and I don't want peop,e to think she is a vicious dog and needs a muzzle. Blossom is the sweetest gentlest baby, and she is such a social butterfly. Some People already think our bullies look like pit bulls or that they look scary, so I don't want people to think otherwise.

textile eater :lmaogirl::lmaogirl::lmaogirl:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had the same issue with Banks... she at them, at least why I think she did, is because she thought it was FOOD! :stinkeye: She ended up with one in her belly to big to pass and never tried to come up -- it bounced around in her for some time until it begain to irritate her belly -- her behavior changed, nothing else (no vomit or poo) -- so I took her to out vet and said "I do not know what is going on, but she is off and I want her checked head to toe'.... she had a 2 inch rock in her belly and we had no idea she even ate it :facepalm:

After that... we walked the yard with my niece and nephew, picking up every small rock/stone we could find and then we had to stay very close to her to ensure she did not dig any up. Only way we were able to stop her.

GOOD LUCK!

OP
K

k9paws

Aug 29, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diva
Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate the feedback, lot of good information. One problem we have is our yard grows more rocks then it does grass, so it very hard to get all the rocks out of the yard.
As for our rock eater, he is in good health, so I think with him it is just that he is hungry all the time. Or thinks he is. He is a big boy weighs about 60 lbs. and is not fat. Iā€™m considering starting him on a homemade diet or combination of kibble and homemade and see if this will help him.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just wondering if giving your dog some fresh or frozen green beans between meals would help fill him up without adding much calories. Maybe a bit of pumpkin too although that has more calories.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online