Canelo Is Getting Old, Thoughts??

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Canelo will be 6 yo on May 7th. I'm planning a party for him, however over the last week I have seen changes that scare me. After we brought Canelo home we learned the average life of a bully is 8 yo so Husband and I started a mission to give him great care.

Typically, I open Canelo's kennel and he makes an express B line to his food bowl. He's an extreme footy, but this week he lays in his kennel. Last night I didn't make him go in his kennel so he slept under my bed. I had to get on my hands and knees to coax him out from under the bed. Once out he ate and is now playing.

Husband says I'm over reacting this sudden change is due to age but my radar is on full alert. I've checked him for fever, ear and nose issues, nothing. Right now he's energetic. His annual check up is in August but I'm thinking of taking him in now, thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I am tagging [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] who has an 11 young at heart old in Tyson.

Naturally you are concern. I can see myself going there someday. Canelo is being surrounded by people that loves him. The boy is very lucky. Just enjoy him. He is fine.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had a senior boxer, my Roxie girl... I noticed that she would have some "off" days. She would have a slower reaction time, or just seemed to want to lay around more. Keep an eye on him, but as long as he's otherwise normal I wouldn't worry too much. If he keeps refusing meals, I would take him to the vet for a check...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Is Canelo overweight? Has he had blood work done lately? Vet check up?

Average age when I fist began in rescue(so I was told) was 8-10. The dogs we've owned over the years have lived anywhere between 7 and 14 years. The same would apply to most of the rescues we've placed and kept up with...approaching 1000 dogs. If I had to guess, I'd say that the average age we have experienced is about 11. Keep in mind that the so called "average age", whatever that might be, quite likely includes bulldogs that have died as a result of heat stroke, drowning, hit by car, gun shot, neglect, medical conditions that could have been avoided, etc....many things that we, as responsible Bulldog owners, would not allow to happen. The high side of average is what we should expect...10-11 yrs, IMO.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'd be possibly getting him earlier to the vet. When they are older you want to catch things quicker. Tyson goes in about every 3-6 months for blood work. (My Decision) bc if something does appear I want to catch it quickly. Him not going for his food as usual could be a sign that he doesn't feel well. Age will slow them down, but not make them change habits, if that makes sense. Tyson is 11, and besides arthritis the boy is the picture of health, perfect bloodwork each time. He does need to lose weight and we struggle with that, but we are getting him down. #1 thing in age is WEIGHT.... the less weight, the less problems. For us its his arthritis, less weight, less pain. But the weight can also contribute to heart, respiratory and organ issues.

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Is Canelo overweight? Has he had blood work done lately? Vet check up?

Average age when I fist began in rescue(so I was told) was 8-10. The dogs we've owned over the years have lived anywhere between 7 and 14 years. The same would apply to most of the rescues we've placed and kept up with...approaching 1000 dogs. If I had to guess, I'd say that the average age we have experienced is about 11. Keep in mind that the so called "average age", whatever that might be, quite likely includes bulldogs that have died as a result of heat stroke, drowning, hit by car, gun shot, neglect, medical conditions that could have been avoided, etc....many things that we, as responsible Bulldog owners, would not allow to happen. The high side of average is what we should expect...10-11 yrs, IMO.

I personally think he's overweight. I feed him 1/2 cup of food in the morning and evening. He gets human treats at night, calculating, less than 500 calories total at night. If I didn't regulate his food, he'd eat it all. He's my first pup to manage his food consumption.

He was at 69 lbs, and we got him to 60 lbs which we've been maintaining. We have been watching his weight for over 3 years now.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Hi there! My Punk will be 8 in May. She hasn't really slowed down any - still acts like a pup, but I have noticed that she doesn't want to jump up on the couch or bed as eagerly as she used to. She will just stand there looking at me. I will get down and go to her to put her feet on the couch - like I did with Mickey ( who was 11-12 ) when he passed. She will then jump on the couch or bed - doesn't wait for me to help her. I have noticed that she is getting grayer - mostly on the face, bumm and legs. Her eyes are starting to droop a little at the bottom outside. I too get anxious thinking about her age - every day when I get home hoping she will be there to welcome me. But with the Good Lord's help hopefully our bullies will get much much older and be with us much much longer. :pray:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I personally think he's overweight. I feed him 1/2 cup of food in the morning and evening.
If he has a well-defined waist then his weight is good. It's very important for Bulldogs(especially older Bulldogs) to keep their weight down where it should be. Less weight to lug around is better for the muscles, joints, heart and breathing.
If he's overweight and more exercise is not an option, cut the kibble back a little more and replace with low sodium green beans.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Canelo!! I have nothing to add, EXCEPT hope you and mommy get you back right soon, AND we share the SAME Birthday!! May 7th is the COOLEST day!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nothing to add but to start breathing! Relax. Go to the vet if it will make you feel better. Canelo will feel you're tension. Breath by the nose. When you say, human treats, what are they?

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Nothing to add but to start breathing! Relax. Go to the vet if it will make you feel better. Canelo will feel you're tension. Breath by the nose. When you say, human treats, what are they?

I'm guilty of sharing my food with him. I have trouble refusing the face. For example I gave him some egg and sausage this morning. We have to keep an eye on him too because he has raided the pantry, see what he helped himself to? And he decided once he wanted crumbs from Venus so he turned her cage over.

7c002cfa80365999a42b3efc6f9e3156.jpg

8af4e4ba5f04737b8bb0e1a80a44ce96.jpg

No love lost between these two.

3be11dcc474d1c3169175236f4bb5753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG that bird cage... :rofl: I can't even imagine THAT mess... Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not sure which is funnier.... the bird cage raid of the Oreo cookie 'look'..... he is a hoot!

Could it be allergies? Lambeau (and my girl Banks) just wants to sleep all day when his allergies are acting up.... those few warm days we had - he just wanted to be in bed... he is only 2 yrs old

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm guilty of sharing my food with him. I have trouble refusing the face. For example I gave him some egg and sausage this morning. We have to keep an eye on him too because he has raided the pantry, see what he helped himself to? And he decided once he wanted crumbs from Venus so he turned her cage over.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to be the boot camp lady but if you're going to give only one cup of dog food which is not a lot and human food and yet he goes for cookies n all, there's your problem. Cute face ir not, you have got to stop the human junk food and give 2 cups of dog food per day. BTW what kind of dog food? When my kids were young I use to put then safety hatches. Put some in the pantry or where he can access food. Eventually he's going to think....aint opening that door as it doesn't open......another example is oreo cookies, worst cookie for addiction. That cookie has the highest sugar content than any other cookies. Seems now the government wants to look into oreos for health wise. That will not help Mr C's allergies for sure. Like the old saying which is so true, "you are what you eat".

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Hate to be the boot camp lady but if you're going to give only one cup of dog food which is not a lot and human food and yet he goes for cookies n all, there's your problem. Cute face ir not, you have got to stop the human junk food and give 2 cups of dog food per day. BTW what kind of dog food? When my kids were young I use to put then safety hatches. Put some in the pantry or where he can access food. Eventually he's going to think....aint opening that door as it doesn't open......another example is oreo cookies, worst cookie for addiction. That cookie has the highest sugar content than any other cookies. Seems now the government wants to look into oreos for health wise. That will not help Mr C's allergies for sure. Like the old saying which is so true, "you are what you eat".

I had to take a few days before replying because yes I was offended. We post but we don't give 100% of information and we can only reply to what is provided in the posts. I pamper and take care of of my Boy.

Food, after you pointed out the sodium levels of Zignature foods last year, I put him back on Fromm's Beef Frittata.

Per my Vet's plan, we have been following his recommendations for feeding which is under 3 cups. Nelo doesn't get human food every day and when he does it's protein only. Example, he didn't receive human food over the last four days.

Pantry is closed and locked. It's been this way for years but family leave things out and leave the pantry door open by accident.

Oreos were a pantry dive before we locked the pantry, we don't feed our pets chocolate or a ton of reprocessed foods. We don't keep Oreos, it was a one off.

"Mr. C's" allergies have been under control for over a year!!!

Members online

No members online now.