Entropion Surgery...

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
After getting conflicting opinions about whether or not Herschel actually needed the surgery he started to develop and ulcer. We took him to an ophthalmologist, they stapled his eyes open and we scheduled the surgery. I am now having second thoughts because I am afraid for Herschel to be put under. My thoughts are between weighing the risk of surgery vs. continued treatment that has got him through 4 years with no problems. All this is made worse by the fact that his mother passed last evening at a young age. She was over weight and had a clot that went to her heart. Anyway, has anyone ever deferred the entropion surgery? What was your experience?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Most complications that stem from surgeries are due to vets who are not familiar with the breed. We've never done Entropion surgery but Tyson has been put under twice. Once with a non-bulldog experienced vet (and we almost lost him) - 2nd time with an extremely experienced bulldog vet & staff and the difference was night & day. He even came home on the same day! So be confident in your vet, and have them run a quick blood tests & checkup before surgery (2nd surgery they did this as well) to make sure he was "healthy" enough to go under. In our case it was also his age, he was 8 at the time. I know others will chime in that have had the surgery with their thoughts as well. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have two that had entropion surgery-total four eyes. My vet has bulldogs and is very knowledgeable with all animals. They did fine-the worst of it all was 2 weeks in the cone!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this surgery.... but as others stated, make sure they are familiar with a bulldog being under anesthesia.

sending lots of hugs and prayers all goes well

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I don't have experience with it yet, but I will as of Thursday.... yikes! Hank is just one yr old, and he will be getting that, soft palate, and nares done on Thursday.. Very experienced( 38yrs with bulldogs) vet but I'm still of course edgy. Cant help it, he's my kid... I guess I feel that that one is the least of my 'surgery' worries,,,, so going for them all at once so the going under is worth it more??? oh lordy, I didn't like it with my shih tzus either! but didn't have the same knowledge as I do with this guy.. Anyway, best of luck in your decision... I second guess EVERYTHING and came here to reassure myself :) I'm now more comfortable to 'go for it'...

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
I am somewhat in the same boat. Sophie's been seen by three ophthalmologists and now is scheduled for surgery July 11. I am taking her to our regular vet today for her opinion, even though she said in the past she may have to have it done and she is the reason we saw an ophthalmologist in the first place. I am so scared to have to put her under. She was fine when she was spayed, but that seems like forever ago!

I'm sure all will be well, and you wrote this post some months ago, so I hope your baby is doing amazing!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
[MENTION=17281]berlin78[/MENTION] , Yes, it's always scary for sure, and confidence is what you'll need to make that decision or follow through... Mine didn't need the cone which saved us that part ;) AND! I'm totally happy we did it.... but!!!!! just because it's done, and done well, doesn't assure that it wont have or need to be done again :( that part blew me away!! I thought it was a for sure one time thing...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.