Can anyone explain the difference to me

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
What is the difference of an old English bulldoggee and an old engish bulldog?

I was on petlands website and got really mad lookin at the dogs and the puppymill thing

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't know, I did not know there were two different types of olde ?

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I know the first one sort of looks like a Mastiff. They are bigger and not short and stocky like our English Bulldogs.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeell, actually there is English Bulldogs and then there are Olde English Bulldogges. English Bulldogs (AKC Bulldogs) are what the majority of us have at this website. Olde English Bulldogges, are a newer breed that was started back in the 1970's.They are still not recognized by the AKC.
Here is part of an explaination found at: Olde English Bulldogge Information and Pictures, Olde English Bulldogges, Old English Bulldog, Old English Bulldogs

The Olde English Bulldogge is a very new and rare breed developed by David Leavitt through the crossing half English Bulldog, and the other half: Bullmastiff, Pit Bull, and American Bulldog. In 1971 he became disenchanted with English Bulldogs due to their breeding and breathing problems. He discovered that they didn’t look like their ancestors who were healthier and less extreme. David's goal was to produce a dog with the looks of the 18th century bulldog, with the temperament of today's English Bulldogs, yet healthy, without breathing problems, or all the other aliments today's English Bulldogs are prone to. This new breed can now breathe. They will never be like hounds, able to run for miles during the hottest weather of summer, but they’re three times better than the restricted modern Bulldog. Cesarean section births are not necessary. Artificial insemination, due to male ineptness and lack of drive, has been replaced by natural ties. Life span is over eleven years. All breeding stock have had hip x-rays. No dog with bad hips is bred. David says he is now achieving his goal of producing a Bulldog with the health and temperament to be able to serve people, instead of forcing people to serve him. David Leavitt is breeding them to more of a working lines type dog, while OEBKC is breeding the dogs as more of a family oriented dog.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Thanks for the information, [MENTION=1645]Mike Blaylock[/MENTION]. I have collected antique advertising items for years and have some with Bulldog graphics, but wasn't aware some breeders were going back to the "old style" Bulldogs. I know in the old days Bulldogs lived to be 10 to 12.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So what's the difference between an Olde English Bulldog ... and a Victorian Bulldog ... which I've seen in a couple of petshops here??

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.