My Bulldog is very destructive.

Sandyed

Feb 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Hi everyone. I really need some help. My 8 month old female Mia is very destructive. She eats everything she can. She has put holes in my walls. She eats carpet, chews on everything she can get her mouth on. We started crating her and it does nothing. She continues to destroy everything in my house. We watch her like a toddler but if you turn your back she is finding something to tear up. Does anyone have any advice. We absolutely love her but she is becoming to much to handle. We are thinking of looking for a good home for her if we can't get her under control. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Shes bored!! My dogs has done the same but usually when I am out of the room or house and he has free roam. Other than toys he has never destroyed anything when I am around him and the crate probably just makes your dog more frustrated because she is getting less exercise. They do grow out of it but not for another 6 months to a year

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
How much exercising and training are you doing? What toys does she have to chew?

I found vigilance, exercise, and chew toys helped the behavior. I also stuck jalapeno hot sauce on the things or walls he would chew.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Hi everyone. I really need some help. My 8 month old female Mia is very destructive. She eats everything she can. She has put holes in my walls. She eats carpet, chews on everything she can get her mouth on. We started crating her and it does nothing. She continues to destroy everything in my house. We watch her like a toddler but if you turn your back she is finding something to tear up. Does anyone have any advice. We absolutely love her but she is becoming to much to handle. We are thinking of looking for a good home for her if we can't get her under control. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How much exercise does she get on a regular basis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I have to agree with the others...she's probably bored and teething...teething like a baby.
How does she continue to destroy your home when she's being kenneled?
How would a "good home" be different from where she is now? How long has this behavior been going on?

Walk her. Get her some toys. Spend more time with her. Minimize the opportunities to chew things you deem undesirable and replace them with good doggie chew toys.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone... this pup needs some interaction. Have you taken her to any puppy classes? This would be a great time to introduce her to some basic training... and get her tired out. Take her for short walks... even 10-15 min can make a big difference in her behavior at the house. I would have antlers or nylabones laying around for her chew sessions...

I have my dogs on a schedule that works for our house... we have 2 major play sessions that last between 20-30 min twice a day at the least. I usually walk them in the mornings after my workouts, and then a couple of hours after their dinner we have a play session in the house. Sometimes (depending on the weather) we do training, tug-of-war, play fetch or I just throw the varsity ball outside. By the time evening hits, and we are watching TV both dogs are either snoozing or chewing on antlers... I think if you put Mia on a play schedule that will make her easier to deal with.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I agree with everything said up above,here are accepted chew toys from what I have read:
All the products listed by veterinary oral health council:
Veterinary Oral Health Council Accepted Products for Cats and Dogs

CET rawhide chews contain a dual-enzyme system that improves their effectiveness compared to plain rawhide chews. Kongs are firm rubber toys that come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Some of the Kongs allow you to place cheese or peanut butter inside to improve acceptance. The flexible “Gummi-bones” produced by the Nylabone company are safe for most dogs.

Greenies are safe and help with reduction in plaque and calculus.

Hard chew toys do help in decreasing dental calculus, but are associated with an increased incidence of broken teeth. Although touted as being part of a natural diet, dogs that are given hard chew products usually end up with painful dental fractures, which can actually expose the nerves of the teeth. The dogs end up with an abscessed tooth. Since they do not complain about it or act any different, these can go unnoticed for many years, leaving your pet in chronic discomfort. Wild dogs, such as wolves, also suffer the same dental fractures. They have no choice but to live with the pain. Fortunately, you can avoid most dental fractures in pets by controlling what they have access to. Therefore, cow hooves, thick pig ears, natural bones, or hard Nylabones are not recommended.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I agree with everything said up above,here are accepted chew toys from what I have read:
All the products listed by veterinary oral health council:
Veterinary Oral Health Council Accepted Products for Cats and Dogs

CET rawhide chews contain a dual-enzyme system that improves their effectiveness compared to plain rawhide chews. Kongs are firm rubber toys that come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Some of the Kongs allow you to place cheese or peanut butter inside to improve acceptance. The flexible “Gummi-bones” produced by the Nylabone company are safe for most dogs.

Greenies are safe and help with reduction in plaque and calculus.

Hard chew toys do help in decreasing dental calculus, but are associated with an increased incidence of broken teeth. Although touted as being part of a natural diet, dogs that are given hard chew products usually end up with painful dental fractures, which can actually expose the nerves of the teeth. The dogs end up with an abscessed tooth. Since they do not complain about it or act any different, these can go unnoticed for many years, leaving your pet in chronic discomfort. Wild dogs, such as wolves, also suffer the same dental fractures. They have no choice but to live with the pain. Fortunately, you can avoid most dental fractures in pets by controlling what they have access to. Therefore, cow hooves, thick pig ears, natural bones, or hard Nylabones are not recommended.

Hi..where did you get this information from? Please I'm going to say something but it's not against you just where you got the info from. Greenies are the worst crap on the market just like rawhide. Never never give greenies or rawhide to any dog. Ive given all my life real marrow bones to all my dogs. They all had beautiful white strong teeth. Give rubber toys as it removes stains and teeth stays white. You will have a lot of members in here will go against rawhide and greenies. Vets gets a commission with what they sell by these big companies like their Royal Canin kibbles. Another crappy product. This is MY opinion. :)

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
:cheers2:

Hi..where did you get this information from? Please I'm going to say something but it's not against you just where you got the info from. Greenies are the worst crap on the market just like rawhide. Never never give greenies or rawhide to any dog. Ive given all my life real marrow bones to all my dogs. They all had beautiful white strong teeth. Give rubber toys as it removes stains and teeth stays white. You will have a lot of members in here will go against rawhide and greenies. Vets gets a commission with what they sell by these big companies like their Royal Canin kibbles. Another crappy product. This is MY opinion. :)

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

Agreed been there done that with my first Bulldog NO RAWHIDE EVER , the dog will choke to death , they can not chew them, they will become soft and try to swallow them and get stuck in there throat , if you are busy or not there it is over !

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

At 8 months old she is in what I call the toddler stage.... what type of exercise or training are you doing with her?

I had a dominate female and at around 12-14 months she was unbearable because we did not address her needs (exercise/limitation)-- got a trainer and she taught us how to read Banks' behavior, how to train her and then trained us on how to work with her dominance and energy level. It takes lots of time and dedication, but so amazingly worth it.

Where are you located, we might be able to help you find a good trainer in your area.

Banks was a 9 year training session and I miss her more each and every day.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Mia is still a baby, this is very typical behavior for puppies. I agree, she needs exercise and training. Marrow bones are awesome, as are natural elk antlers. I get the beef marrow bones from the grocery store..like soup bones I think they are called. I freeze them and Sadie loves to work on it for hours. Since they are raw meat, I blanche them before freezing to kill the bacteria or give to her outside. All that chewing wears her out and keeps her busy.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Didn't realize that Greenies and rawhide were such a sensitive topic on this forum LOL. I was trying to suggest products that are not so hard that they will crack dogs back teeth. I got the information from a vets website, I didn't save the website information. Quite a few vet dental surgeons say that bones and horns and hard nylabones are not safe for dogs that chew hard.
1)Where do you get your information from that Greenies Grain free are so terrible- Here is the ingredient list:
Dried chickpeas, gelatin, glycerin, powdered cellulose, dried potato, water, lecithin, potato protein, natural poultry flavor, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, magnesium amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, potassium iodide), choline chloride, dried apple pomace, fruit juice color, vitamins ( dl-alpha tocopherol acetate [source of vitamin E], vitamin B12 supplement, d-calcium pantothenate [vitamin B5], niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement [vitamin B2], vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], folic acid), turmeric color.

2) With respect to C.E.T. rawhide, I wouldn't feed it to my dog since I don't want to have to supervise her while chewing it so that she doesn't swallow it. I would just give my dog C.E.T. Veggiedent chews, or some other VOHC recommended chews which aren't rawhid.. Veggiedent chews ingredients are as follows (not grain free) :
Corn starch, glycerin, soy bean protein, rice flour, palatable agent, sorbitol, corn cob, water, potassium sorbate.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Didn't realize that Greenies and rawhide were such a sensitive topic on this forum LOL. I was trying to suggest products that are not so hard that they will crack dogs back teeth. I got the information from a vets website, I didn't save the website information. Quite a few vet dental surgeons say that bones and horns and hard nylabones are not safe for dogs that chew hard.
1)Where do you get your information from that Greenies Grain free are so terrible- Here is the ingredient list:
Dried chickpeas, gelatin, glycerin, powdered cellulose, dried potato, water, lecithin, potato protein, natural poultry flavor, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, magnesium amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, potassium iodide), choline chloride, dried apple pomace, fruit juice color, vitamins ( dl-alpha tocopherol acetate [source of vitamin E], vitamin B12 supplement, d-calcium pantothenate [vitamin B5], niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement [vitamin B2], vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], folic acid), turmeric color.

2) With respect to C.E.T. rawhide, I wouldn't feed it to my dog since I don't want to have to supervise her while chewing it so that she doesn't swallow it. I would just give my dog C.E.T. Veggiedent chews, or some other VOHC recommended chews which aren't rawhid.. Veggiedent chews ingredients are as follows (not grain free) :
Corn starch, glycerin, soy bean protein, rice flour, palatable agent, sorbitol, corn cob, water, potassium sorbate.

Please dont feel bad as you saw no one's are great fan of that stuff. I know of a vet said never give rawhide as it forms a ball in tbe stomach which most of the time cannot be digested and the dog ends up in surgery. Why risk and chance it. :no: not worth it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.