Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: My Bulldog is very destructive.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mia
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default My Bulldog is very destructive.

    Hi everyone. I really need some help. My 8 month old female Mia is very destructive. She eats everything she can. She has put holes in my walls. She eats carpet, chews on everything she can get her mouth on. We started crating her and it does nothing. She continues to destroy everything in my house. We watch her like a toddler but if you turn your back she is finding something to tear up. Does anyone have any advice. We absolutely love her but she is becoming to much to handle. We are thinking of looking for a good home for her if we can't get her under control. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
  3. #2
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,024
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    3058

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    Shes bored!! My dogs has done the same but usually when I am out of the room or house and he has free roam. Other than toys he has never destroyed anything when I am around him and the crate probably just makes your dog more frustrated because she is getting less exercise. They do grow out of it but not for another 6 months to a year

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  4. #3
    Dog Groomer KimDe's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    558
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)
    578

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    How much exercising and training are you doing? What toys does she have to chew?

    I found vigilance, exercise, and chew toys helped the behavior. I also stuck jalapeno hot sauce on the things or walls he would chew.

  5. Likes Hstead liked this post
  6. #4
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,423
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Ollie
    Likes (Received)
    3046

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyed View Post
    Hi everyone. I really need some help. My 8 month old female Mia is very destructive. She eats everything she can. She has put holes in my walls. She eats carpet, chews on everything she can get her mouth on. We started crating her and it does nothing. She continues to destroy everything in my house. We watch her like a toddler but if you turn your back she is finding something to tear up. Does anyone have any advice. We absolutely love her but she is becoming to much to handle. We are thinking of looking for a good home for her if we can't get her under control. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    How much exercise does she get on a regular basis?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,465
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    7370

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    I have to agree with the others...she's probably bored and teething...teething like a baby.
    How does she continue to destroy your home when she's being kenneled?
    How would a "good home" be different from where she is now? How long has this behavior been going on?

    Walk her. Get her some toys. Spend more time with her. Minimize the opportunities to chew things you deem undesirable and replace them with good doggie chew toys.

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  8. Likes Hstead, helsonwheels liked this post
  9. #6
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    14,108
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    7704

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    I agree w/everyone... this pup needs some interaction. Have you taken her to any puppy classes? This would be a great time to introduce her to some basic training... and get her tired out. Take her for short walks... even 10-15 min can make a big difference in her behavior at the house. I would have antlers or nylabones laying around for her chew sessions...

    I have my dogs on a schedule that works for our house... we have 2 major play sessions that last between 20-30 min twice a day at the least. I usually walk them in the mornings after my workouts, and then a couple of hours after their dinner we have a play session in the house. Sometimes (depending on the weather) we do training, tug-of-war, play fetch or I just throw the varsity ball outside. By the time evening hits, and we are watching TV both dogs are either snoozing or chewing on antlers... I think if you put Mia on a play schedule that will make her easier to deal with.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  10. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
  11. #7
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    2,005
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    2132

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    I agree with everything said up above,here are accepted chew toys from what I have read:
    All the products listed by veterinary oral health council:
    Veterinary Oral Health Council Accepted Products for Cats and Dogs

    CET rawhide chews contain a dual-enzyme system that improves their effectiveness compared to plain rawhide chews. Kongs are firm rubber toys that come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Some of the Kongs allow you to place cheese or peanut butter inside to improve acceptance. The flexible “Gummi-bones” produced by the Nylabone company are safe for most dogs.

    Greenies are safe and help with reduction in plaque and calculus.

    Hard chew toys do help in decreasing dental calculus, but are associated with an increased incidence of broken teeth. Although touted as being part of a natural diet, dogs that are given hard chew products usually end up with painful dental fractures, which can actually expose the nerves of the teeth. The dogs end up with an abscessed tooth. Since they do not complain about it or act any different, these can go unnoticed for many years, leaving your pet in chronic discomfort. Wild dogs, such as wolves, also suffer the same dental fractures. They have no choice but to live with the pain. Fortunately, you can avoid most dental fractures in pets by controlling what they have access to. Therefore, cow hooves, thick pig ears, natural bones, or hard Nylabones are not recommended.

  12. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
  13. #8
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,872
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13170

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I agree with everything said up above,here are accepted chew toys from what I have read:
    All the products listed by veterinary oral health council:
    Veterinary Oral Health Council Accepted Products for Cats and Dogs

    CET rawhide chews contain a dual-enzyme system that improves their effectiveness compared to plain rawhide chews. Kongs are firm rubber toys that come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Some of the Kongs allow you to place cheese or peanut butter inside to improve acceptance. The flexible “Gummi-bones” produced by the Nylabone company are safe for most dogs.

    Greenies are safe and help with reduction in plaque and calculus.

    Hard chew toys do help in decreasing dental calculus, but are associated with an increased incidence of broken teeth. Although touted as being part of a natural diet, dogs that are given hard chew products usually end up with painful dental fractures, which can actually expose the nerves of the teeth. The dogs end up with an abscessed tooth. Since they do not complain about it or act any different, these can go unnoticed for many years, leaving your pet in chronic discomfort. Wild dogs, such as wolves, also suffer the same dental fractures. They have no choice but to live with the pain. Fortunately, you can avoid most dental fractures in pets by controlling what they have access to. Therefore, cow hooves, thick pig ears, natural bones, or hard Nylabones are not recommended.
    Hi..where did you get this information from? Please I'm going to say something but it's not against you just where you got the info from. Greenies are the worst crap on the market just like rawhide. Never never give greenies or rawhide to any dog. Ive given all my life real marrow bones to all my dogs. They all had beautiful white strong teeth. Give rubber toys as it removes stains and teeth stays white. You will have a lot of members in here will go against rawhide and greenies. Vets gets a commission with what they sell by these big companies like their Royal Canin kibbles. Another crappy product. This is MY opinion.

  14. #9
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,024
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    3058

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.



    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Hi..where did you get this information from? Please I'm going to say something but it's not against you just where you got the info from. Greenies are the worst crap on the market just like rawhide. Never never give greenies or rawhide to any dog. Ive given all my life real marrow bones to all my dogs. They all had beautiful white strong teeth. Give rubber toys as it removes stains and teeth stays white. You will have a lot of members in here will go against rawhide and greenies. Vets gets a commission with what they sell by these big companies like their Royal Canin kibbles. Another crappy product. This is MY opinion.

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  15. #10
    Dog Hoarder Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,396
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3335

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Hi..where did you get this information from? Please I'm going to say something but it's not against you just where you got the info from. Greenies are the worst crap on the market just like rawhide. Never never give greenies or rawhide to any dog. Ive given all my life real marrow bones to all my dogs. They all had beautiful white strong teeth. Give rubber toys as it removes stains and teeth stays white. You will have a lot of members in here will go against rawhide and greenies. Vets gets a commission with what they sell by these big companies like their Royal Canin kibbles. Another crappy product. This is MY opinion.
    Agreed been there done that with my first Bulldog NO RAWHIDE EVER , the dog will choke to death , they can not chew them, they will become soft and try to swallow them and get stuck in there throat , if you are busy or not there it is over !
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

  16. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,074
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17181

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyed View Post
    Hi everyone. I really need some help. My 8 month old female Mia is very destructive. She eats everything she can. She has put holes in my walls. She eats carpet, chews on everything she can get her mouth on. We started crating her and it does nothing. She continues to destroy everything in my house. We watch her like a toddler but if you turn your back she is finding something to tear up. Does anyone have any advice. We absolutely love her but she is becoming to much to handle. We are thinking of looking for a good home for her if we can't get her under control. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    At 8 months old she is in what I call the toddler stage.... what type of exercise or training are you doing with her?

    I had a dominate female and at around 12-14 months she was unbearable because we did not address her needs (exercise/limitation)-- got a trainer and she taught us how to read Banks' behavior, how to train her and then trained us on how to work with her dominance and energy level. It takes lots of time and dedication, but so amazingly worth it.

    Where are you located, we might be able to help you find a good trainer in your area.


    Banks was a 9 year training session and I miss her more each and every day.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. #12
    Bully Bootie Duty Florida girls's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stacey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie Kae, Lady
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default Re: My Bulldog is very destructive.

    Mia is still a baby, this is very typical behavior for puppies. I agree, she needs exercise and training. Marrow bones are awesome, as are natural elk antlers. I get the beef marrow bones from the grocery store..like soup bones I think they are called. I freeze them and Sadie loves to work on it for hours. Since they are raw meat, I blanche them before freezing to kill the bacteria or give to her outside. All that chewing wears her out and keeps her busy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •