Help needed , What would you look for when picking out a 2 week old Bulldog pup ?

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hi There need some info from everyone .
In a couple of weeks I will be going to pick out a 2 week old female pup from My breeder .
This is the first time I have ever had first pick of a litter , most of My Bulldogs were 8 weeks old or older when i have picked , 2 weeks is pretty early .
Any and all suggestions and wisdom appreciated .

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Looks, temperament, check for cherry eye, make sure it walks well. They sometimes pick you also

It has been a while since I have been around bulldog puppies at that age but they are usually moving around and playing some at that age if I remember correctly. My first bulldog had two litters and I could always pick out which would be my favorite from about the time they were born and some would come to you if you were in the room and even whine if they were crated

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
In any breed, ive always looked for the most active, instigator and the solid one.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi [MENTION=8958]natski282[/MENTION] At two weeks old, it will be harder to choose,as they are not even walking yet! First of all-check for the females! Sit on the floor,and put them in your lap-I think one will tap your heart,just a little bit more than the others! I think you will know which one is THE one! I do know that you are like me-and really would want them ALL-but there is usually that one SPECIAL,that you just know it!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=2]Choosing Your Puppy - The Selection Process[/h]
  • At first, observe the litter without disturbing them. Look out for things like how the pups interact with each other. An active, playful pup is very desirable, but not one that is dominant or overbearing with his/her litter-mates.
  • Do a general visual health check of each puppy. They should be nice and round - not fat, and certainly not skinny. Even Greyhounds and Whippets are round little beasts until they are about four months of age.
  • Look for a confident little pup who struts up to you and your family with head held high and tail wagging with excitement. A bit of a cheeky lick on the hand is also ok.
  • Have a close look at the pups eyes, ears, gums, teeth and rear end. You want to see bright eyes, a shiny and clean coat, and no sign of any discharge or debris.
    choosing-a-dog.jpg
  • Be wary of a shy and fearful pup when choosing a puppy. Pups at the 7-8 week stage shouldn't show any sign of these undesirable traits.Many people end up selecting a puppy such as this because they feel sorry for them. Don't fall into this trap - it is not a valid reason for picking out a puppy!. It's no good for anyone and you will most likely regret your decision for many years to come.
  • When you have identified one or two puppies that you like the look of, conduct a bit of a hearing test. With the puppy facing the other way or possibly playing with another member of your family drop a set of keys on the ground or stamp your feet.The puppy should react immediately, even be a little startled by the noise and then ideally he/she will come over to investigate the commotion. It's very difficult to pick a deaf puppy out of a litter, if the pups are all together in the same pen.
  • It's important that the puppy you end up choosing has energy levels which are compatible with you and your family's lifestyle. These energy levels will vary a great deal even in the one litter. After spending some time with the puppies you can make a judgment yourself, or the breeder will give you some insight.
  • Pick the puppy up, hug him and cradle him. This is a bit of a test, if he reacts by squealing and wriggling and doesn't settle down, this is not a good sign. You may experience problems with a puppy such as this. A little struggle is ok, followed by quickly settling down and peering back up at you.
  • Touch the puppies all over their bodies including paws, mouth and earsto monitor the reaction. A puppy who has been handled from an early age won't have any problem with you doing this.
  • Many pure bred dogs have breed specific ailments which can cause problems. Check the puppies parents and even grandparents for any sign of breed specific problems. Also check if the pups have been screened for them (if appropriate). This step can save you a whole lot of heartache in the future.
  • Many larger breeds such as German Shepherds, Labradors and Rottweilers can suffer from hip dysplasia. Check out the family history if you are searching for a puppy susceptible to hip dysplasia.
  • Check the Vet records of your puppy including vaccination and worming record.
  • Once you've made the big decision and have your heart set on a puppy it is advisable to have your Veterinarian do a thorough examination of the pup.

Choosing a puppy is an important step towards ensuring you end up with a healthy, well adjusted and happy long term companion.
Once you bring your puppy home it is then your responsibility to provide proper socialization and obedience training. This will shape the temperament and behavior habits of your puppy and set him up to thrive in society.
Good luck - I hope you find you and your

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Choosing Your Puppy - The Selection Process

• At first, observe the litter without disturbing them. Look out for things like how the pups interact with each other. An active, playful pup is very desirable, but not one that is dominant or overbearing with his/her litter-mates.
  • Do a general visual health check of each puppy. They should be nice and round - not fat, and certainly not skinny. Even Greyhounds and Whippets are round little beasts until they are about four months of age.
  • Look for a confident little pup who struts up to you and your family with head held high and tail wagging with excitement. A bit of a cheeky lick on the hand is also ok.
  • Have a close look at the pups eyes, ears, gums, teeth and rear end. You want to see bright eyes, a shiny and clean coat, and no sign of any discharge or debris.
    choosing-a-dog.jpg
  • Be wary of a shy and fearful pup when choosing a puppy. Pups at the 7-8 week stage shouldn't show any sign of these undesirable traits.Many people end up selecting a puppy such as this because they feel sorry for them. Don't fall into this trap - it is not a valid reason for picking out a puppy!. It's no good for anyone and you will most likely regret your decision for many years to come.
  • When you have identified one or two puppies that you like the look of, conduct a bit of a hearing test. With the puppy facing the other way or possibly playing with another member of your family drop a set of keys on the ground or stamp your feet.The puppy should react immediately, even be a little startled by the noise and then ideally he/she will come over to investigate the commotion. It's very difficult to pick a deaf puppy out of a litter, if the pups are all together in the same pen.
  • It's important that the puppy you end up choosing has energy levels which are compatible with you and your family's lifestyle. These energy levels will vary a great deal even in the one litter. After spending some time with the puppies you can make a judgment yourself, or the breeder will give you some insight.
  • Pick the puppy up, hug him and cradle him. This is a bit of a test, if he reacts by squealing and wriggling and doesn't settle down, this is not a good sign. You may experience problems with a puppy such as this. A little struggle is ok, followed by quickly settling down and peering back up at you.
  • Touch the puppies all over their bodies including paws, mouth and earsto monitor the reaction. A puppy who has been handled from an early age won't have any problem with you doing this.
  • Many pure bred dogs have breed specific ailments which can cause problems. Check the puppies parents and even grandparents for any sign of breed specific problems. Also check if the pups have been screened for them (if appropriate). This step can save you a whole lot of heartache in the future.
  • Many larger breeds such as German Shepherds, Labradors and Rottweilers can suffer from hip dysplasia. Check out the family history if you are searching for a puppy susceptible to hip dysplasia.
  • Check the Vet records of your puppy including vaccination and worming record.
  • Once you've made the big decision and have your heart set on a puppy it is advisable to have your Veterinarian do a thorough examination of the pup.

Choosing a puppy is an important step towards ensuring you end up with a healthy, well adjusted and happy long term companion.
Once you bring your puppy home it is then your responsibility to provide proper socialization and obedience training. This will shape the temperament and behavior habits of your puppy and set him up to thrive in society.
Good luck - I hope you find you and your

Wow excellent thanks Monica a lot of this i can not use as were picking at two weeks , but there is still a lot I can use , thanks very much for this

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Holy smokes... 2 weeks is early!!! When we picked out our babies they were at least 6 weeks old... we would put all the pups on the floor and watch how they interacted w/us. Were they friendly? Did they seem timid/shy or fearful? How were they around the kids? Did they play and interact w/each other? We usually go for the ones that seem friendly but not crazy, but I think that in some cases that back-fired on us :rofl: We also stressed that if our vet didn't give approval we would not keep that puppy, of course the vet did an initial check for any obvious health issues. I think that this is one of those times that your "gut" feelings come into play... if you seem drawn to a particular pup then that is the one meant for you and the family.

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Holy smokes... 2 weeks is early!!! When we picked out our babies they were at least 6 weeks old... we would put all the pups on the floor and watch how they interacted w/us. Were they friendly? Did they seem timid/shy or fearful? How were they around the kids? Did they play and interact w/each other? We usually go for the ones that seem friendly but not crazy, but I think that in some cases that back-fired on us :rofl: We also stressed that if our vet didn't give approval we would not keep that puppy, of course the vet did an initial check for any obvious health issues. I think that this is one of those times that your "gut" feelings come into play... if you seem drawn to a particular pup then that is the one meant for you and the family.

Were lucky with this one and Rosie ( same breeder ) we get a 2 or 3 year contract . with health assurance written in . My vet must inspect the pup and give yeah or nay. Breeder pays for all CKC registration I pay for spaying by a certain date. Brenda is a good friend as is My vet Anne. We keep in close contact re the dogs and as friends , I also know the breeder that supplied the stud Gus I remember him as a pup and he is gorgeous male Bully.
The reason it is so early is I have first pick of the litter and do not want to slow her sales of the rest of the litter, She had a litter born a couple weeks back and out of five only one survived and the last one is struggling . it was the last breeding of that bitch and will retire now was her third breeding . Rosie came from that bitch wonderful Bulldog .
I am starting to think of going later now will will talk to Brenda , thanks for your help bud

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Good luck Nat…if I were you, I'd take em all :havemyheart: Which ever one you pick will be perfect!! Do you have a name picked out or are you going to wait and see what her personality is like?

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Good luck Nat…if I were you, I'd take em all :havemyheart: Which ever one you pick will be perfect!! Do you have a name picked out or are you going to wait and see what her personality is like?

Well we picked a tentative name , final decision when we meet the pup

DRUM ROLL sound

Gertrude ( for the paper work CKC register ect ect or when I am mad at her ) We both really like " Gertie"
2nd runner up was Winifred and call her" Winnie "
3rd was Meg
Were still keeping a eye out for a name but The Prettyone and i like these names so far .

Ya I am with you but would end up on your couch sleeping lol

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well we picked a tentative name , final decision when we meet the pup

DRUM ROLL sound

Gertrude ( for the paper work CKC register ect ect or when I am mad at her ) We both really like " Gertie"
2nd runner up was Winifred and call her" Winnie "
3rd was Meg
Were still keeping a eye out for a name but The Prettyone and i like these names so far .

Ya I am with you but would end up on your couch sleeping lol
Oh my goodness, I LOVE "Gertie" and "Winnie" both equally! Can't wait.. I'm sure once you meet her you'll know exactly which one fits best :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would not know what to do at 2 weeks of age..... BEST of luck and share those pictures

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
You getting the pick of the litter at two weeks is the same as saying you get first pick as long as yer blindfolded and reach into this here bag-o-bulldogs and grab yerself one.
There's not much you can go by other than color and MAYBE their activity level. Manydogs mentioned sitting on the floor with them. That would be great if they were older but most breeders would want to limit outside exposure to puppies that young as their immune systems are are far from developed. IMO, allowing the 2 week old puppies to crawl all over you would be a mistake, putting the puppie's health at risk. Chunky said to look for Cherry eye, which is a good thing to look for but cherry eye cannot be detected at 2 weeks...perhaps not until 10-12 weeks. Then again, it could pop up at most any time, later on.

Show breeders typically do not begin to assess their puppies until 10 weeks or later as their physical characteristics cannot be determined before that.

If I were offered pick of the litter I'd want to wait for at least 4 weeks and, even better, 6...when there's actual benefit to having POTL. Telling you to pick at 2 weeks is simply unreasonable.
If the breeder still insists on 2 weeks then go for the girl with the love button. Hoping it's a girl.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.