Help needed , What would you look for when picking out a 2 week old Bulldog pup ?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Too bad they're not older pups. I can't think of anything more fun than to let a bunch of Bulldog puppies run roughshod all over me.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You getting the pick of the litter at two weeks is the same as saying you get first pick as long as yer blindfolded and reach into this here bag-o-bulldogs and grab yerself one.
There's not much you can go by other than color and MAYBE their activity level. Manydogs mentioned sitting on the floor with them. That would be great if they were older but most breeders would want to limit outside exposure to puppies that young as their immune systems are are far from developed. IMO, allowing the 2 week old puppies to crawl all over you would be a mistake, putting the puppie's health at risk. Chunky said to look for Cherry eye, which is a good thing to look for but cherry eye cannot be detected at 2 weeks...perhaps not until 10-12 weeks. Then again, it could pop up at most any time, later on.

Show breeders typically do not begin to assess their puppies until 10 weeks or later as their physical characteristics cannot be determined before that.

If I were offered pick of the litter I'd want to wait for at least 4 weeks and, even better, 6...when there's actual benefit to having POTL. Telling you to pick at 2 weeks is simply unreasonable.
If the breeder still insists on 2 weeks then go for the girl with the love button. Hoping it's a girl.

I was the one that mentioned the puppies climbing all over us, but once again that was at 6 weeks!!! I completely agree w/you, 2 weeks is a dangerously young age to have strangers handle these babies.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
So, when is the big day? And be sure to post a few more pics, please!

Staff online

Members online