Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed , What would you look for when picking out a 2 week old Bulldog pup ?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help needed , What would you look for when picking out a 2 week old Bulldog pup ?

I would not know what to do at 2 weeks of age..... BEST of luck and share those pictures
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help needed , What would you look for when picking out a 2 week old Bulldog pup ?

You getting the pick of the litter at two weeks is the same as saying you get first pick as long as yer blindfolded and reach into this here bag-o-bulldogs and grab yerself one.
    There's not much you can go by other than color and MAYBE their activity level. Manydogs mentioned sitting on the floor with them. That would be great if they were older but most breeders would want to limit outside exposure to puppies that young as their immune systems are are far from developed. IMO, allowing the 2 week old puppies to crawl all over you would be a mistake, putting the puppie's health at risk. Chunky said to look for Cherry eye, which is a good thing to look for but cherry eye cannot be detected at 2 weeks...perhaps not until 10-12 weeks. Then again, it could pop up at most any time, later on.

Show breeders typically do not begin to assess their puppies until 10 weeks or later as their physical characteristics cannot be determined before that.

If I were offered pick of the litter I'd want to wait for at least 4 weeks and, even better, 6...when there's actual benefit to having POTL. Telling you to pick at 2 weeks is simply unreasonable.
    If the breeder still insists on 2 weeks then go for the girl with the love button. Hoping it's a girl.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, I "misspoke"
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Too bad they're not older pups. I can't think of anything more fun than to let a bunch of Bulldog puppies run roughshod all over me.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    You getting the pick of the litter at two weeks is the same as saying you get first pick as long as yer blindfolded and reach into this here bag-o-bulldogs and grab yerself one.
    There's not much you can go by other than color and MAYBE their activity level. Manydogs mentioned sitting on the floor with them. That would be great if they were older but most breeders would want to limit outside exposure to puppies that young as their immune systems are are far from developed. IMO, allowing the 2 week old puppies to crawl all over you would be a mistake, putting the puppie's health at risk. Chunky said to look for Cherry eye, which is a good thing to look for but cherry eye cannot be detected at 2 weeks...perhaps not until 10-12 weeks. Then again, it could pop up at most any time, later on.

Show breeders typically do not begin to assess their puppies until 10 weeks or later as their physical characteristics cannot be determined before that.

If I were offered pick of the litter I'd want to wait for at least 4 weeks and, even better, 6...when there's actual benefit to having POTL. Telling you to pick at 2 weeks is simply unreasonable.
    If the breeder still insists on 2 weeks then go for the girl with the love button. Hoping it's a girl.
    I was the one that mentioned the puppies climbing all over us, but once again that was at 6 weeks!!! I completely agree w/you, 2 weeks is a dangerously young age to have strangers handle these babies.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So, when is the big day? And be sure to post a few more pics, please!

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads