Ears

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Just out of curiosity, attached is a puppy photo of Daphne and her sister and a recent photo of Daphne. Daphne still has the sticky outy ears. They have kept her sister to breed. They said because the sister is red. Are Daphne's ears a fault? I adore her and think she's the most perfect Bully ever because mothers are like that. I was just wondering, that's all.
21bbefe7753b9a85774bef02d5cd5d37.jpg
bfe35c289c69854cb005da7b2712799a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Cannot tell much from puppy pics and I'm certainly not a judge. But as I understand, flop ears are undesirable like on the red specimen...and the ears on Daphne are a bit low on the head. I don't see either as show winning bullies. I see two really cute bullies, especially Daphne. She's so dang cute I can't stand it.
Then again, the bully that won best of breed at Westminster this year I thought was a very poor representation of the breed. I was disappointed. But some judge, that knows confirmation a lot more that I do, felt differently.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Cannot tell much from puppy pics and I'm certainly not a judge. But as I understand, flop ears are undesirable like on the red specimen...and the ears on Daphne are a bit low on the head. I don't see either as show winning bullies. I see two really cute bullies, especially Daphne. She's so dang cute I can't stand it.
Then again, the bully that won best of breed at Westminster this year I thought was a very poor representation of the breed. I was disappointed. But some judge, that knows confirmation a lot more that I do, felt differently.

Thanks for your input. I'm a bully novice so I figure if I don't ask I'll never learn.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Again, I'm no expert. I think some here will likely have better informed opinions that I.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Bass' Dad was a show dog and I read up on it when he was a puppy - in case I ever decided to show him…I believe RoseBud ears are the "desired" look? But that was years back…I don't know if standards have changed. RiiSi knows a good amount of info for show dogs…are you thinking of showing?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, her ears look perfect to me….she's too adorable for words!!

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Bass' Dad was a show dog and I read up on it when he was a puppy - in case I ever decided to show him…I believe RoseBud ears are the "desired" look? But that was years back…I don't know if standards have changed. RiiSi knows a good amount of info for show dogs…are you thinking of showing?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, her ears look perfect to me….she's too adorable for words!!

No, not thinking of showing, just trying to understand the different ear types. I didn't know if Daphne's big ears are what made the breeder keep her sister rather than her. She did say the red color was more desirable for her.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
No, not thinking of showing, just trying to understand the different ear types. I didn't know if Daphne's big ears are what made the breeder keep her sister rather than her. She did say the red color was more desirable for her.

Probably the color…this was from an article posted on the Home page by Bullmama in 2011...

"According to the breed standard set forth by the BCA, here is what is stated:

"Color of Coat -- The color of coat should be uniform, pure of its kind and brilliant.
The various colors found in the breed are to be preferred in the following order:"

• 1. red brindle
  • 2. all other brindles
  • 3. solid white
  • 4. solid red, fawn or fallow
  • 5. piebald
  • 6. inferior qualities of all the foregoing.

However, you should not let this particular standard of color deter you from starting your bulldog in dog shows/conformation.
There are many champions that are not red brindle
:)
If you and your bully have what it takes, go for it!"

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They are still young yet, and the ears will change as they grow. The red bully's ears are undesirable at the moment, and may rose back, but not likely. Your bully's ears are rosing back some and should continue to get better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I love floppy ears [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177]... i know not the Bulldog standard for showing, but so damn cute [emoji7][emoji7]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Daphne is perfect!! I think her ears are so cute! The more the air gets to them-the less ear infections!!!:smoochwink: Cheers for ears!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
skeeterbaby.JPG [MENTION=16690]Daphne DuMaurier[/MENTION] Now THESE are EARS!!!!:D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Your puppys ears are better than the ones that the breeder kept. I have to say that as a breeder I would choose rose ears over colour any day. She cn always glue them, but that doesn't mean she won't pass the trait on to her pups. Anyway they're very young and it's very hard to tell how they develope.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Your puppys ears are better than the ones that the breeder kept. I have to say that as a breeder I would choose rose ears over colour any day. She cn always glue them, but that doesn't mean she won't pass the trait on to her pups. Anyway they're very young and it's very hard to tell how they develope.

Thank you. Time will tell.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.