2nd Bully... Boy or Girl?

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Hi All... I'm looking to get a second bully and I'd like to know if I should go with a boy or girl. I have a 3 year old bully boy named Gunner and we really want a buddy for him. I'd love to hear experiences from others that have more than one. The breeder we are looking at currently only has female puppies. I personally never had a female dog before. I'm wondering if having a boy and adding a girl is a smart choice. Does gender even matter? Can't wait to hear your experiences. Many thanks!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, this topic has been covered before and everyone has different opinions and experiences. I have two 5 year old EBs, they are siblings and litter mates so have been together since birth. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Some members have two males or two females and have had no problems. Some people believe that two females can show jealousy towards each other, and two males can be aggressive to each other. I don't have any experience with having two of the same sex so can't share any experience there. Other people have had good experiences with the same sex with no problems. I think a lot of it depends on the personality of the dogs, and how well the first dog you have has been socialized with other dogs before getting the second dog. Having said that you never know how your dog will react to a new fur sibling, so an introduction of the two dogs should be done in a neutral setting before bringing the second dog into your house to see how they react and interact with each other. A new puppy will most likely adapt with your dog, because he will grow up with your dog, but your dog may or may not accept the new puppy, it all depends on his personality. He could be jealous or aggressive towards the new puppy, or he may totally accept him and they could be best buddies. I hope you find the right fit. Please keep us posted.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Get a cat! had to say it :p

I have one cause I don't have time for 2. But that's me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there. We just had a same topic just not too long ago. All sorts of opinions for sure. If you can afford it, go for it. But here's what everyone had to say. And im sure you'll get more inputs in your thread so hang on. Oh and I always had male dogs. Nyala is my first female. Very different!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/members-only-board/53692-baby-buddy-play.html#post690297

:up: That thread is full of great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I am partial too a female less testosterone issues with 2 males in your case, I have 1 male and 3 females , will be picking up another female in April/May .

ndlv68

Dec 4, 2016
Arkansas
Country
'Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
I've never had an issue with all the combinations. Every dog has their particular personality, so I think good training and a good introduction is important. Additionally, ALL our kids have been spayed/neutered, however I do not know if this has as much to do with everyone getting along as training does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I think it all depends on the personality of the individual dogs. My male Ruckus was 2.5 years when I got a female bulldog puppy Regina. They are the best of friends and I can honestly say they never fight. Ruckus is chill and let's her be the boss, so if she wants a toy that he has he always just gives it up and hey don't fight over food maybe because they know I'll always give them each the treat or dinner or whatever it is. Regina is definitely s bit more high strung and I don't know that she would do well living with a jealous or bossy dog. I also think that when you introduce a puppy into the mix, the existing situation molds the new puppy a bit, so if you teach it the pecking order early things go smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online