Chin acne and bald spots

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
My 1.5 years old EB Apollo has chin acne and some bald spots which I hope to show below. How do I get rid of the acne on his chin? He's never had these before and not sure if he has them BC he's started going to daycare. We use the medicated (Malacetic) wipes but he hates them. Any other recommendations? Also, he occasionally gets hives/bumps when allergic to something. This last time once the bumps got smaller we noticed that he started losing the hair on the areas with the bumps AND it looks black underneath. What is this? He's never really had the black spots....balding yes, after the hives/bumps got smaller but not blackish skin.
539613a235a75f7ab5070edd52a3d8a4.jpg
a2e9da0ba7dd099d779199bb16c0c7b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BertandErnie

Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert and Ernie
my guys suffer from this as well. I don't have definite answers for the cause but from my research I've learned that it tends to just happen to most EB at some point in their lives. I've read that using a metal bowl for their food and water is really helpful and I clean their faces every morning with a clean sock. The bald spots I believe are hot spots and those usually occur from a multitude of things just like the chin spots. Mine tend to get it around the winter time when the air is changing a lot. I use tea tree ointment on them and it seems to help moisturize and heal. I hope this helped!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The day care facility is, perhaps, dispensing water in plastic bowls. Request that they use Stainless only. That may or may not work. That may or may not be the problem.
The day care facility may not be providing clean water on a regular basis. Investigate.
Keep baby wipes handy and wipe his chin down regularly.
The black spots look like his black skin is showing through his missing coat. he likely has a skin infection going on. A trip to the Vet may be in order to get oral meds(like Cephalexin) or a topical Mousse (like Douxo) or both to address his issue.
To save $ and a trip to the Vet, you can buy the Douxo Mousse online(I get it through Amazon) and give that a try first for a couple of weeks before escalating this to a Vet visit. Keep us posted how things work out, please.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
my guys suffer from this as well. I don't have definite answers for the cause but from my research I've learned that it tends to just happen to most EB at some point in their lives. I've read that using a metal bowl for their food and water is really helpful and I clean their faces every morning with a clean sock. The bald spots I believe are hot spots and those usually occur from a multitude of things just like the chin spots. Mine tend to get it around the winter time when the air is changing a lot. I use tea tree ointment on them and it seems to help moisturize and heal. I hope this helped!

Careful with tea tree. I do and know a lot in essential oils for myself and for my pets. Tea Tree is extremely powerful. Has to be mixed properly with carrier oils. Tea tree goes also under Melealuca oil. Let me find something hang on.......:detective2::hmm::computer:

What You Should Know About Tea Tree Oil Toxicity in Dogs and Cats

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Agree w/Chip! The chin bleed is most likely from the water bowl and not being wiped after drinking…stainless bowl, agree completely! The side looks like it cold be flank alopecia and would be best to get a vet check on it.

Try Neosporin on the chin for a few days, then keep it "guarded" from letting moisture in (vaseline barrier/A&D) until it is healed. Ask that his chin be wiped after drinking at daycare until it heals.

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Agree w/Chip! The chin bleed is most likely from the water bowl and not being wiped after drinking…stainless bowl, agree completely! The side looks like it cold be flank alopecia and would be best to get a vet check on it.

Try Neosporin on the chin for a few days, then keep it "guarded" from letting moisture in (vaseline barrier/A&D) until it is healed. Ask that his chin be wiped after drinking at daycare until it heals.
Thank you NewEnglandBully for the tips. He does have stainless steel bowls at home. We have been putting Neosporin on it but will ask his daycare to wipe his chin as well. Concerned about the bald spots/skin and will try the Duoxone shampoo/mousse to see of it will clear it up.

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
The day care facility is, perhaps, dispensing water in plastic bowls. Request that they use Stainless only. That may or may not work. That may or may not be the problem.
The day care facility may not be providing clean water on a regular basis. Investigate.
Keep baby wipes handy and wipe his chin down regularly.
The black spots look like his black skin is showing through his missing coat. he likely has a skin infection going on. A trip to the Vet may be in order to get oral meds(like Cephalexin) or a topical Mousse (like Douxo) or both to address his issue.
To save $ and a trip to the Vet, you can buy the Douxo Mousse online(I get it through Amazon) and give that a try first for a couple of weeks before escalating this to a Vet visit. Keep us posted how things work out, please.
Thanks so much for the advice oscarmayer! We will be trying the douxone mousse and shampoo on him first.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thank you NewEnglandBully for the tips. He does have stainless steel bowls at home. We have been putting Neosporin on it but will ask his daycare to wipe his chin as well. Concerned about the bald spots/skin and will try the Duoxone shampoo/mousse to see of it will clear it up.

How does Apollo do w/other dogs btw? A new dog park opened up in my neighborhood and once the weather is "bulldog ideal" I am hoping to take the Bass…He is not "fixed" however, so I'm apprehensive about letting him go leash-free around other dogs. He can seem intimidating for other dogs but not in an aggressive way, by any means…just pesky and super curious. He has yet to play w/a bully :( There aren't too many around here.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks so much for the advice oscarmayer! We will be trying the douxone mousse and shampoo on him first.

Also, add a vitamin D pill once a day to his food.... this was happening to Lambeau (the fur missing)... I added the vitamin D and it slowly went away

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
How does Apollo do w/other dogs btw? A new dog park opened up in my neighborhood and once the weather is "bulldog ideal" I am hoping to take the Bass…He is not "fixed" however, so I'm apprehensive about letting him go leash-free around other dogs. He can seem intimidating for other dogs but not in an aggressive way, by any means…just pesky and super curious. He has yet to play w/a bully :( There aren't too many around here.
Apollo LOVES other dogs and people so very much! Sometimes too much! I would say that other dogs usually don't care too much for him and some are the aggressors. He's totally cool and likes to play but there are dogs who will immediately not like him and bare their teeth, growl or bark at him and all he wants to do is say hi, sniff and play. He has been around a few bullies but none have cared for him. Both males and females but a lot older than him. He has a lot of energy and loves to play so it's sad when others don't want to play with him. His daycare says he loves a couple of dogs in particular and that he loves being outside. They have never said he doesn't get along or other dogs don't like to play with him.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Apollo LOVES other dogs and people so very much! Sometimes too much! I would say that other dogs usually don't care too much for him and some are the aggressors. He's totally cool and likes to play but there are dogs who will immediately not like him and bare their teeth, growl or bark at him and all he wants to do is say hi, sniff and play. He has been around a few bullies but none have cared for him. Both males and females but a lot older than him. He has a lot of energy and loves to play so it's sad when others don't want to play with him. His daycare says he loves a couple of dogs in particular and that he loves being outside. They have never said he doesn't get along or other dogs don't like to play with him.

Sounds a lot like my boy, especially when he was still in puppy mode…he is slowly transitioning now that he is 3.4 years. A friend of mine recommended an indoor dog park in Woburn that looked awesome for Winter Time play….but I believe it is now closed :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.