Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Hello! We have a (almost) 2 year old male bulldog. He is awesome and we adore him. We both work full time, Monday - Friday jobs. While we are at work he lazes in the same spot on the couch for 9 hours. We are mostly home with him all evening and as long as it's not too cold or too hot he goes for a walk. Lately he hasn't been sleeping well at night, he's just not tired I don't think. He's up and down and wants to play. We have looked into daycare just once a week to try and get rid of some of his energy. I'm just nervous though, we went and visited for 1/2 hr - he got along with most of the dogs but it took me our whole 15 minute drive home to cool him down, he was panting so hard and threw up all the water he drank while playing. I'm worried that it will be too much for him. The owner of the daycare does have other Bulldogs that come in often. Any experiences? Is this a good idea or no?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hi there, I don't have any experience with the day care BUT have you considered a dog walker? I travel for work and Joey stays with my sister when I am gone BUT while she is at work I have a sitter/walker come to see Joey. Joey is the SAME way, she has run of the house but will stay and sleep in the same chair all day if you let her HAHAHA

Maybe dog walker will work for you?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
If you opt for Day Care you must make sure that the attendants are aware of his breathing/body temp. He cannot tolerate what other dogs can because he's a Bulldog. Many Bulldogs do NOT have an off switch and will go until they drop. Doggie Day care will wear him down but it could be too much for him. I'm guessing he threw up the water because it was simply too much for him to hold being as winded as you describe.

Has Diesel been evaluated for elongated soft palate?

sisters3 has made a good suggestion with using a dog walker.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had worked at a doggie daycare for 4 years.... Bulldogs do not always do well... some as Chip stated, just do not have an off switch and if the employees are not keen on this he could easily over heat. I would look into a dog walker as Sue suggested.. probably the same cost and not added stress to how he is being cared for during the time

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
I think dog walkers are a great idea if at daycare they are not supervised properly. My 1.5 year old EB goes to a daycare where his Vet is and they LOVE him there. He has a heart murmur which they are aware of and put him in their "treatment" side of daycare and away from the "general population". I love it BC he's also with the staff dogs and they all tend to watch, play and hang with him. He's so very active and at another daycare he was all over the place and came home exhausted and smelly. I was very worried that he was getting too worked up. If we didn't have this daycare treatment option we would probably hire a dog walker. Husband and I both work FT during the week and leaving him all alone for hours on end was breaking my heart.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When my son comes over with his 2 pitbulls, like mentioned above there is no on off switch for most dogs. Nyala goes on non stop which I have to go out and do a "timeout" for her. She can do 3 hours of playing but shes been like this since a pup. She's use to it. She burns out her cousins and she's still going. Nothing is wrong with doggie daycare just the humans that works there need to be educated on EB or/and any dog. You need to talk to them. Ask them tons of questions. Dogs get a better workout with other dogs than us humans. We cannot play or do stuff with them all day long as we want to do other things. Check other daycares. Your dog sleeps all day so it would be normal he's out of shape. Start by walking everyday.....mornings n evenings even if its cold, put a jacket on and just go around one block. A block is better than nothing. Maybe that daycare should give him a break every 10 mins so he builds up his energy. Yes they will pant for sure but them little 10 min breaks helps a lot and puts your dog back in shape. Or get a dog walker that can walk 3x a day.

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I'm happy to say we went and checked out another daycare and are much happier this time around. The staff is highly educated and understand his breed and needs. Part of their philosophy is promoting rest time as well! He does go for daily walks when we get home, he just has so much energy all the time! He has had his soft palate resected already also! We are so happy with this daycare and can't wait to start taking him!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm happy to say we went and checked out another daycare and are much happier this time around. The staff is highly educated and understand his breed and needs. Part of their philosophy is promoting rest time as well! He does go for daily walks when we get home, he just has so much energy all the time! He has had his soft palate resected already also! We are so happy with this daycare and can't wait to start taking him!

Well there you go. Highly educated, understand the breed and rest time is a very good start ! Lol keep us posted! Im curious now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online