How do we get this sweet face to stop biting! Ouch......

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
IMG_4077.JPG

Bella has started biting (and I mean hard). She'll grab a hold of a finger, an arm or anything else that's within mouth reach and not let go. Lol.....
Her teeth are like razors..��
We tell her no and try not to make whatever she is biting be out of her reach but she will just try to bite something (anything) else that's in reach. I believe she is playing but way too rough.
We also try to give her a favorite toy. That seems to work temporarily.
She such a sweetie when just first wakes up or when is tired and ready for a nap.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I raise my voice with a firm NO, NO BITE! GO! And then push her away. She looks at me :aaargh: goes in her corner of the sofa lol. Works for me.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I found screaming like it really hurt worked the best. Redirect with a food or toy would only go so far. After he let go or I was in a position to leave I would gate him in the room and take away his favorite toy (me). Other puppies do the same with bitey dogs. They will yelp and won't play with the puppy. So puppy socialization may help.

The bitter apple spray also worked for clothes and jalapeño hot sauce for the walls.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always had a nylabone handy,and when the "shark" came out, I would say "NO bite,here bite this!" and stick the nylabone in the mouth! It is a normal thing for them,when they h ave their baby teeth. Be as persistant aS they are so the pup learns that biting you is not allowed. Some mama's give theirs a big raw beef bone to chew on! Lucky for me, mine had each other,and the older dogs helped to teach.too!

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Thank you all for your advice. We will keep tryingand be persistent with the training.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Very good advice given!! We had the same trouble with Ellie, I was shark bait, she had a thing for pant legs - HAHAHAHA!! What we learned from Puppy Kindergarten (which if you can find a class it is the best investment, did AMAZING things for Ellie and Mommy and Daddy) was 1st time - Redirect with toy, 2nd time - Take away (which would be us walking away), and the 3rd time, she was put in a time out without any toys till she chilled out, and this was done with an x-pen, we plopped her in there, and walked away for a bit, she got the hint pretty quick, and we only went back when she was nice and calm, I felt like a MEAN mommy for a little bit, but Ellie learned quick....Good Luck!! Hang in there, I THOUGHT I would NEVER get though the "SHARK" phase, YOU and BELLA GOT THIS!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also did the loud OUCH... one thing that helped us was the Nylabone keys... i put them in the freezer for awhile and give them cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I found screaming like it really hurt worked the best. Redirect with a food or toy would only go so far. After he let go or I was in a position to leave I would gate him in the room and take away his favorite toy (me). Other puppies do the same with bitey dogs. They will yelp and won't play with the puppy. So puppy socialization may help.

The bitter apple spray also worked for clothes and jalapeño hot sauce for the walls.
Maybe I should rephrase it lol.... I raise my voice but I never yell. I'm not a big fan on yelling.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions