Thread: Air licking

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Default Air licking

Hello everyone. I haven't posted on here in years but I am in need for advice. My 4 year old English Bulldog Ham has been licking the air for hours at a time. He has been doing this for about 2 years. We've been to the vet multiple times trying to figure out a solution. His tail and mouth are all clear. His blood work is good and we have ruled out seizures. I am in the process of slowly changing his food to a low fat diet and trying some Zantac thinking it could maybe be reflux. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and found a solution.

Thanks!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Air licking

Hi there!

It usually is an itch they can't reach or an upset belly --- Lambeau does this a lot too and I distract him with a treat and wipe his bum or scratch his back--- seems to stop it every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

3. Likes Davidh liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Monty does this a lot, after I put drops in his eyes, clean his wrinkles etc. Sometimes it is for no reason that I can see but it is usually after I do something to him. It can be hard to get him to stop once he gets going.

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Nyala does it while sitting straight on her bum. It's her tail pocket. I clean it every 2 days now and keeps the itch at bay.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

It doesn't seem to be an itch. My other bulldog does lick also when she has an itch but will rock back and forth or seem to be uncomfortable. Ham will do it just laying there and it's literally for hours at a time and all day every day. The vet has checked his tail and his anal glands. My first thought was an anxiety or OCD thing but I haven't figured out a way to help.

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

One of mine started doing that,after being anesthetized for entropion surgery/nare surgery. It drives me nuts(no,Roger!) Sometimes she does it longer than others. I try to distract her with a toy,or a little bit of food. Personally, I think it is a type of seizure. Not like when they have an itch.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N
    Likes (Received)

Hello there. Punk does this too. At first I thought she was having a seizure. Then I realized it was her tail pocket. I clean hers everyday because her tail is a tight screw and in deep to her pocket. Does Daisy do this while sitting on something. Punk does - it is her way of expressing her anal glands ON MY SHOES !

13. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I know a member a few years ago had a bully that did the same nonstop. They checked tail pocket, glands, etc. Ended up changing food, and it went away. Whatever you are feeding be sure its grain free, chicken free, and at least 4 stars on the ratings. Pepcid (famodine) can help too... if its acid reflux. 10mg. Just the plain kind, its the only one safe to give. This is if you've ruled out the other issues.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

15. Likes oscarmayer, 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I 2nd the acid reflux

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for this suggestion. I was told zertec is okay and started that 2 days ago. Wonder if I supild switch to pepcid? He's been eating Wellness grain free salmon and potatoes but I am in the process of switching him over to Solid Gold because the fat content is very low and I read that helps wit refux. Fingers crossed it all helps!

19. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachsidebully View Post
    Thank you for this suggestion. I was told zertec is okay and started that 2 days ago. Wonder if I supild switch to pepcid? He's been eating Wellness grain free salmon and potatoes but I am in the process of switching him over to Solid Gold because the fat content is very low and I read that helps wit refux. Fingers crossed it all helps!

Speaking of solid Gold I just took Hank to the shop where the 'creator' of Solid Gold foods runs her business. She's been there since 1978 (I think) and is still passionate about her foods..I first went there about that year as, since I was eating healthy, I wanted my dog to too. It was so exciting back then to have her in our area... ANYWAY,,, we just went there because she also has a "do it yourself dog wash".... I was told the lady (owner) likes to come and check how yur doing with the bathing, but............... She came right in the room and talked from start to finish.... all about how she started with her foods.... Very Neat lady, she worked hard for this food, and BOY can she chat lol.... Anyway, just a little humanInterest story She also said the people from Honest Kitchen used to work (either) for or with her... kinda cool

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachsidebully View Post
    Zertec is an allergy med? Pepcid is for acid reflux, did you maybe mean Zantac? If so yes safe as well, just stick with the basic kind, low dose. Don't go for anything that has "extras" "advanced" etc. Just plain Jane Zantac
    Potatoes caused my Tyson to break out, wonder if it could be causing some of the problem? Does the Solid Gold contain any? I'm praying and hoping that the food change does the trick, please do keep us posted! Fingers & paws crossed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

22. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads