Buying and shipping

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Hey guys can anyone explain how buying a puppy from out of state works. My husband got scammed before we bought zeus. Im just nervous and I thought paying through PayPal will protect me but apparently I have to mail a check. This is so complicated but we are ready for another puppy. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have bought pups out of state, but we always would drive there (or one instance they came here) to exchange the pup. I would do extensive checks online to see if the place actually exists and find out if they have a bad reputation. I'm going to tag some members that may have more info to share w/you...

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
I bought my American bulldog from Alabama had her shipped on a plane. Did a lot of checking sent a certified check and all was well picked her up at the airport a few days later.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Drive!!! :trainride: no way I would give any $3000 and up to anyone I haven't met!

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Yeah. I am extremely nervous about it she said I make a down payment and pay the rest for the puppy travelers. I honestly was more worried about the puppy being around other dogs or in a place where other dogs have been specially since it won't have all the shots needed to protect the pup from parvo. I've heard of a lot of people who say they bought their dog from far and it was flown to them. Anyway their is no way for me to drive out there it's far. I guess I'll keep looking in my area

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah. I am extremely nervous about it she said I make a down payment and pay the rest for the puppy travelers. I honestly was more worried about the puppy being around other dogs or in a place where other dogs have been specially since it won't have all the shots needed to protect the pup from parvo. I've heard of a lot of people who say they bought their dog from far and it was flown to them. Anyway their is no way for me to drive out there it's far. I guess I'll keep looking in my area

Bulldogs and planes dont really go well together. A lot of companies will not fly EB cause of their breathing issues. Why dont you ask in here what reputable breeder in your area. They can guide you im sure. Hang on let me tag. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=9218] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=3109]bullymama[/MENTION]

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I have never bought a pup from out of State. From the auditor world, one should do their due diligence. What did we contract for, what did we get, and how much did we pay for it. You are not the only ones that has been scammed before and you will not be the last.

I would check the AKC website for breeders of bulldogs and as many as there are in California, one could drive to make sure there are the goods as [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] mentioned above. In essence, buyer beware!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Before I bought mine, I asked who their veterinarian was, and his phone number. I spoke directly to him on the phone, and asked about other litters they had, and how the health of their pups was. I met them half way.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I went 3x to visit before buying. I never called I just went. Best way to see what kind of place it is if you just go. Like that if it's shady they wont know ahead of time you are coming. Just say you were in the neigbourhood. Wear a red sweater like Mr Rogers. lol im just kidding had to say it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I live in Finland and last spring I bought a puppy from Germany. I was in contact with the breeder about an upcoming litter, that he advertised on his website, for about 10 months before it was born. In his webpage I saw his previous litters and in Facebook there was always a lot of pics of the pups and the owners of the previous litters had send him the pics of their dogs as well. He was very open about his bullies and breeding plans and he had a lot of reputable european breeders as friends. I have to say that I would never buy a puppy from someone who doesn't have a webpage and who doesn't have any connection to other bulldog breeders. Could be different in the US. I would also look for a breeder who is a member of the bulldog club and has some interest on the breed itself and where it's going. I would also like to see some health tests and DNA tests, other than for colour, done.
I flew to Berlin and the breeder brought the pup to the airport. He was 9 weeks old and I could take him in to the cabin with me. I would not fly a puppy in cargo.

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Thanks for all the feed back. I think I'll just wait and keep looking in my area. The company she sends the pups will drive not fly but I feel like with a young puppy being somewhere that has had a lot of dogs in it isn't safe and I don't want to put the puppy at risk of getting parvo or anything else. Plus that would rack up the cost even more to treat the puppy if he was to get parvo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the feed back. I think I'll just wait and keep looking in my area. The company she sends the pups will drive not fly but I feel like with a young puppy being somewhere that has had a lot of dogs in it isn't safe and I don't want to put the puppy at risk of getting parvo or anything else. Plus that would rack up the cost even more to treat the puppy if he was to get parvo.

If you can't drive there on your own.. I'd look for you that you can

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Are you talking about buying a pup from a dealer? For me that already would be big NO. That's just business from the breeders and the dealers point of view. Dealers are just agents for puppy farms.

Here's some advice from the UK Kennel club.

Where NOT to buy a dog - Puppy farms, puppy dealers and pet shops

In the states it's just probably ten fold.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Bought Bifi from Holland. Also have to put a downpayment but we drove a total of 11 hours to bring him home. It's exciting and also nerve wracking looking for a good breeder. I wish you and your family best of luck. May you find a reputable breeder near you so you can get to visit the pup as he grows.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.