female dogs

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
ok so before spike and sparkles i had NEVER owned a dog.... i think i read on here somewhere about female dogs going into "heat" and bleeding... so today sparkles has turned 6 months!!!! when does this heat and bleeding stuff start?!!! b/c right about now i'm freaking out. i hope i don't sound stupid asking but really i have no earthly idea what to expect. :confused:

please help!!!!!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I really dont know exactlly when does it start, but Mocha was schedule to get spayed and (at 7 months) and she got her first heat cycle:eek:She also got so very sick(almost died on me) because the amount of fluid retention in her uterus. The vet thought for sure it was pyometra.:*(she was at the Vets for 2 days hooked to IVs,they did blood chemistry diagnostics,cbc,pancreatitis tests and so on. I could have prevented all this had I scheduled her surgery sooner. I highly recomend that you get her spayed as soon as posible. it is not worth the risk of something happenning to your baby.It costed us so much money when this happend to Mocha and I could have prevented it with only 250.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It can start as early as 6 months! Or even later. It's just like a human female. No real age..just approximates.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
There first heat is usally around 7 months then after that about every 6 months.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It really does vary per dog. Molly had her first heat at 8 months. Jesse was almost a year. Yuna was a year and a month! It really can range from 6 months and up. If you plan on getting her spayed, the sooner the better.

On the 'average' I would say the first heat comes around 9 months, and comes every 6 mos.

Just like in humans, it can vary from age 10 to even in your 20's! (as libra926 already stated).

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie came into heat at about 9 months, and then again a year later. She has now been spayed .. it was something we always intended to do but various health problems we had with her, just kept it being delayed more than I would have liked.

If you don't intend to breed Sparkles, then please get her spayed as soon as you can.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.