Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If all goes well, I will be getting an EB puppy hopefully in May/June. I have a male French Bulldog who will be 4 in April. He is the biggest lovebug and cuddlebug ever. So I was originally thinking I wanted a male EB because I want another affectionate dog and I have heard that some females aren't as affectionate as males. But I know that having 2 males can sometimes be a problem with them fighting over who is alpha and I see a lot of male/female combos.

Anyone have 2 males that just do not get along at all? If a male puppy is not available, I would definitely take a female but wanted some thoughts on what combo people think is best.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am guessing that most members here would say Male/female. They will chime in soon!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I have a 8 yr male english bulldog and a 2 yr male boxer. For the most part they get along great, although the boxer has much more energy, but every once in awhile the boxer tries to be boss and starts a fight. When that happens we just enforce the nothing in life is free and put him in his place. In the past we have had 2 males and a female and they all got along wonderfully, the female was not as goofy as the males nor as affectionate but she did rule the roost!! She was queen bee until she passed a little over a year and half ago.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
If I could get another one I would get another female. I don't buy in to the whole males are more affectionate one bit as my Harlea follows me room to room and always has to be as close to me as she can possibly be up to and including being in my lap as much as possible.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Personally I have always had all females. I have only had three males, two of whom were rescues.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It really on depends on you as a strong leader... the pups will be who they are but it will come down to how you can train and continue that through their lives. ensuring they know you are alpha

I have had male/female mostly, but now have male/male. Cheli is the alpha and Lambeau is more submissive, but we keep Cheli inline with 'nothing in life is free'. What is interesting is we did not know Cheli was dominate until after Banks passed, she was very dominate and Cheli never challenged her.. he accepted her as alpha from day one. We had about 2 weeks of Cheli not wanting anything to do with Lambeau when we first brought him home, but now they are best buds and follow each other all over and play very well together. However, we are constantly reminding them that we are alpha and they do pretty well together because of it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have had 2 females and they got along fantastic... but my Roxie girl was extremely docile, Bella was TYPE A and it worked. Now I have a male/female, and there have been some issues. Both are loving, but in their own way...

I'm kinda leaning towards temperament of the dog, which is always hard to tell when you first bring them home... Lol

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Decisions, decisions. Jax (the Frenchie) goes to daycare and has never had any aggression problems there. He has always played with my brother's dogs (male and a female) and never had any problems with them either. I have never seen him get aggressive with any dog other than a 3 month old EB puppy we puppysat in October. Jax hated him but I think it was more of the puppy play he hated. Little Henry would not leave him alone and kept biting his legs and jowls. Jax wanted nothing to do with him and snapped at him a couple of times which didn't worry me as I took it as Jax was telling him "enough." Jax generally prefers bigger dogs to small ones so once the EB gets bigger then him, I am sure he will have the time of his life.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Of the 13 I've had, overall the females were more cranky than the males. Male/male got along better than female/female...but not by much. It's really hard to say how it will play out but as Christine noted, you must let them know who's boss from day one.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
No question for Me and from experience get a female , mine have all been female and have had anything but affectionate dogs. 2 males never again in My house .

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I agree with Tracey, a lot of it probably depends on the temperment of the dog. We got Dozer at 7 mos and the breeder had a great idea what his personality was like.

Most Reactions