is your bully afraid of EVERYTHING?

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I was playing fetch with Bella this evening and the Kong went into the dining room and knocked over a couple of folding chairs I have yet to put away. Granted, the noise was loud but it took a while for her to even go back into the room. Harley, our Yorkie, chased the Kong in there and Bella did not like giving it up. She got her courage back real quick when she saw Harley chase after it when it landed by the chairs again. Didn't want to give up her favorite toy

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Lisa. I want to say that Chester is like my Bentley. Bentley is very OCD and if anything is out of place, Bentley will bark at it until the item is gone or he accepts it. For items that he is afraid of, we go up and touch while Bentley is looking and then he will sniff and then it might be ok. So essentially, my Bentley is like your Chester.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Hi Lisa. I want to say that Chester is like...
:yes: ...Uh...Lisa hasn't posted here since Sept 2011... :yes:

FWIW, my Dozer was exactly like your Bentley is.

Choptop

Nov 6, 2016
Small town Wi.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matty
Our previous bully, Harley, who we got at 7 months was scaredie dog, I guess part of her nature. Matty not so much, introduced her to the steers across the creek yesterday and she stared for a while, then ran about 15' away and when I told her "it was ok", she came back, but was a little leery, but they are BIG. lol Took her over to socialize w/ my brothers rather large Boston Terrier, Matty showed no fear at all and played well.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Hi Lisa. I want to say that Chester is like my Bentley. Bentley is very OCD and if anything is out of place, Bentley will bark at it until the item is gone or he accepts it. For items that he is afraid of, we go up and touch while Bentley is looking and then he will sniff and then it might be ok. So essentially, my Bentley is like your Chester.

Reggie is exactly the same! He barks his little *** off at anything new. I left the mop in the kitchen one night, big mistake!
He hates loud noises, bin bags, carrier bags, anything out of place, the vacuum cleaner.
Although we are taking the advice of a trainer and, wherever possible, let him have the thing he's barking at. So with the mop I laid it on the kitchen floor and ignored him. He barked at it for a few minutes and then went back and forth sniffing, then he walked away. He's OK with it now if he sees it regularly. Too long and we go through it all again.

But he is a nervous puppy. Walks are a nightmare because he hates traffic noise, double decker buses send him running straight back home so Kev has to pick him up & carry him :D

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Yep that is my Bentley except for the double-decker buses and carrying as I walk as far as I am willing to carry. Like you Bentley and Reggie are the same in many ways. Both are a work in progress. --rj

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Yep that is my Bentley except for the double-decker buses and carrying as I walk as far as I am willing to carry. Like you Bentley and Reggie are the same in many ways. Both are a work in progress. --rj

Sounds like they are very similar! Carrying him is going to be a nightmare, he'll be too heavy soon!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like they are very similar! Carrying him is going to be a nightmare, he'll be too heavy soon!

That is when it comes to Bulldogs...Only walk them as far as you want to carry them.

Bentley loaves loud noises and Jewel too to some degree.

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
I'm wondering how this ended up, if it ever got better. Our Maisie is the same way and it is breaking my heart and frustrating the crap out of me.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
I'm wondering how this ended up, if it ever got better. Our Maisie is the same way and it is breaking my heart and frustrating the crap out of me.

How old is Maisie? Reggie is only 20 weeks today so I'll keep you informed if we get any progress. Our trainer did advise us to let him have whatever it is he is afraid of - at least where thats possible. He is not so bothered about the vacuum cleaner any more, or the mop when I leave it in the kitchen.
The trainer said that if the dog can overcome the fear of something by himself then it sticks, when humans intervene too much we mess it up because we don't understand how they think.
He also advised that we search Youtube for noise desensitisation videos and play them quietly in the background during playtime, so thats the next step.

Traffic still a big issue, along with any 'surprise' noises, but hopefully the videos will help.
You are right [MENTION=4717]mcardle3[/MENTION] it is heartbreaking to see him so scared :(
Traffic still an issue, and I

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
She is 5. She was raised in a home, but our vet thinks she wasn' socialized outside of the home. Here is what is funny though. When we take her out to the pet store or to walk through Lowe's she is fine. Leash is on her and she is not frightened.

Bring her in the house and if something has moved from where it is she is busting through and around us to find a hiding spot. I have never seen this in my long years of dog ownership. I'm going to try the youtube thing. Thank you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is 5. She was raised in a home, but our vet thinks she wasn' socialized outside of the home. Here is what is funny though. When we take her out to the pet store or to walk through Lowe's she is fine. Leash is on her and she is not frightened.

Bring her in the house and if something has moved from where it is she is busting through and around us to find a hiding spot. I have never seen this in my long years of dog ownership. I'm going to try the youtube thing. Thank you.

Bulldog OCD... how long has she been with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
She has been with us for a month. I've raised bulldogs, fostered bulldogs and adopted bulldogs, but I'm just stymied as to why everything in this house freaks her out. When we were at the house we met her at (not her home) she seemed to do just fine.

Just this morning, she was so happy this morning. Eating her food like a champ, going outside like a champ, tail wagging, little butt wiggling...as soon as all that was accomplished she went looking for a place to hide (we had shut all the bedroom doors) so she is once again in her favorite bed, in her easiest spot in the living room...watching for horrid things to jump out and get her.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
She has been with us for a month. I've raised bulldogs, fostered bulldogs and adopted bulldogs, but I'm just stymied as to why everything in this house freaks her out. When we were at the house we met her at (not her home) she seemed to do just fine.

Just this morning, she was so happy this morning. Eating her food like a champ, going outside like a champ, tail wagging, little butt wiggling...as soon as all that was accomplished she went looking for a place to hide (we had shut all the bedroom doors) so she is once again in her favorite bed, in her easiest spot in the living room...watching for horrid things to jump out and get her.

Its cool that you can take her outside though. We have a hell of a time with Reggie. He is soooo scared of traffic he won't walk unless we both take him, and even then its a struggle :(

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Its cool that you can take her outside though. We have a hell of a time with Reggie. He is soooo scared of traffic he won't walk unless we both take him, and even then its a struggle :(

We live in the boonies. Only 12 houses on our road. Very rural. She isn't afraid of the outside unless an owl hoots or the wind blows hard in the trees. No bugs right now, wondering if that won't freak her out too :/

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.