Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Not sure I posted in the right section but my new puppy has been eating her poop.

I have never seen a dog that likes to eat as much as this dog. i feed her 1.5 cups of food sprinkled with some grilled chicken because that is what my other dogs get twice a day. i don't think the poop eating is because she is hungry as there is still food left scattered around her bowl.

Vet gave me some powder to put in food so that the poop taste bad, or at least worse than it does already, but that did not work.

She eats Eukanuba puppy & hills prescription ID low fat mixed together. She has had loose stool for a while so vet put her on the Hills.

She is 4 months old and my vet has the words written on the side of her file "fat Puppy".

Couple questions: Is it normal for a bulldog to poop while walking in a circle?

Poop like 3-5 piles at one backyard visit?

I have a 7 yr old blind Shar Pei (Glaucoma)
and a 14 yr old toy American Eskimo

Thanks for your help

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@AndyT Your pup is not eating very good food.Years ago Eukanuba was considered to be one of the best foods,as there wasn't much choice. Most EBD's need a grain free food,and probiotics. For now,you can give her a tablespoon of pure pumpkin in her food,to give her some more fiber. Not pumpkin pie mix,but plain canned pumpkin Check on the HOME page---Bulldog food and nutrition

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Lynn.... the food is not good and all filler and crap. Look into a high quality grain free food here are some good examples not in any particular order

Taste of the Wild
The Honest Kitchen
Fromm
Orijen
Acana
Earthborn Holistic
Natures Varity Instinct

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I have never seen a dog that likes to eat as much as this dog. i feed her 1.5 cups of food sprinkled with some grilled chicken because that is what my other dogs get twice a day. i don't think the poop eating is because she is hungry as there is still food left scattered around her bowl.
It should be easy to stop the poop eating by not giving your puppy the opportunity to eat it. Bag it as soon as she dispenses it. Try to avoid walking her near poop left by other dogs. When we first brought Kash in he gobbled up a stray nugget left by a neighbors dog. Once we saw him do it, we never let him get close to any. Problem solved.

Vet gave me some powder to put in food so that the poop taste bad, or at least worse than it does already, but that did not work.
Sometimes that stuff works and sometimes it doesn't.

She eats Eukanuba puppy & hills prescription ID low fat mixed together. She has had loose stool for a while so vet put her on the Hills.
She may have loose stool for any number of reasons but the first thing I'd do is get her on some quality grain free food. All, or close to all of Eukanuba dog foods contain chicken and either corn or wheat. Those ingredients should be avoided...especially the corn and wheat...soy, too. Grain free foods are the way to go. Many, many Bulldogs cannot tolerate Chicken. It's a popular food in less expensive foods because it's cheap. I would think that your Vet should have told you to feed better food instead of selling you more food to mix in with it. That Hills Scrip diet ain't cheap.

She is 4 months old and my vet has the words written on the side of her file "fat Puppy". Did he tell YOU that she was over weight? If so, did the Vet recommend a plan to help manage that weight? If not, I'd be looking for a different Vet. To just note something like that on a chart and not discuss it with the owner is nothing short of negligent.
I give puppies a pass on the "fat". Most puppies are fine with a little extra weight but as they mature Bulldog puppies can turn into real tubbies and that's not good for their overall health. Extra weight is hard on the joints and the heart...just for starters. Get her off the puppy food at 6 months and go to a low to moderate protein adult food. NO chicken, wheat, corn, or soy.

Couple questions: Is it normal for a bulldog to poop while walking in a circle? A couple of ours have done that. Walking and moving forward helps them pass poop...poop that is difficult to pass. Again, a food change may remedy this...or you may just have what we call a "poop walker".

Poop like 3-5 piles at one backyard visit? You're likely feeding too much.

I have a 7 yr old blind Shar Pei (Glaucoma)
and a 14 yr old toy American Eskimo
It sounds like you have a nice family there. Thanks for being a good Dad to your doggies. Do not expect a Bulldog to respond in the same way as the other dogs to equal stimulus. Bulldogs are quite different!

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Type of food has already been discussed. Three cups total a day is about right. I would feed her at least 3 times a day though. Depending on your work schedule you can do a late lunch or dinner. Amount and number of times are determined through poop consistency.

Also crate training could help solve indoor pooping issues as most dogs won't go potty where they sleep. As a puppy though she shouldn't be in there for long stretches without potty breaks.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Agree with Lynn.... the food is not good and all filler and crap. Look into a high quality grain free food here are some good examples not in any particular order

Taste of the Wild
The Honest Kitchen
Fromm
Orijen
Acana
Earthborn Holistic
Natures Varity Instinct

I feed my other dogs FROMM Chicken a la veg. I have tried everything from raw to EVERY dog food available & I threw away more food than my dogs ate. I am used to a Shar PEi that I would have to stick a piece of steak under her lip to get them to try a steak dinner. I resorted to grilling them on sunday 30-40lbs of chicken breast ( lasts 3-4 weeks) & freezing packs. I put that on top of fromm dry & add missing link or Daily + nutritional supplement. Pebbles eats like I have never seen.

I order from Chewy.com so I am open to all suggestions for Pebbles.

Please be specific although I realize this is partial subjective as each owner will passionate about their food.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
"should be easy to stop the poop eating by not giving your puppy the opportunity to eat it. Bag it as soon as she dispenses it. Try to avoid walking her near poop left by other dogs. When we first brought Kash in he gobbled up a stray nugget left by a neighbors dog. Once we saw him do it, we never let him get close to any. Problem solved.

Not that easy. SHe only eats her poop & we have a dog door. When I am in the shower at 6am she goes out to poop. I pick up poop every morning & evening but I am not there during the day. My wife is here but she cant watch all the time as we have a granddaughter & she does bookwork for our business.

did he tell YOU that she was over weight? If so, did the Vet recommend a plan to help manage that weight? If not, I'd be looking for a different Vet. To just note something like that on a chart and not discuss it with the owner is nothing short of negligent.
I give puppies a pass on the "fat". Most puppies are fine with a little extra weight but as they mature Bulldog puppies can turn into real tubbies and that's not good for their overall health. Extra weight is hard on the joints and the heart...just for starters. Get her off the puppy food at 6 months and go to a low to moderate protein adult food. NO chicken, wheat, corn, or soy.

YES Vet told me to reduce food by 25%, He is the only recommended vet on the Bulldog recommended VETs in Houston. There must have been 5 other bulldogs in office when I was there.

I can get away from grains & wheat as I am used to that with a PEI. Chicken al la veg works for my dogs but is not puppy food. Chicken? Bulldogs not good with chicken? Hopefully that is not one of the things we need to stay away from.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Type of food has already been discussed. Three cups total a day is about right. I would feed her at least 3 times a day though. Depending on your work schedule you can do a late lunch or dinner. Amount and number of times are determined through poop consistency.

Also crate training could help solve indoor pooping issues as most dogs won't go potty where they sleep. As a puppy though she shouldn't be in there for long stretches without potty breaks.

Food change coming. Something I can get at pets mart would be good but not necessary as I already order from CHEWY.COM. I have had good luck with FROMM.

Does she get canned & dry? Puppy food until 6 months?

She has a dog door & goes in and out all day. She sleeps in bed with us & when she needs to pee she gets off the bed & goes outside then comes back and either goes to her bed or lets out a little bark & I put her back in bed. Her accidents are only pee & about once a day or less. Thankfully we have mostly tile floors. When we say no potty in the house, she knows what we are talking about & we put her outside & say potty outside. We do not crate nor is that an option.

Again, any specific suggestions on food would be appreciated.

If I get fromm, which one & dry with canned or just dry?

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG

Attachments

• pup 2.JPG
    pup 2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 449
  • pup 3.JPG
    pup 3.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 228

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
"should be easy to stop the poop eating by not giving your puppy the opportunity to eat it. Bag it as soon as she dispenses it. Try to avoid walking her near poop left by other dogs. When we first brought Kash in he gobbled up a stray nugget left by a neighbors dog. Once we saw him do it, we never let him get close to any. Problem solved.

Not that easy. SHe only eats her poop & we have a dog door. When I am in the shower at 6am she goes out to poop. I pick up poop every morning & evening but I am not there during the day. My wife is here but she cant watch all the time as we have a granddaughter & she does bookwork for our business.

did he tell YOU that she was over weight? If so, did the Vet recommend a plan to help manage that weight? If not, I'd be looking for a different Vet. To just note something like that on a chart and not discuss it with the owner is nothing short of negligent.

YES Vet told me to reduce food by 25%, He is the only recommended vet on the Bulldog recommended VETs in Houston. There must have been 5 other bulldogs in office when I was there.

I can get away from grains & wheat as I am used to that with a PEI. Chicken al la veg works for my dogs but is not puppy food. Chicken? Bulldogs not good with chicken? Hopefully that is not one of the things we need to stay away from.

Have you tried one of the fromm chicken and grain free products such as pork and peas or beef fratatta even the gamebird may be an option. These options are all stages so you can feed to a puppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Type of food is dependent on the dog. Mine is allergic to some foods and did not do well on Fromm. Here is a good guide English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News.

I ended up with Acana Duck and Pear after trying multiple types. Petsmart doesn't carry very high quality food but they typically arrange from worst to best.

Also there are all stages food that can be given from puppy to senior. Most bullies don't do well with chicken or grain.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
How about this one?

Dry & canned or just dry food?

FROMM
Heartland Gold Puppy

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How about this one?

Dry & canned or just dry food?

FROMM
Heartland Gold Puppy

That is what i fed Lambeau.. just dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Not that easy.
By "easy" I meant easy with a little bit of effort on you and your wife's part. Forget the doggie door for your Bully puppy and do like we do with our 3 Bullies + as many as 3 rescues. Walk her on a lead...until she "gets it".

YES Vet told me to reduce food by 25%
Have you followed those recommendations? If so, have they worked at all?

Chicken? Bulldogs not good with chicken?
Yes, Chicken. I'm not telling you that your Bully is allergic to chicken. I'm suggesting that she might not be tolerating it very well because, as you alluded to, she's having digestive issues. The common denominator seems to be the chicken...either the chicken protein in the food or the added protein in the chicken with which you supplement that food. By the way, your Bulldog does NOT require that extra protein in the kibble you've been feeding...it's simply too much. I might also suggest that feeding too much will prevent the digestive tract from doing it's job properly and the food is just blasting on through her and that = loose stool. It's too much for her digestive tract to process.

Many puppy foods contain more than one protein...that's a good thing, that will likely help allergy-wise. Try some different protein puppy foods WITHOUT adding chicken.

I have tried everything from raw to EVERY dog food available & I threw away more food than my dogs ate.
I was under the impression that you were asking about Pebbles only and not your other dogs. Since Pebbles has likely only been with you for 2 months there's no possible way to adequately try "everything from raw to EVERY dog food available". Am I to understand that you are asking for advice to find a single food that will accommodate "all of the above". If so, I think that's not likely to happen.

IMO, until Pebbles is sorted out digestive-wise, my advice is to feed a high quality grain-free/chicken free puppy food without the addition of chicken and/or any supplements. Try a food for at least 2 weeks before you admit defeat and move on to another food. Once you find something that works and once her digestive tract has settled, then you might consider adding supplements...one at a time. GL.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What ever food you deside to go with, what your pup needs the most is digestive enzymes. That is why she is eating poo. Poo has gone through the digestive system and has those enzymes. Processed dog foods don't have any enzymes, so she needs them from raw or uncooked food. There are supplements as well, but they're never as good as the real live stuff. Tripe is great and probiotics from fresh sauerkraut. You can add those with her kbble. If you rather supplement then just google digestive enzymes for dogs and go animal rather than vegetable based.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.