cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, only 2 weeks to go before I p/u my baby Tate from the breeders and I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed getting my home ready for him.

I haven't had a puppy since I was 13yo (about 30yrs ago!), and I want to make Tate's new home a safe one for him. I also don't want him chewing up everything in site, so i'm figuring out what to put away and what i can leave out. For instance, I have these bookshelves that extend to the floor...do dogs like to chew on books? And i also have some dishes on display that may be able to reach--should these be put away too? As you can see, i'm a little bit clueless on these things and would appreciate any help you can offer!
:confused:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Congratulations on getting Tate!!! Yes, puppies like to chew on books; if the shelves are open he will help himself so you might want to empty the shelves he can reach. I'd move the dishes also! Get a large size Nylabone, a ring and a large Kong for chewing--rawhides are not good for Bulldogs! I'm looking forward to seeing some puppy pictures!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Oh yeah, they will get into anything they can grab. Keep your floors free of stuff*(shoes, coins, socks,books ,dvds,cd's...) its like having a baby. I will recomend that you keep doors of bedrooms closed and bathrooms unless you are with your puppy. keep the puppy where you can see it. And go out and buy plenty of Nylabones and durable safe toys!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think if you just assume he's going to chew anything and everything then you should be ok!! :up:

I've had puppies who haven't chewed anything ... puppies who have chewed only furniture ... puppies who like their toys and toilet rolls ... and puppies who eat anything and everything they can fit in their mouth!! (That last one would be Daddy!! :angry:)

So, I totally agree with what [MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] said .. it's like having a baby. Just baby-proof everything at first and see what your little ball of mischief is going to get into.

Have you got any pics???? We :heart: pics!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Don't forget to get some Bitter Apple- spray things they may chew on with it. Also note that Bitter YUCK! does not work as well at bitter apple!!!

Also make sure there are not any exposed cords- that can be hazardous! Rubbery chewy long things are like a puppy's favorite desire!

Cannot wait to see your new puppy!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hey, thanks you guys for your helpful tips. It sure does feel like I'll be bringing home a new baby!

I don't have any pics of him yet but later today I will visit him for the first time! i'm so excited too...i'm going to the breeder's house and will take a few photos then.

Btw, where do i get Bitter Apple? is sold at the pet store? I really have to figure out what to do w/all my electrical cords...i've got lots of those sticking out all over the place.:(
And i definitely will start looking for some of those chew toys you all mentioned. I'm so excited but a little nervous too. I just want to give him a safe and comfortable home to live in.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have actually re arranged furniture in the house temporarily just to make sure no cords are exposed :lol:

Looking forward to your pix, bet you are excited!!!

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
He will also chew on the actual corners of the bookcase! I learned this the hard way. So a wooden birdhouse, 2 pairs of flip flops, the corners of my bookcase, etc. I will be going to get apple bitter myself. He also chews on my coffee table which is metal :O Get ready it will be a journey.....but worth every mile :luv: Congrats on sweet lil Tate :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.