Training, Training Training.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
We have a 3/4 acre property on the Gulf Coast of Florida. We have a lot of grass. Our lot backs up to a pond. The pond backs up to acres of State of Florida Conservation land. We see feral pigs, deer, coyotes, bob cats, raccoons, otters, armadillos, opossums snakes, both water and land varieties and have the occasional alligator. This is called the nature Coast. We have motion spotlights to keep the pigs out of the yard. They go off when a possum or armadillo waddles through.

We have triple sliders off our great room that leads to a large lanai/caged pool. The dogs have to be let out a slider and then they have a doggie door in the lanai. We have an underground electric fence that goes around the perimeter of the entire property. Our three older dogs seldom wear their fence collars. They know exactly what their boundaries are. We also have a disk on the floor that works like the fence. It prevents the dogs from going up the stairs or running to the front door to bark at or jump on people. They are basically confined to the lower floor of the house. They are supervised at all times.
Yesterday the fence guy came over to bring Daphne's electric collar and do her first training. He put flags around the fence line. She gets a beep/warning as she approaches the "hot zone." Then he says NO and pulls her back. After one perimeter go around, Daphne knew exactly what is going on. She's the smartest pup I've ever had (sorry Razz Ma Tazz, but it's true).
I'll do one more quick training today and then tomorrow, I'll remove every other flag and then so on until all flags are gone.
Just wanted to share what we do and how we do it. This Bully Girl is one incredible dog. I would have never guessed they were so smart. I put up a couple of photos you can see what I mean about the pond and the pool. I didn't know about the bull dog No Swim Policy before I got Daphne. I will be super vigilant.
9fb5d3d993293dafa2da7cd7e70aa6fc.jpg
08715b5746b9ccd48082085313af6e38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
They are so incredibly smart its unreal. Sometimes though they totally use it against you, LOL Since they are just about as stubborn as they are smart. She will pick up quickly I'm sure of it. Yes, do be very careful around water... while I have seen some bullies that can swim freely, most just sink.

Your land is absolutely gorgeous, what a view. I would love waking up to that everyday,,,, however I could do with the wildlife. LOL I'm a city girl for sure... :)

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
They are so incredibly smart its unreal. Sometimes though they totally use it against you, LOL Since they are just about as stubborn as they are smart. She will pick up quickly I'm sure of it. Yes, do be very careful around water... while I have seen some bullies that can swim freely, most just sink.

Your land is absolutely gorgeous, what a view. I would love waking up to that everyday,,,, however I could do with the wildlife. LOL I'm a city girl for sure... :)

Thank you. And, yes we are so fortunate to live here. I am up before sunrise every morning. The sunrises in Florida are stunning.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Looks lovely!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Nice pictures and now I miss living in Florida. I lived in Vero Beach and Miami but worked south of Tampa in Apollo Beach around 2001 for a few months and liked that area also.

Bulldogs are hard headed and will do whatever they decide to do so what her when she is out even after trained

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Beautiful pics…agreed, VERY smart - scarily smart :yes: breed!! Love the indoor pool btw!! :heartsign:

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Nice pictures and now I miss living in Florida. I lived in Vero Beach and Miami but worked south of Tampa in Apollo Beach around 2001 for a few months and liked that area also.

Bulldogs are hard headed and will do whatever they decide to do so what her when she is out even after trained

I'm 11 miles south of Apollo Beach. We lived in Palm Beach Gardens for 16 years before moving here 7 years ago. Progress has followed and hunted us down here, too. Unless we want to go north and inland, there is no escaping it:::sigh:::

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my goodness, your property is gorgeous... we LOVE to head to 30A for vacations, Rosemary, Alys and Seacrest beaches are a fav.

Bulldogs are extremely stubborn, so be vigilant about keeping an eye on her. I know my brothers dogs would take the shock of the fence to get to another animal, and I'm sure that bully's are the same... Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Absolutely fabulous !!

I would just get Daphne a life vest just in case....so will and can swim, but most can not

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.