What do you do with your dog when you're sick?

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Wes, I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry you have the crud! Take lots of Vit C and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I didn't think a bug could be passed between human and dog, but after reading the article @oscarmayer posted, it sure seems like it's possible. But like it says the jury's still out on that one so just use common sense... no eating out of Chunky's bowls and no chewing on his femur bone! Lol! I do hope you're feeling better soon!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
People here on the Gulf Coast of Florida are getting sick now. The snowbirds and their germs have arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never understood why US blames Canadians snowbirds being sick with germs. Just puzzles me each time. I know as a fact a lot of snowbirds which im not there yet....but....if you're a snowbird that travels to the US and you're sick, trust me your insurance company will slap you fee a skyrocket amount to pay "before or after" you travel. So the following year you are scanned by them with a magnifed glass. There's about 36 million people living in Canada and 350 million in the US. So if you do the math, it's not the snowbirds. It's just plain and simple....the season to catch something as its everywhere. I dont believe in the flu shot as each time its flu shot season well that's when flu comes out. That's my 2 cents. :) :pigfly:

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Wes, I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry you have the crud! Take lots of Vit C and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I didn't think a bug could be passed between human and dog, but after reading the article @oscarmayer posted, it sure seems like it's possible. But like it says the jury's still out on that one so just use common sense... no eating out of Chunky's bowls and no chewing on his femur bone! Lol! I do hope you're feeling better soon!

I tried chewing his femur and he bit back. :rolleyes:

I talked to my boss last night and the guy who ate lunch with me monday at one of the cafeterias inside the plant we work at was out yesterday also so I guess it was the food. I know where I wont be eating anymore. Right now all I am eating is chicken noodle soup, saltine crackers, ginger ale and gatorade. I will stop and get some vitamin c on the way home from work.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Never understood why US blames Canadians snowbirds being sick with germs. Just puzzles me each time. I know as a fact a lot of snowbirds which im not there yet....but....if you're a snowbird that travels to the US and you're sick, trust me your insurance company will slap you fee a skyrocket amount to pay "before or after" you travel. So the following year you are scanned by them with a magnifed glass. There's about 36 million people living in Canada and 350 million in the US. So if you do the math, it's not the snowbirds. It's just plain and simple....the season to catch something as its everywhere. I dont believe in the flu shot as each time its flu shot season well that's when flu comes out. That's my 2 cents. :) :pigfly:

I am not sure if Daphne was talking about Canadians but the population of florida greatly increases around december through may each year and its people from all over the east coast of the US and canadians also. Everytime I went to Florida from Tennessee I would get a head cold where my sinuses would clear out from all the salt in the air and water. My first winter back in Tennessee after living in Miami for 3.5 years was the sickest I have ever been and I wish I had stayed in Florida now

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
There are a few diseases that are called zoonosis and can be transmitted from humans to animals and vice versa, but most are not. I would just cuddle him for my own well being.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis
[h=1][/h]

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Never understood why US blames Canadians snowbirds being sick with germs. Just puzzles me each time. I know as a fact a lot of snowbirds which im not there yet....but....if you're a snowbird that travels to the US and you're sick, trust me your insurance company will slap you fee a skyrocket amount to pay "before or after" you travel. So the following year you are scanned by them with a magnifed glass. There's about 36 million people living in Canada and 350 million in the US. So if you do the math, it's not the snowbirds. It's just plain and simple....the season to catch something as its everywhere. I dont believe in the flu shot as each time its flu shot season well that's when flu comes out. That's my 2 cents. :) ::
I don't believe that I mentioned the word "Canadian" anywhere in my reply. And, I was born in the US and raised in Canada. One parent from each country. My two brothers and I all have dual citizenship. My husband has English citizenship. Your maple leaf is showing. Relax and enjoy the music. Laugh, it's nothing personal. We have lots of different kinds snowbirds about which to make tongue in cheek remarks. I'll probably get better at it as the season goes along.

https://youtu.be/k4R3kqu9m-U

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
We try to stay away from Reggie if we are sick, as much as we can. Luckily theres 2 of us, which does make it easier.
But I know they can catch all sorts from us, and vice versa, so as horrible as it is to avoid him and not cuddle, that's what we do!
He has just been diagnosed with a campylobacter infection so currently trying deal with that! Much hand washing and anti-bac gel :(

Hope you feel better soon!

BE VERY CAREFUL with him. When we first got Ruthie, she had Campylobacter, we had no clue, she was just at the vet since we rescued her and my husband got it. He was in the hospital for a few days. It was awful. He was in a ton of pain because of the gas build up in his chest cavity. I wouldn't wish it on anyone just seeing what he went through. I hope no one gets it in your home.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't believe that I mentioned the word "Canadian" anywhere in my reply. And, I was born in the US and raised in Canada. One parent from each country. My two brothers and I all have dual citizenship. My husband has English citizenship. Your maple leaf is showing. Relax and enjoy the music. Laugh, it's nothing personal. We have lots of different kinds snowbirds about which to make tongue in cheek remarks. I'll probably get better at it as the season goes along.

https://youtu.be/k4R3kqu9m-U

Ohhhh no... I didn't want it to sound "you" meant Canadians. It was a general remark. Sorry about that. Some people in here knows I speak my mind but wasnt meant towards you. In general we hear this so often. Why I just dont get it. Coming from Montreal, I have a lot of family and friends living in Florida. They hear it all the time too. It's one of those things, "it is what it is". Again I apologies. Really wasn't meant towards you. BTW Dumaurier is french. What part of Canada was you raised?

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ohhhh no... I didn't want it to sound "you" meant Canadians. It was a general remark. Sorry about that. Some people in here knows I speak my mind but wasnt meant towards you. In general we hear this so often. Why I just dont get it. Coming from Montreal, I have a lot of family and friends living in Florida. They hear it all the time too. It's one of those things, "it is what it is". Again I apologies. Really wasn't meant towards you. BTW Dumaurier is french. What part of Canada was you raised?

I was raised in Ontario. I graduated from Collingwood Collegiate Institute. I lived in Collingwood on Georgian Bay, then Wasaga Beach and finally in Niagara on the Lake. My dad lives in NOTL, one brother in Toronto and one in New Jersey. I moved back to the states for university and have remained here. We have friends from Ottawa arriving Friday. So in reality, we love snowbirds.

Daphne,my most beloved Bully Girly, is named after Daphne DuMaurier, the English author from Cornwall, not the Canadian cigarettes (do they still have those?)

It's nice to meet you here. And, no apology was necessary.

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I was raised in Ontario. I graduated from Collingwood Collegiate Institute. I lived in Collingwood on Georgian Bay, then Wasaga Beach and finally in Niagara on the Lake. My dad lives in NOTL, one brother in Toronto and one in New Jersey. I moved back to the states for university and have remained here. We have friends from Ottawa arriving Friday. So in reality, we love snowbirds.

Daphne,my most beloved Bully Girly, is named after Daphne DuMaurier, the English author from Cornwall, not the Canadian cigarettes (do they still have those?)

It's nice to meet you here. My name is Dana. And, no apology was necessary.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

It's nice to meet you here. And, no apology was necessary.

Ohhhh love Niagara on the Lake. What a beautiful place. Was looking into buying a B&B many years ago in that area. Shouldn't have listen to the husband back then! I would be laughing to the bank by now. Lol. Yes they still have them smokes. Big red pack.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
BE VERY CAREFUL with him. When we first got Ruthie, she had Campylobacter, we had no clue, she was just at the vet since we rescued her and my husband got it. He was in the hospital for a few days. It was awful. He was in a ton of pain because of the gas build up in his chest cavity. I wouldn't wish it on anyone just seeing what he went through. I hope no one gets it in your home.

Fingers crossed, we are being very careful with hygeine.
I think Reggie had it from when we first got him too. The breeder used to feed them a mix of kibble & raw chicken, and the day before we picked him up he was ill. Her vet said it was just a tummy bug though, and he could come to us as long as we were aware of it.
He was at the vet last week and they told us it was gastroenteritis and gave him Metrobactin anti-biotics. It was only because we specifically requested a fecal test that we found out what it was.
Of course Metrobactin isn't effective against Campylobacter so he now has to have a different course of drugs :(
[MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] Sorry to hear your husband was so ill with it, glad its all ok now though. Did you find out thats what she had because your husband got sick?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Fingers crossed, we are being very careful with hygeine.
I think Reggie had it from when we first got him too. The breeder used to feed them a mix of kibble & raw chicken, and the day before we picked him up he was ill. Her vet said it was just a tummy bug though, and he could come to us as long as we were aware of it.
He was at the vet last week and they told us it was gastroenteritis and gave him Metrobactin anti-biotics. It was only because we specifically requested a fecal test that we found out what it was.
Of course Metrobactin isn't effective against Campylobacter so he now has to have a different course of drugs :(
@JennieS Sorry to hear your husband was so ill with it, glad its all ok now though. Did you find out thats what she had because your husband got sick?

Yep, the hospital couldn't figure it out either. They released him once he was a little better and a week later he got a call from the health department telling him what he had. It was nuts. I hope he feels better and you stay healthy!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I tried chewing his femur and he bit back. :rolleyes:

I talked to my boss last night and the guy who ate lunch with me monday at one of the cafeterias inside the plant we work at was out yesterday also so I guess it was the food. I know where I wont be eating anymore. Right now all I am eating is chicken noodle soup, saltine crackers, ginger ale and gatorade. I will stop and get some vitamin c on the way home from work.

Certainly hoping that you are feeling a bit better by now!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.