What do you do with your dog when you're sick?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have a stomach bug or food poisoning I am not sure which and other than taking Chunky out and feeding him I have been trying to avoid him. Is there any reason I should continue this?

I have felt bad since after lunch yesterday and I am staying at home today and don't want to give him what I have

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
We try to stay away from Reggie if we are sick, as much as we can. Luckily theres 2 of us, which does make it easier.
But I know they can catch all sorts from us, and vice versa, so as horrible as it is to avoid him and not cuddle, that's what we do!
He has just been diagnosed with a campylobacter infection so currently trying deal with that! Much hand washing and anti-bac gel :(

Hope you feel better soon!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I normally just deal with it as I still have to take care of Harlea during the day while my wife is at work. I just try not to sneeze or cough directly one her.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh, I'm SO sorry... there has been a horrible stomach bug making the rounds here since Christmas!!! It's virtually impossible for me to keep the dogs away, I just try to lay in bed which they both can't reach.

I hope you feel better soon...

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hmmm I have never heard of "them " getting something from us or vise versa ever , not sure I believe that .
My problem when I am sick is they all seem to turn into nurses , they sense right away I am not well and want to help , they all slow right down versus the mad playing of five dogs in the middle of the living room door while I nap on the couch the same in the bedroom at night . Rosie and Odin cuddle to me when I am cold , I have caught them staring at me when I awake from a nap, just plain staring . Odin will even whine sometimes.
I do nothing different , our play time is somewhat curtailed outside that's for sure as I do not have the strength to do it spend most of the time napping on the couch to be honest lol

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
My vet told me that its very unlikely I will pass anything on to my dogs (and vice versa), not to say it's impossible, but she said it was very unlikely. When I'm sick the dogs will stay in bed or on the couch with me all day...they kinda love sick days. I actually call them Dr. Dutchie & Nurse Sgt. lol. The only thing that kinda sucks is when I'm sick, I don't walk the dogs...they just go out to the backyard to do their business. So once I'm better, I owe them a good walk...or a trip to the dog park!
Hope you feel better soon Wes!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I haven't had a stomach issue like described in many many years...and I hope I don't. Here's the results of one study. And after reading it, I would not go to great lengths to isolate the dog, but I wouldn't carry on business as usual either. I'd try to limit interaction with my dogs until a few days after I'm feeling better. Washing hands regularly and not kissing and hugging on my guys the way I normally would.

"Can my dog get sick when someone in our family has the stomach flu?

It seemed like last week my daughter and our dachshund both had upset stomachs at the same time.
In the U.S., norovirus is the most likely cause of stomach flu in people. It can cause severe
vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain that lasts for a day or two. It is very contagious to other
people, even for several days after the person feels better. Nursing homes, cruise ships and
daycare centers have frequent outbreaks. Norovirus is spread by oral contact with the viral
particles- either by eating or drinking contaminated food or drink, or touching a contaminated
surface and then putting your hand in your mouth. When an infected person vomits or goes to the
bathroom, the viral particles are spread in the air and can be infective to others in the area.

There is a specific form of the virus that infects people and it was assumed that this human
norovirus could not be transmitted to other animals. Very recently a study was published that
looked at this issue.

A research group in Finland collected stool specimens from 92 indoor dogs
in homes where people had signs of gastroenteritis or the owner of the dog had close contact
with someone outside the family who had. Tests were run on the dog samples looking for
norovirus. In 4 of the 92, there was evidence of the virus. Some interesting points about the
results: children were present in all 4 positive households, more than 2 people were sick in these
4 households, and two of the 4 positive dogs also had signs of stomach upset.

Based on this one study, it seems that dogs can pick up and shed the norovirus, but perhaps only in cases where
there are multiple ill people spreading quite a lot of virus in the house. It wasn’t determined that
the 2 dogs showing symptoms were actually suffering from norovirus, or had some other cause
of their disease.

This study does show the possibility exists that dogs pass the virus in the stool, but did it infect
them or just pass through and would it be infective to humans or other animals? More research is
obviously needed. Perhaps household cats should also be tested, as they suffer from a type of
calici virus that causes respiratory symptoms and is in the same virus family as norovirus. In the
meantime, general rules of hygiene including hand washing, not sharing food/drinks/utensils
with sick people, and perhaps keeping your pet dog away from sick kids in the house would all
be good preventive steps to take.

Francine K. Rattner, V.M.D.
South Arundel Veterinary Hospital"

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Interesting article. I read a lot about campylobacter (food poisining bacteria) when we got Reggie's results, and there are tons of stories about owners catching it from their dogs.
Whilst the risk is small, and proper hygeine & common sense (don't let your sick dog lick your face!) would likely prevent it, the potential is there.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh jeez!!! No advice but GET BETTER SOON!! SO MANY people around are sick, hits hard and fast but seems to leave pretty fast too, hope this is the case for you!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Oh jeez!!! No advice but GET BETTER SOON!! SO MANY people around are sick, hits hard and fast but seems to leave pretty fast too, hope this is the case for you!

People here on the Gulf Coast of Florida are getting sick now. The snowbirds and their germs have arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
It seems like its passing and now I am just trying to motivate myself to leave the house and get something that I can eat and drink. Gatorade is getting old

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I didn't know that they caught things of us and I can honestly say I was quite sick for a couple months and FTSE laid with me and he never got anything so I'm quite shocking see that. But I'm the only one here as Richard does 17 hour shifts so it's just FTSE and me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It seems like its passing and now I am just trying to motivate myself to leave the house and get something that I can eat and drink. Gatorade is getting old

Hope you are getting some energy and feeling better....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hope you are feeling better!! When I was sick this summer, Ellie was my little nurse, and snuggled with me, she slept more than I did...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.