TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@megdav
Yes, I would simplify things for now. I would also do a slow transition with the food, the formula in the adult is different so the belly can upset. Slow transition and add pure canned pumpkin in as well. You can find it at the grocery store in the baking isle, just be sure its 100% pure pumpkin. That will help settle his belly. A probiotic is a great idea as well, helps keep the bad stuff under control and replaces it with good in the gut. If you want take him down to a bland diet for a few days - (boiled rice, hamburger, egg with some water) give his tummy a few days to recoup... then SLOWLY start adding in kibble increasing it little by little everyday. Keep adding the pumpkin as well, maybe a tablespoon or 2.

Hope Dozer feels better soon!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I'd back off on all treats for a couple of days and even back off on the amount(1/2-3/4 of normal serving) of food you are giving. Kibble and water only until his gut settles then add one more day. Only then should you begin introducing treats or supplements...one at a time giving them a chance to show if they will be tolerated.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] have given great advice, I listened these folks plus several others as I wondered my way through raising Joey from 8 weeks. Please follow what they have said, SLOW process, go back to the beginning. It sounds like so many dietary changes going on and too much for Dozer to handle. There is TON of amazing information here, I think I read for 2 months straight after getting Joey. It really is all right here, everything you need to know and the people are wonderful and will help but do yourself a favor and research/read as much as you can here, it helped me more than anything. Hope Dozer feels better really soon!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, good advice above! Cut back on all extras and keep the furball close at night so you hear if he needs to go out! Concering treats, I'm not sure they are needed; when he tolerates the kibble, you can use that as training treats too.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
thanks everyone!!!
( i think our house still smells like :poo: )
lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've already been given great advice above, so nothing to add, just wanted to say I hope Dozer feels better soon, and his tummy settles down. I've also heard that you can give a dog Pepto Bismal to settle the stomach. I'll look up,the dose for you and post it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've already been given great advice above, so nothing to add, just wanted to say I hope Dozer feels better soon, and his tummy settles down. I've also heard that you can give a dog Pepto Bismal to settle the stomach.

Can I Give My Dog Pepto Bismol?

can-i-give-my-dog-pepto-bismol.jpg
When your dog has an upset stomach, indigestion or diarrhea, you may consider reaching for the well-known pink bottle called Pepto Bismol. As a responsible owner, you obviously want to confirm if this medicine is appropriate for canine use.

The most popular brand for bismuth subsalicylate is Pepto Bismol and youā€™ll be happy to know that side effects associated with this over-the-counter product are relatively rare. So, when properly used, Pepto is not dangerous for the family dog.
Itā€™s certainly true that pets get their fair share of stomachaches, but it is important to understand that using Pepto Bismol isnā€™t always necessary. When your dog throws up, or has a bowel movement, it will likely improve matters. In any case, learn more about the use of this OTC liquid for your Fidoā€™s sake.
Can I Give My Dog Pepto Bismol? Answer: Yes

You can administer this household medicine but it may be unnecessary.
Whenever you give a human medicine to your dog, you should first consult with a vet and this goes for Pepto Bismol as well. While this popular pink potion isnā€™t know to be harmful, there may be better alternatives such as a canine-formulated probiotic. If you do provide Pepto Bismol, be sure that your dog gets the appropriate dose based on their body weight. Nursing or pregnant animals should not be given this medicine under any scenario.
Serious or recurring stomach problems, not just a tummy ache, need to be evaluated by a professional.
Human vs Canine Treatment

When dogs get an upset stomach or diarrhea, itā€™s different than when we experience the same symptoms. Such human problems can go on for days. Instead of suffering, we typically take something to help ease the discomfort. If we are backed up weā€™ll take a laxative. For diarrhea cramps weā€™ll take a medicine, like Pepto Bismol, to help with the looseness and irregularity.

But your dogā€™s stomach problems typically will not last for very long. They have quicker digestion but they can also handle such issues on their own. If they cannot digest whatā€™s causing the trouble, they will usually vomit it up. If they are experiencing diarrhea, they just soldier through because it wonā€™t last too long.
So you likely donā€™t need to be overly concerned unless your dogā€™s problem is recurring or chronic. In such cases, products like Pepto-Bismol wonā€™t be sufficient to address it anyway.
Dog Dosing of Pepto Bismol

Do not give your dog more then 1.5ml of Pepto Bismol per pound of their body weight over any 12-hour period. Itā€™s important to ask your vet about the proper dose for your pet dogā€™s particular situation. They may consider several factors in addition to body weight. There are so many different types of Pepto Bismol, with different strengths, so providing exact dosing information is irresponsible.
The Use of OTC Medications

Try not to get into the habit of using medications like Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate on your dog. Every little problem, that you think they may be experiencing, does not require the use of such medicines. Even though you may not do any harm, these OTC human products were not developed with pets in mind and should only be used as a last resort.
Taking a trial and error approach, even with Pepto, is something that you want to avoid as a responsible owner.
Conclusion on Pepto-Bismol

Pepto Bismol can be used on dogs but a vet can more effectively help you to treat your dogā€™s stomach issues. This is especially true if your dog is dealing with recurring digestive symptoms. Such long term problems cannot be effectively treated with Pepto. This branded Bismuth subsalicylate only works for short-term mild stomach discomfort and/or diarrhea. If your dog has a chronic gastrointestinal condition then seek professional help.

• Was this Article Helpful?
  • YES NO

Vet-Doctor-Stephanie.jpg

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
You've already been given great advice above, so nothing to add, just wanted to say I hope Dozer feels better soon, and his tummy settles down. I've also heard that you can give a dog Pepto Bismal to settle the stomach.

Can I Give My Dog Pepto Bismol?

can-i-give-my-dog-pepto-bismol.jpg
When your dog has an upset stomach, indigestion or diarrhea, you may consider reaching for the well-known pink bottle called Pepto Bismol. As a responsible owner, you obviously want to confirm if this medicine is appropriate for canine use.

The most popular brand for bismuth subsalicylate is Pepto Bismol and youā€™ll be happy to know that side effects associated with this over-the-counter product are relatively rare. So, when properly used, Pepto is not dangerous for the family dog.
Itā€™s certainly true that pets get their fair share of stomachaches, but it is important to understand that using Pepto Bismol isnā€™t always necessary. When your dog throws up, or has a bowel movement, it will likely improve matters. In any case, learn more about the use of this OTC liquid for your Fidoā€™s sake.
Can I Give My Dog Pepto Bismol? Answer: Yes

You can administer this household medicine but it may be unnecessary.
Whenever you give a human medicine to your dog, you should first consult with a vet and this goes for Pepto Bismol as well. While this popular pink potion isnā€™t know to be harmful, there may be better alternatives such as a canine-formulated probiotic. If you do provide Pepto Bismol, be sure that your dog gets the appropriate dose based on their body weight. Nursing or pregnant animals should not be given this medicine under any scenario.
Serious or recurring stomach problems, not just a tummy ache, need to be evaluated by a professional.
Human vs Canine Treatment

When dogs get an upset stomach or diarrhea, itā€™s different than when we experience the same symptoms. Such human problems can go on for days. Instead of suffering, we typically take something to help ease the discomfort. If we are backed up weā€™ll take a laxative. For diarrhea cramps weā€™ll take a medicine, like Pepto Bismol, to help with the looseness and irregularity.

But your dogā€™s stomach problems typically will not last for very long. They have quicker digestion but they can also handle such issues on their own. If they cannot digest whatā€™s causing the trouble, they will usually vomit it up. If they are experiencing diarrhea, they just soldier through because it wonā€™t last too long.
So you likely donā€™t need to be overly concerned unless your dogā€™s problem is recurring or chronic. In such cases, products like Pepto-Bismol wonā€™t be sufficient to address it anyway.
Dog Dosing of Pepto Bismol

Do not give your dog more then 1.5ml of Pepto Bismol per pound of their body weight over any 12-hour period. Itā€™s important to ask your vet about the proper dose for your pet dogā€™s particular situation. They may consider several factors in addition to body weight. There are so many different types of Pepto Bismol, with different strengths, so providing exact dosing information is irresponsible.
The Use of OTC Medications

Try not to get into the habit of using medications like Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate on your dog. Every little problem, that you think they may be experiencing, does not require the use of such medicines. Even though you may not do any harm, these OTC human products were not developed with pets in mind and should only be used as a last resort.
Taking a trial and error approach, even with Pepto, is something that you want to avoid as a responsible owner.
Conclusion on Pepto-Bismol

Pepto Bismol can be used on dogs but a vet can more effectively help you to treat your dogā€™s stomach issues. This is especially true if your dog is dealing with recurring digestive symptoms. Such long term problems cannot be effectively treated with Pepto. This branded Bismuth subsalicylate only works for short-term mild stomach discomfort and/or diarrhea. If your dog has a chronic gastrointestinal condition then seek professional help.

• Was this Article Helpful?
  • YES NO

Vet-Doctor-Stephanie.jpg

THANK YOU!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is he doing?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.