megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
woke up this morning to a horrid smell. poor dozer had pooped and peed in his crate during the night. it was a mess. very soft. thank goodness for my brother in law who is staying with us right now. he was a huge help. i was overwhelmed and didnt know how to get the tray out of the crate w/out spilling everything :( (We ended up taking the whole crate outside. thankfully we live where there is no snow :whew: ). ugh what a smell. it was on the wall and everything. we recently changed from orijen puppy to orijen adult. i didnt do it gradually because i thought if you stayed within a brand you didnt need to transition slowly. was i wrong? maybe it's something else that is making his poop so soft. i felt so bad for the poor guy sitting in that. i didnt wake up from the smell and didnt hear if he was trying to tell me to go out :ohmy:

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Reggie did the same the other night, bless him. He's had gastroenteritis for the last few days so was very soft, and he had walked in it & sat in it.
I just kind of stood there for a minute staring at it all!!
Like you, I don't know if he cried to let us know, but we didn't hear him because we were asleep. I felt sooooo bad for him :(

I'm not sure about the transition with the same brand. Part of me thinks it would have been ok as long as the protein was the same, but then there are different levels of protein, vitamins etc. between puppy & adult food so maybe that was the cause.

Hope he gets better soon!!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Reggie did the same the other night, bless him. He's had gastroenteritis for the last few days so was very soft, and he had walked in it & sat in it.
I just kind of stood there for a minute staring at it all!!
Like you, I don't know if he cried to let us know, but we didn't hear him because we were asleep. I felt sooooo bad for him :(

I'm not sure about the transition with the same brand. Part of me thinks it would have been ok as long as the protein was the same, but then there are different levels of protein, vitamins etc. between puppy & adult food so maybe that was the cause.

Hope he gets better soon!!

Thanks Em. Poor Reggie. Poor you. I'll have to check the protein. You may be right.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
oh im also wondering what i should do for his loose stools? hamb and rice? for every meal? mixed with his food? and for how long?

LOL so many questions...

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
You know what sort of day its gonna be when you open the bedroom door & smell 'that' smell :sos:

We were told by the vet to feed scrambled egg & rice (no milk or butter, just plain egg), until his poops go back to normal. He's perfectly fine with this, thats his favourite :D

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well Jewel had a similar experience when we switched her to Orijen before her bout of pancreatitis. You may want to try adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin puree to the food for a while until Dozer's GI tract get used to the food. Keep in mind that Orijen does have probiotics in their recipes.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Well Jewel had a similar experience when we switched her to Orijen before her bout of pancreatitis. You may want to try adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin puree to the food for a while until Dozer's GI tract get used to the food. Keep in mind that Orijen does have probiotics in their recipes.

do probiotics cause loose stools sometimes?

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
do probiotics cause loose stools sometimes?

Well our vet gave him antibiotics and pro-biotics to help with his gastroenteritis, so I'm guessing they're ok. And we were advised to add natural probiotic yogurt everyday to help with digestion. Maybe theres an issue with the amount of pro-biotics though?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well the antibiotics get rid of both kinds of bacteria--good and bad which can lead to diarrhea. The yogurt has good cultures and will help but do not over do it. I usually give Jewel and Bentley a tablespoon of yogurt in the evening after dinner. Too many changes at once can often cause watery stools.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
yah im wondering if we've been giving too many different kinds of treats, even if they are healthy ones.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
yah im wondering if we've been giving too many different kinds of treats, even if they are healthy ones.

Maybe thats the cause. When Reggie was on Fish 4 Dogs he always had fish based treats.
Since we switched to Taste of the Wild we haven't been sure what treats to give so we have stuck to pieces of kibble for training, and he has been getting ice cubes for teething. We made up some apple, pear & water popsicles, but we have noticed if he has too much fruit then poops are looser.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
ahh, fruit. he likes frozen mango and pineapple and bananas. he likes everything basically lol.
i think i need to simplify things for a bit. On top of the new food. Oh dear. :unsure:

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
ahh, fruit. he likes frozen mango and pineapple and bananas. he likes everything basically lol.
i think i need to simplify things for a bit. On top of the new food. Oh dear. :unsure:

Yeah, we always do frozen after an 'incident' with unfrozen banana in December. Not nice afterwards :(

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15395]megdav[/MENTION] [MENTION=879]Reggie[/MENTION]sParents

How old are Dozer and Reggie?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online