Dozer chews rocks :\

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Our yard is 1/2 rock which is common in AZ. Dozer likes to pick up a rock to chew on after going potty.Sometimes it's difficult to get it out of his jaws of steel. I can usually get it though. He may have swallowed one or two when he first started doing this. :ashamed: i really hope not. I want to sign him up for training classes where they should teach him "drop it" (I'm trying). But in the meantime does anyone have any ideas why he might do this? Could it be a deficiency? Maybe he just likes the feeling of chewing them?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine likes to do it with acorns. I am just hypervigilant and get it out of his mouth. Drop it doesn't work unless i have treats. Go figure.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky will act like he needs to go out and pee just to get some mulch to chew on knowing I will take most of it from him. He is always able to keep some.

makel

Dec 29, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper
All my dogs go outside and eat dirt. I don't know.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He may see them as toys or food... stay diligent with the 'leave it' command, carry water bottle to spray him or get a high value treat and praise him when he does not pick them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Chunky will act like he needs to go out and pee just to get some mulch to chew on knowing I will take most of it from him. He is always able to keep some.

dozer too! he'll fake me out....little bugger :)

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Reggie does exactly the same. He used to always swallow them, so we are on constant poo checking duties.
Despite the fact that we watch him like a hawk, sometimes we hear that telltale crunching sound and know he picked one up somewhere.
As soon as he knows we have realised he hides his little face and chewslike hell! If I have treats then 'drop it' usually works, if not then we have to try & open his mouth - not easy!!
Hoping it will stop when teething finishes.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Meg, must be a Bully thing lol. Both my guys Bulldozer and Blossom eat stuff. Dozers likes textiles, his favourite is sweat socks, ( he's swallowed 4 socks), he loves pillows, towels, blankets, and stuffed animals. He can't have anything in his crate. He also loves tissue paper and paper towels. Blossom doesn't eat stuff inside, but she eats sticks, mulch, rocks, and she loves pine cones and her favourite is cigarette butts. It's brutal because cigarette butts are everywhere and I am always on the lookout for them, but she still manages to find them. I'm worried about her eating them, because they are toxic. Dozed used to chew on rocks when he was a puppy, but he eventually stopped

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
... her favourite is cigarette butts. It's brutal because cigarette butts are everywhere and I am always on the lookout for them, but she still manages to find them. I'm worried about her eating them, because they are toxic. Dozed used to chew on rocks when he was a puppy, but he eventually stopped

Oh yeah, Reggie loves those too. And leaves, and we had to stop using puppy pads at 9 weeks old cos he ate those too!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi Meg, must be a Bully thing lol. Both my guys Bulldozer and Blossom eat stuff. Dozers likes textiles, his favourite is sweat socks, ( he's swallowed 4 socks), he loves pillows, towels, blankets, and stuffed animals. He can't have anything in his crate. He also loves tissue paper and paper towels. Blossom doesn't eat stuff inside, but she eats sticks, mulch, rocks, and she loves pine cones and her favourite is cigarette butts. It's brutal because cigarette butts are everywhere and I am always on the lookout for them, but she still manages to find them. I'm worried about her eating them, because they are toxic. Dozed used to chew on rocks when he was a puppy, but he eventually stopped

oh my goodness that is a lot of chewing and eating lol-
by the way, I love your signature "Learn a lesson from your dog, no matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that s**t and move on". i said that to myself this morning when realizing dozer pooped in his crate :\ :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
oh my goodness that is a lot of chewing and eating lol-
by the way, I love your signature "Learn a lesson from your dog, no matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that s**t and move on". i said that to myself this morning when realizing dozer pooped in his crate :\ :)

Lol. I love it too. It works for so many things.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.