Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas use to do well out of the crate. But he has epilepsy..and if he has a seizure when no one is home, I don't want him to hurt himself. With that being said, Vegas is a good boy. He has gotten into stuff..like the lazy susan. (video in the bullytube section) Also...he had his share of shake n bake (video in the bully tube section) So, it's not that you are trying to protect your house from him, but you need to protect him from the house.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex has never liked his crate we had even moved his crate next to the bed and he still wanted out, he never wanted up on the bed just out of that dang ol crate!!! bo has actually taken over the crate and its in the office, and lex walks past it through out the day, the door is open and he wont even look twice at it. so we block off part of the house when we are gone or he is put in one of the rooms we put out water and his safe toys turn the radio on and he does fine all by his self.. although we did end up crate training him the only time he is crated is when we are at someone elses house at nite.

OP
H

heff101

Ok so last night we decided to not put (or rather force) him into his crate. We simply left the door open. We went to bed and it took Heff about 1 hour to settle down. He wondered around the house tried sleeping here and there and in the end the little beggar settled down in his kennel! He slept in it all night with the door open and no peeing.
So I guess he just simply did not like having the door closed on him.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yay ... glad you got it figured out! :up:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I think to heck with the crate.
We used to crate him during the day while at work (never longer then 3 hours at a time) and now we leave him out and he has had no accidents yet.
So tonight we will simply leave him out and leave the door open and see what happens.
He is so calm and submissive its amazing.
He also does not play with toys...weird.
Thanks all for your suggestions. Will let you know tomorrow how we do tonight!! lol
PS
I would let him sleep with us but my wife says nooooooooo wayyyyyyyy......give it a few months and wanna bet his butt will be on our bed hahahaha.

OMG you sound EXACTLY like my husband! All because I gave in to Chunk being on the couch! However, I cannot handle TWO snoring boys!!! Plus, I know it causes more separation anxiety so I just can't do it. Chunk likes his crate and sleeps there all day on his own will, so that to me means he likes it!!!

OP
H

heff101

Ok so we have actually taken down the crate all together and returned it to Wally World.
No use having it around if he will never use it.
He much prefers not having it and to be honest spends most of his night sleeping on the floor next to his bed. I think dog beds are to soft and their face and nose sinks into them to much and makes it hard for them to sleep. When Heff is on it he generally will have his head off the bed on the floor. I think its easier for him to breath this way.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I think he needs to learn to adjust. If you ever need to kennel him for any reason. He will be less stressed there. As well if he's ever ill and needs to spend time at the vets. Being crate trained will cause less fear when stress is already a factor. [Just my opinion]

We vacation with our dogs...contracts when renting a cabin/mountain home is...the dog is crated when owners are not present. So a crate trained pup is best...I think if you give in now since he's relatively new to your home. You won't be showing him pack leadership...once he learns to adjust to his home...with the suggestions above. Feeding him in the crate...fill a kong and place him in the crate awhile. Leave the door of the crate open when he's not in there...so he may be tempted to use it on his own...to retrieve a toy. Maybe get a lambs wool bed liner for the bottom of the crate if you don't have one already.

But honestly...my dogs crates are their havens. Once we considered NOT assembling the crate after we arrived home from vacation...and Tank was LOST without it. He is NOT crated during the day or at night. It's just there for him to use. But he used to be crated during the night and while we were away while he was still a puppy. Until he was trusted to not injure himself by digesting something that wasn't meant to be digested. They also are crated when we have the Schwan's man visit. For he is bringing food into our home. And I don't wish to share their hair with other clients of his. So they are crated prior to his entering our home.

OP
H

heff101

OMG you sound EXACTLY like my husband! All because I gave in to Chunk being on the couch! However, I cannot handle TWO snoring boys!!! Plus, I know it causes more separation anxiety so I just can't do it. Chunk likes his crate and sleeps there all day on his own will, so that to me means he likes it!!!

Your husband sounds like an exceptionally great guy hahaha.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Your husband sounds like an exceptionally great guy hahaha.

I'll be sure to pass that on! :LMAO: Him and Chunk are two of a kind ... they snore, the need MOMMY to do everything for them, and they look alike!
2abdb131.jpg

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Sounds like they both have you trained! Cute pic!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Sounds like they both have you trained! Cute pic!

They definitely do. Little stinkers! But now Joe knows why Chunk loves Mommy the best. :up: It's a good think Julia, at 12 years old, is so well-behaved because two kids (Chunk and Joe) are enough! :p

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.