Crate Or Not

H

heff101

Wondering what most of you do in regards to crating your bully.

Lately Heff has started peeing in his kennel at night. We make sure he goes before bed and have started to take his water away about 2 hours before bedtime.
For some reason he has developed a "fear" of his kennel. Its hard to get him into it (we literally have to carry him in) then he will pant for awhile before he settles down.
We think he pees perhaps due to maybe a separation anxiety.
Not sure what to do. Do we continue or simply give up and let him sleep out of his kennel?
He came from a breeder and is used to other dogs pups etc around and now it is just us.
He is 21 months old male & neutered.

Last edited:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Wondering what most of you do in regards to crating your bully.

Lately Heff has started peeing in his kennel at night. We make sure he goes before bed and have started to take his water away about 2 hours before bedtime.
For some reason he has developed a "fear" of his kennel. Its hard to get him into it (we literally have to carry him in) then he will pant for awhile before he settles down.
We think he pees perhaps due to maybe a separation anxiety.
Not sure what to do. Do we continue or simply give up and let him sleep out of his kennel?
He came from a breeder and is used to other dogs pups etc around and now it is just us.
He is 21 months old male & neutered.

Is it open for him to go in during the day? Chunk's spends a lot of his day in his crate on his own free will ... it's his little home. We also give him treats when he goes in it for the night so he likes going in for that reason. Maybe bribe him with a treat to go in there rather than picking him up?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I think you are correct about the separation anxiety.I have a crate but I too leave it as an option for Mocha to go in if she wants privacy.She sleeps with me in my bed at nite. I think maybe if you had the option of getting a baby gate and place it in your kitchen together with the crate,pick up anything that might be a danger from the floor, and see if that would help at nite.I think he will walk a little and then go in the crate on his own.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I agree that giving him a treat will help him go into his crate. I personally only crate 1 of my bullies when I leave the house and dont crate them at all at night. Crate training is good for him becaue he will probably need to be crated at times...like when he has to recover from a Vet procedure, boarding, traveling or even at the groomer. Showing him that there is no reason to fear it will help him in the long run.

OP
H

heff101

We have tried the treat thing it does not work. He knows when it is bedtime and will take off to another area of the house.
His crate is in the computer room and as I type this he is fast asleep in it! Seems he is not scared of the crate so much as being alone.
And no we do not want to have him sleep with us.
Think tonight we will try to just leave him.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Heff is very good looking! How long have you had him?
I used to let my dogs sleep in my bedroom with me but gave it up 15+ years ago because the snoring would wake me up. Our dogs sleep in their crates with the crate door open; in the morning they are always snuggling together in one crate. I'm sure that's how they sleep most of the night. Maybe Heff needs a buddy!

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
no help here. when i got my Bullet he had spent his first 7 months kenneled too often (but well cared for) so he fought to go in it when we brought it home with him. i didn't have the heart to force him (or bribe) in it so he instantly started sleeping in our room on his blankets/bed. i guess we got use to his snoring and gas. lol

i'm thinking it's anxiety with your Heff. have you tried letting him sleep with his kennel open? maybe some background noise? hope you figure something out. :pray:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I've read that with the separation anxiety, it helps to show them that you are going to come back. Maybe if you put him in for "bed" starting with shorter times and slowly going to longer times, he will become accustomed and more comfortable!

OP
H

heff101

He is 21 months. We have had him for 3 weeks! So I think his anxiety is all from new home, new people etc etc.
Guess I am being slightly impatient but man this is like having a newborn all over again. ha ha

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think maybe he needs some additional crate time throughout the day. Feed him his meals in his crate, give him a fun chew thing in his crate. Make sure it is big enough so he can turn around in it.

Perhaps he was crated all the time at his old home and is now---- loving the new found freedom---- he does not want to go back in?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
You might also want to try at night to cover his kennel. We do this with O. She doesn't have a problem with it. I agree about the feeding in the kennel. If you can try and associate good things with the kennel...maybe a kong treat ball with frozen banana? The only time Heff gets this treat is in the kennel. As soon as he's done, unlock it and let him come out. With Orion, we did some conditioning. Leaving the door open..we'd toss a treat in it and say "kennel". She'd run in it..and we'd give the "stay" command. Then we'd toss a treat on the floor away from the kennel and say "okay". She'd run out of the kennel to get it..then we'd toss another into the kennel and give her the "kennel" command. We made it into a game. With enough conditioning..and weeks of training, all we say now is "kennel" and they both run into their kennels and wait for their treat. It takes time. Patience. And consistency. But eventually it will work.

OP
H

heff101

I think to heck with the crate.
We used to crate him during the day while at work (never longer then 3 hours at a time) and now we leave him out and he has had no accidents yet.
So tonight we will simply leave him out and leave the door open and see what happens.
He is so calm and submissive its amazing.
He also does not play with toys...weird.
Thanks all for your suggestions. Will let you know tomorrow how we do tonight!! lol
PS
I would let him sleep with us but my wife says nooooooooo wayyyyyyyy......give it a few months and wanna bet his butt will be on our bed hahahaha.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] Forgive me if you've already posted this and I've either forgotton or missed it ... but was Heff a rescue?? Just wondering if there is something deeper going on which there often is with rescue dogs.

Otherwise, I would suggest you move the crate upstairs into your bedroom during the night maybe??? That way he's with you but not on the bed.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We have Belly's crate in the kitchen...she had free roam of the kitchen and goes in her kennel to sleep. We would feed her in it and she doesn't mind it at all ..in fact when she goes to time out in it, she just goes to sleep... Some dogs just don't do well in a crate period. My first bully would never go in a crate..we woke up to a bully,crate,walls and carpet dripping in :poo: we never put her in it again and she slept with us.

We have to keep the puppy in one..so far I've found a penny,wire and a band aide in her mouth...God knows what I didn't catch...

If he's fine without being in a crate, toss it :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online