Thread: Crate Or Not

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crate Or Not

I think he needs to learn to adjust. If you ever need to kennel him for any reason. He will be less stressed there. As well if he's ever ill and needs to spend time at the vets. Being crate trained will cause less fear when stress is already a factor. [Just my opinion]

We vacation with our dogs...contracts when renting a cabin/mountain home is...the dog is crated when owners are not present. So a crate trained pup is best...I think if you give in now since he's relatively new to your home. You won't be showing him pack leadership...once he learns to adjust to his home...with the suggestions above. Feeding him in the crate...fill a kong and place him in the crate awhile. Leave the door of the crate open when he's not in there...so he may be tempted to use it on his own...to retrieve a toy. Maybe get a lambs wool bed liner for the bottom of the crate if you don't have one already.

But honestly...my dogs crates are their havens. Once we considered NOT assembling the crate after we arrived home from vacation...and Tank was LOST without it. He is NOT crated during the day or at night. It's just there for him to use. But he used to be crated during the night and while we were away while he was still a puppy. Until he was trusted to not injure himself by digesting something that wasn't meant to be digested. They also are crated when we have the Schwan's man visit. For he is bringing food into our home. And I don't wish to share their hair with other clients of his. So they are crated prior to his entering our home.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

heff101

Quote Originally Posted by Chunksmama View Post
    OMG you sound EXACTLY like my husband! All because I gave in to Chunk being on the couch! However, I cannot handle TWO snoring boys!!! Plus, I know it causes more separation anxiety so I just can't do it. Chunk likes his crate and sleeps there all day on his own will, so that to me means he likes it!!!
    Your husband sounds like an exceptionally great guy hahaha.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by heff101 View Post
    Your husband sounds like an exceptionally great guy hahaha.
    I'll be sure to pass that on! Him and Chunk are two of a kind ... they snore, the need MOMMY to do everything for them, and they look alike!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

@Chunksmama Sounds like they both have you trained! Cute pic!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    @Chunksmama Sounds like they both have you trained! Cute pic!
    They definitely do. Little stinkers! But now Joe knows why Chunk loves Mommy the best. It's a good think Julia, at 12 years old, is so well-behaved because two kids (Chunk and Joe) are enough!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I even crate my grandkids!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Alice Kable; 03-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Blaylock
    Bulldog(s) Names
    SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
    Likes (Received)

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, my thoughts........if your bulldog is 21 months old.......has this been an on-going issue? I personally think crates are for traveling only.
    Iffin he's running and hiding.........and where he's hiding is a safe spot.....and he doesn't pee.........let him stay out. Fold the crate up......and stow it.
    When I here about all these bulldogs being put in crates I can't for the life of me wonder why? I mean.......English Bulldogs crave love and attention
    putting them in crates.......just stresses them out because........they can read it as a rejection of love. Why go down that road when you don't need to?
    Duke has options...he can sleep on his mat in the bedroom.........he can climb his steps into my bed.......or he can sleep on his couch in the den. He has never had an accident and has had the run of the house for over 5 years.

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Okay...I missed the peeing in the crate. Some will pee on a bed if there is a blanket or bed in the crate. It absorbs it. If you have a bed or blanket in the crate I would suggest removing it for the time being. And yes...pick up the water a few hours before bedtime. Once he has learned to sleep in the crate...and your comfortable leaving him out. I would say just leave the crate door open and let him choose how he'll sleep. But...I think it's important to have a dog crate trained. For there will be times he'll need crated and it could cause him stress if he doesn't accept it now. As I stated earlier...like an overnight visit at the vets. Being crate trained will cause less stress later on for certain situations. He's new to your home...I would think it important to show him now that he can't show bad behavior and have something removed because he doesn't like it. Once he realizes he has to sleep in the crate...I would make him sleep in it at least a month without mishap. Then...if you want leave the crate door open during the night...but let him concur his issues with the crate before doing so. ;o)
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads