Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crate Or Not

heff101

Default Re: Crate Or Not

I think to heck with the crate.
    We used to crate him during the day while at work (never longer then 3 hours at a time) and now we leave him out and he has had no accidents yet.
    So tonight we will simply leave him out and leave the door open and see what happens.
    He is so calm and submissive its amazing.
    He also does not play with toys...weird.
    Thanks all for your suggestions. Will let you know tomorrow how we do tonight!! lol
    PS
    I would let him sleep with us but my wife says nooooooooo wayyyyyyyy......give it a few months and wanna bet his butt will be on our bed hahahaha.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@heff101 Forgive me if you've already posted this and I've either forgotton or missed it ... but was Heff a rescue?? Just wondering if there is something deeper going on which there often is with rescue dogs.

Otherwise, I would suggest you move the crate upstairs into your bedroom during the night maybe??? That way he's with you but not on the bed.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

We have Belly's crate in the kitchen...she had free roam of the kitchen and goes in her kennel to sleep. We would feed her in it and she doesn't mind it at all ..in fact when she goes to time out in it, she just goes to sleep... Some dogs just don't do well in a crate period. My first bully would never go in a crate..we woke up to a bully,crate,walls and carpet dripping in we never put her in it again and she slept with us.

We have to keep the puppy in one..so far I've found a penny,wire and a band aide in her mouth...God knows what I didn't catch...

If he's fine without being in a crate, toss it
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Vegas use to do well out of the crate. But he has epilepsy..and if he has a seizure when no one is home, I don't want him to hurt himself. With that being said, Vegas is a good boy. He has gotten into stuff..like the lazy susan. (video in the bullytube section) Also...he had his share of shake n bake (video in the bully tube section) So, it's not that you are trying to protect your house from him, but you need to protect him from the house.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

lex has never liked his crate we had even moved his crate next to the bed and he still wanted out, he never wanted up on the bed just out of that dang ol crate!!! bo has actually taken over the crate and its in the office, and lex walks past it through out the day, the door is open and he wont even look twice at it. so we block off part of the house when we are gone or he is put in one of the rooms we put out water and his safe toys turn the radio on and he does fine all by his self.. although we did end up crate training him the only time he is crated is when we are at someone elses house at nite.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

heff101

Ok so last night we decided to not put (or rather force) him into his crate. We simply left the door open. We went to bed and it took Heff about 1 hour to settle down. He wondered around the house tried sleeping here and there and in the end the little beggar settled down in his kennel! He slept in it all night with the door open and no peeing.
    So I guess he just simply did not like having the door closed on him.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Yay ... glad you got it figured out!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

I can't be of much help.. Chester loves his crate.. he'll go in there on his own.
    It's a Bully thing <3

When the bully was created, it licked the hand of God and God stroked its head, saying, "What do you want, baby bully?" It replied, "My Lord, I want to stay with you, in heaven, on a mat in front of the gate."

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by heff101 View Post
    I think to heck with the crate.
    We used to crate him during the day while at work (never longer then 3 hours at a time) and now we leave him out and he has had no accidents yet.
    So tonight we will simply leave him out and leave the door open and see what happens.
    He is so calm and submissive its amazing.
    He also does not play with toys...weird.
    Thanks all for your suggestions. Will let you know tomorrow how we do tonight!! lol
    PS
    I would let him sleep with us but my wife says nooooooooo wayyyyyyyy......give it a few months and wanna bet his butt will be on our bed hahahaha.
    OMG you sound EXACTLY like my husband! All because I gave in to Chunk being on the couch! However, I cannot handle TWO snoring boys!!! Plus, I know it causes more separation anxiety so I just can't do it. Chunk likes his crate and sleeps there all day on his own will, so that to me means he likes it!!!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

heff101

Ok so we have actually taken down the crate all together and returned it to Wally World.
    No use having it around if he will never use it.
    He much prefers not having it and to be honest spends most of his night sleeping on the floor next to his bed. I think dog beds are to soft and their face and nose sinks into them to much and makes it hard for them to sleep. When Heff is on it he generally will have his head off the bed on the floor. I think its easier for him to breath this way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads